Study in Canada from Ethiopia: Admission, Visa, Scholarships
An African student’s decision to study in Canada from Ethiopia offers numerous benefits, from high educational standards to a reasonable standard of living to the opportunity to work as a student and many more. For this reason, many students from Ethiopia choose to study in Canada to enjoy the various benefits the country can offer.
Whether entering Canada as a fresh student or after working for some time, the country always has something special for you. We have compiled a lot in this article that you need to know, ranging from admission to the cost of studying and visa. We hope you will enjoy a great read.
Why Study in Canada from Ethiopia?
Canada is one of the top destinations to study across the world. Various reasons gave Canada an edge over other countries for international study destinations.
Canada is blessed with world-class cities, the longest coastlines, bustling cities, and multiculturalism, reasons many Ethiopian students will always choose Canada over other countries. Hundreds of students from Addis Ababa, Mekelle, Gondar, and other popular Ethiopian cities move to Canada yearly for school.
Among other benefits, Ethiopian students seek to immigrate to Canada at the end of their academic programs. Many temporary and permanent residence pathways are available to international students in Canada, including those from Ethiopia.
Significant benefits of studying in Canada from Ethiopia include:
- Haven: one of the conditions for choosing a country for studies is the safety and peace the country promises. Canada has proven to be one of the safest places for students from Ethiopia. The country is free from all forms of discrimination and racialism. The country always puts the necessary measures in place to guarantee the safety of the students. In addition, medical insurance is quite affordable, making healthcare affordable for students from Ethiopia.
- Rich multiculturalism: although English and French are the official languages of Canada, the people have open arms towards people of other cultures who come with their diverse cultures, religions, and language to enrich the country. As a student from Ethiopia, you will have the opportunity to interact with students of other backgrounds, building networks simultaneously.
- Quality education and scholarship: one of the places to obtain affordable and quality higher education is in Canada. With a higher academic standard, you are provided with the best education that could help you pursue an outstanding career in the future. Besides, numerous scholarship opportunities are available to Ethiopian students in Canada, which various individuals and organizations provide.
- Work permit: a work permit visa is available to international students after graduation. You can continue living and working in Canada for three years before becoming a permanent resident of the country. While studying, you can work up to 20 hours with your study permit. There are various opportunities within and around the campus for this purpose.
- Thriving student community: there are diverse and successful student communities in Canada. You can find some of the communities for Ethiopian students where you can meet and interact with your people. You can also join numerous other communities to learn from others in various ways.
Unsurprisingly, a Student from Ethiopia will wish to study in Canada. But it might become a daunting journey when you have no idea where to start.
Besides, every university in Canada has its requirements, making things even more tricky. Never mind, to get into a Canadian university as an Ethiopian student.
Make sure you meet all requirements. Gaining admission to study in any school in Canada from Ethiopia does not happen overnight. Therefore, it would be best if you started making preparations at least one year in advance.
Check out the several courses you have in mind and consider their requirements. Although each province has its requirements, the general requirements include the following:
- An up-to-date passport.
- Bank details as proof of how you will sponsor your education.
- An English or French-language proficiency qualification.
- Find a course and select the university. You will need to apply for a specific major when you are applying to study in Canada, unlike the UK, which offers more flexibility.
- Take English or French exam. Most universities in Canada opt for IELTS or TEF. There are other exams like the Cambridge English Advanced, TOEFL, DALF, DELF, or TCF, and they can stand for IELTS or TEF. The exam fee is around CAD 150.
- Apply to universities. When you apply to the universities of your choice, they will send you an application pack detailing everything you need to know. The application fee ranges between CAD 100 and CAD 250. Once you send your application, you can wait for the school to contact you. Confirm with the university you choose, and they will send an acceptance letter to you.
- Apply for your visa/study permit. You can apply online or visit the immigration office in your country, where you will need to pay CAD 150 for the visa fee. The following will be required of you:
- Acceptance letter.
- Current passport.
- Proof that you can support yourself in Canada.
- Make arrangements to travel to Canada. Once your study permit is approved, you can start planning to relocate to Canada. Make necessary arrangements for your accommodation, plane, and every requirement. You can ask your university for help in terms of accommodation, whether on- or off-campus.
- Arrive in Canada to start your studies. Ensure to keep all documents in place so you can easily access them. Congratulations.
Scholarships for Ethiopian Students to Study in Canada
Most Ethiopians constantly search for scholarships to study abroad, including in Canada. Since Canada has one of the best education systems, here are the top 10 scholarships in Canada for students from Ethiopia:
- Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships
- Humber International Entrance Scholarships
- Allard School of Law Entrance Awards in Canada
- OFID Scholarship Award for International Students.
- WMF Empowerment Through Education Scholarships.
- University of Manitoba Graduate Fellowships.
- Quest University Scholarships for International Students in Canada.
- MMMF Grants for Women of Developing Countries in USA/Canada.
- African Leaders of Tomorrow Scholarship Program
- UBC International Leaders of Tomorrow Award, etc.
Criteria for Applying for a Canadian Scholarship
To be eligible for a scholarship, you must be enrolled in an undergraduate or postgraduate program as an international student. You can apply for a partial or full-time scholarship.
A full scholarship takes care of all your studies expenses, while a partial scholarship covers specific needs, giving the option of taking care of the rest. To apply for the scholarships, go to the scholarship portals for step-by-step instructions on how to apply. There is no specific application procedure, as each scholarship varies.
Are you looking for a suitable job sector after graduation? You can read this!
Types of programs Ethiopian students can study in Canada
Most schools offer a variety of program types for students all over the world, including Ethiopia.
- Certificate programs: This requires the completion of two semesters or one year of study.
- Diploma programs: This requires at least two years for completion.
- Degree programs: It offers the best of a solid theoretical foundation and practical skills to apply your knowledge. It covers four years.
- Graduate certificate programs require a college certificate or university degree for admission. It builds on knowledge obtained in the previous study level.
- Collaborative and joint degree programs are offered jointly by a college and partnering university.
- Co-op programs are scheduled periods of employment in relevant fields within the academic year. They are paid programs and could be one of the prerequisites for employment.
Cost of studying in Canada from Ethiopia
Studying in Canada offers a priceless reward. However, it will cost you to be able to enjoy the opportunity. Below is the cost of studying in Canada from Ethiopia:
Tuition fees for Ethiopian Students
The annual tuition varies according to your location, program of study, and the school in question. You can pay, on average, CAD 29,714 for undergraduate programs and CAD 17,744 for postgraduate programs. If you’re looking to take up a business program, check MBA tuition in Canada.
The average cost of living for students in Canada
- Accommodation – between CAD 3000 and CAD 8400, excluding bills per year.
- Health insurance CAD 600 – 800 per year.
- Utilities – CAD 158. 77 per year.
- Feeding – CAD 27 per month.
- Other expenses – CAD 300 per month.
Study loan for Ethiopian students in Canada
If enrolled at a Canadian school, you can apply for a student loan without a consignee. The loan covers the cost of your studies and other expenses such as books, food, and accommodation. The loans are offered through private lenders, each having a unique requirement for you to access the loan.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does it cost to study in Canada from Ethiopia?
The average tuition is CAD 29,714 for undergraduate and CAD 17,744 for postgraduate programs.
What is the best time to apply for study in Canada from Ethiopia?
You can apply between September and January.
How to study in Canada after graduation from Ethiopia?
To gain admission to study a postgraduate program in Canada, you will need an undergraduate degree from a reputable university or its equivalent. In addition, there may be other educational requirements you may need to fulfill.
Do I need IELTS or TOEFL to study in Canada from Ethiopia?
Yes, you do. However, other test scores may suffice, like Cambridge English Advanced and CAEL.
What is the population of Ethiopia in Canada?
According to the 2016 Canadian Census, the number of Ethiopians in Canada is 44,065.
Can I work as a student in Canada?
Yes, you can, as long as you have your student permit. However, you cannot exceed a maximum of 20 hours per week.
Is Canada the best country for Ethiopian students?
Canada may not be the best country for your studies, but it offers incredible opportunities for you, even after graduation.
Who can sponsor Ethiopian students to Canada?
Your sponsor can be your parents, relatives, or guardians. What matters the most is your ability to prove that your sponsor can take care of your studies through your bank statement.
Your dreams of studying in Canada from Ethiopia are valid. You can make it come through if you want to.