Indeed, you can come to study in Canada from Fiji as long as you have a Fiji School Leaving Certificate or have graduated from a degree program.
Besides, graduates of top Fijian universities, which include the University of Fiji, Fiji National University, and the University of the South Pacific, immigrate to Canada for greater opportunities, as well as to enroll in a graduate degree program in any of its institutions.
Nevertheless, bilateral relations exist between Canada and Fiji. Both countries are also members of the World Health Organization, United Nations, International Monetary Fund, World Trade Organization, and Pacific Islands Forum.
However, the contents of this article will guide you if you intend to apply for admission to study in Canada from Fiji.
You will find much helpful information, ranging from popular provinces to academic programs, average tuition fees to scholarships and study loans.
In this article
- Why Study in Canada from Fiji?
- Popular Canadian Provinces for Fijian Students
- Types of Programs Fijian Students can Study in Canada
- Cost of studying in Canada from Fiji
- Who can sponsor Fijian students to Canada
- Study loan for Fijian students in Canada
- Other costs to put into consideration to study in Canada from Fiji
- Scholarship for Fijian students in Canada
- General eligibility for scholarships
- Organizations that offer scholarships to Fijians
- How to apply for a scholarship to study in Canada from Fiji
- Difference between fully funded and partially funded scholarships in Canada
- How to Apply for Admission to Canada from Fiji
- Minimum academic requirements to meet before applying for admission
- English/French language requirements
- Other requirements to meet to qualify for Canada’s institutions’ requirements
- Steps to apply for admission from Fiji
- Self-application vs. use of consultants/representatives.
- Applying for Canada Study Visa from Fiji
- Study permit Canada requirements
- Study Permit Canada Fees
- Study permit Canada document checklist
- Study Permit Canada Processing Time
- Paper vs. online application for Canada’s study permit
Why Study in Canada from Fiji?
Do you need more certainty about the benefits of studying in Canada as a Fijian student? Then, read below to know why many Fijians leave Fiji for Canada.
- Firstly, Canada is one of the most peaceful nations in the world. Aside from being a friendly country, Fijians also share the same rights as Canada’s citizens.
- Secondly, Fijian students can work on-campus and off-campus in Canada using only their study permits.
Thus, you will be opportune to work part-time (20 hours/week) during semesters. You can also work full-time (40 hours/week) during breaks.
- Thirdly, the colleges and universities in Canada have lively and exciting campuses. Hence, you will have more fun studying through student clubs, events, and activities.
- Fourthly, studying in Canada from Fiji is less pricey, unlike traveling to other countries.
- Fifthly, you can apply for scholarships and student loans in Canada.
- Undoubtedly, there are immigration programs that eventually help students who came to study in Canada from Fiji to become permanent residents.
Popular Canadian Provinces for Fijian Students
Suppose you intend to enroll in a program in Canada from Fiji. In that case, consider applying to institutions in these provinces due to their larger population of Fijian students.
Types of Programs Fijian Students can Study in Canada
- Undergraduate programs: Of course, the colleges and universities in Canada offer wide-ranging undergraduate programs such as Associate’s and Bachelor’s degree programs.
You can apply for any of these undergraduate programs with your Fiji School Leaving Certificate.
- Diploma programs:
- Undergraduate diploma: Without a doubt, Fiji School Leaving Certificate is required to apply for undergraduate diploma programs in Canada. This diploma program usually lasts for 1 or 2 years of study.
- Graduate DiplomaDiploma: You need higher education certificates to apply for a graduate diploma program in Canada.
Thus, you must complete your first degree in a Fijian post-secondary institution such as the University of the South Pacific, Fiji National University, University of Fiji, etc.
- Masters: This degree program involves two (2) years of study.
Moreover, you need a bachelor’s degree certificate to enroll in a master’s degree program in Canada.
- MBA: A master of Business Administration degree is highly advanced than other master’s degree programs.
As a professional certification, MBA takes not less than two (2) years to complete and earn the degree.
- Ph.D./DPhil: Doctor of Philosophy is the maximum degree program attainable after studying for at least three (3) years in Canada.
Cost of studying in Canada from Fiji
The amount of money you will spend to study in Canada differs by institution and program.
Therefore, knowing the average tuition fee for international students in Canada is vitally important to plan your budget appropriately.
However, the average tuition fee for most undergraduate programs in Canada ranges from CAD 13,000 to CAD 18,000 per academic year.
In addition, graduate programs (Master’s, MBA & Doctorate) cost an average fee ranging from CAD 7,000 to CAD 32,000, depending on the type of program.
Nevertheless, you need to reserve some money, which is the minimum personal support in Canada. This amount must be CAD 10,000 or less.
Who can sponsor Fijian students to Canada
- Father or mother/both parents
- Family member
- Employer, etc
Study loan for Fijian students in Canada
Of course, study loans are beneficial to international students who apply to study in Canada from Fiji.
Examples of these international student loans include MPOWER Financing, ScotiaLine® Personal Line of Credit for Students, and Royal Credit Line for Students.
However, these study loans are open to Fijian students in Canada with low-interest rates and no requirements for cosigners and collateral.
Other costs to put into consideration to study in Canada from Fiji
- Round-trip flight cost: CAD 1,050
- Student fees: CAD 400
- Health insurance: CAD 650
- Books: CAD 300
Scholarship for Fijian students in Canada
Indeed, you can apply for scholarships to partially or fully fund your tuition to study in Canada from Fiji.
Thus, the following scholarships are available to Fijian students in Canada.
- CSA Group Graduate Scholarship: This partial funding scholarship is open to international students, including Fijians who registered in a master’s degree program in Canada.
Moreover, your discipline must be social sciences, engineering, or health sciences.
- University of Guelph International Undergraduate Entrance Scholarships: This scholarship offers partial funding to international students, including Fijians who are studying to earn a bachelor’s degree program in Canada.
- University of Waterloo Arthur F. Church Entrance Scholarships: As a Fijian undergraduate student, you can apply for this scholarship to get partial funding.
- David Johnston – Lebovic Foundation International Experience Awards: This is a partial funding scholarship available to international students enrolled in bachelor’s and master’s degree programs in Canada.
General eligibility for scholarships
You may not need to apply to get an entrance scholarship in Canada. This is because they are typically merit-based.
For the most part, scholarships provided by organizations require you to score an admissions average, not below 70%.
You may also need to express dedication toward the development of the Canadian community.
Besides, some scholarships require active participation in sports, student unions, and more.
Organizations that offer scholarships to Fijians
Canadian and multinational organizations offer scholarships to Fijian students in Canada.
- United Nations Educational Scientific and Cultural Organization – UNESCO
- Aga Khan Foundation
- Rotary Foundation
How to apply for a scholarship to study in Canada from Fiji
Aside from entrance scholarships, you can apply for other scholarships in Canada by;
- Visit the scholarship/sponsor’s website for information on eligibility criteria, requirements, and procedures to apply.
- Send the application with supporting documents as soon as possible without exceeding the deadline.
- Finally, wait to receive a decision.
Difference between fully funded and partially funded scholarships in Canada
Without a doubt, the significant difference between fully funded and partially funded scholarships is that full scholarships cover all necessary expenditures to study in Canada. In contrast, partially funded scholarships exempt some of the fees.
How to Apply for Admission to Canada from Fiji
Applying for admission into Canadian post-secondary institutions is truly very easy.
Notwithstanding, you must fulfill all minimum academic requirements before applying for admission into your preferred educational program.
Minimum academic requirements to meet before applying for admission
Below are the academic requirements that should be considered before sending an application for admission to Canada’s post-secondary institution.
- Firstly, your education level should be at least high school grade 12 if you wish to apply for an undergraduate program of study in Canada from Fiji.
If you plan to enroll in a graduate program of study, it is required that you have graduated from a recognized university in Fiji.
- Secondly, your admissions average must be at least 70%.
English/French language requirements
Undeniably, the language requirement is paramount to studying in Canada from Fiji.
Hence, you can submit the results of these English or French proficiency tests to pass the language requirement.
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
- Canadian Academic English Language (CAEL) exam
- Test d’Evaluation de Français Canada (TEF)
- Test de Connaissance du Français Canada (TCF)
- Pearson Test of English (PTE)
- Duolingo English Test
Other requirements to meet to qualify for Canada’s institutions’ requirements
- To begin with, you must provide a concise letter of intent or statement of purpose that elaborates on your intention to study in Canada from Fiji.
- Secondly, you need to get reference letter(s) from your instructor, sports coach, and others.
Steps to apply for admission from Fiji
Indeed, the following steps can help you simplify the processes of applying for admission to study in Canada from Fiji.
- Firstly, check online for the college or university’s admission requirements and available programs, amongst other information.
- Secondly, apply for admission and send all documents & certificates required by the institution. In addition, you need to pay the application fee online.
- Thirdly, consider the institution’s admission processing time.
- Fourthly, you can apply for a Canadian study permit if the institution sends you a Letter of Acceptance (LOA).
- Lastly, head to Canada as soon as your study permit has been issued.
Self-application vs. use of consultants/representatives.
Of course, self-application involves applying for admission to study in Canada from Fiji without any external aid. i.e., on your own.
Besides, you can allow a Fijian educational consultant to represent you at a particular cost. Their experience and license will go a long way in your application to study in Canada from Fiji.
However, a representation form is required to involve a representative/consultant in your application.
Applying for Canada Study Visa from Fiji
This section covers wide-ranging information that is resourceful in getting a study visa/permit in Canada.
Study permit Canada requirements
Here are the requirements to get Canada’s study permit.
- Firstly, you must meet the minimum age requirement of 18 years and a maximum of 35 years.
- Secondly, you need to provide IRCC with a copy of your acceptance letter from a Designated Learning Institution.
- Thirdly, you must prove your criminal records through a clearance certificate from the police.
- Fourthly, you need to prove that provisions have been made for your tuition, accommodation, and living expenses by tendering proof of fund(s), such as a statement of account.
- Sixthly, you must demonstrate your present health condition through an Immigration Medical Examination (IME) report.
- Lastly, it would be best to clarify your eagerness to leave Canada upon your visa expiry by showing a round-trip flight ticket to the visa officer.
Study Permit Canada Fees
Certainly, the cost of applying for Canada’s study permit is 150 Canadian Dollars.
Study permit Canada document checklist
The following credentials and documents should be prepared before applying for Canada’s study permit.
- Valid Fijian passport
- Two passport-sized photos
- Acceptance letter from a Designated Learning Institution
- Letter of reference or recommendation letter
- Letter of Intent (LOI)
- Results of an English or French proficiency test (result must be valid)
- Proof of fund documents
- Police clearance certificate
- Report of Immigration Medical Examination
- Curriculum Vitae or résumé
- Round-trip flight ticket
- CAQ – Certificate of Acceptance of Quebec (needed to start study in Quebec)
Study Permit Canada Processing Time
You indeed have to wait for about 14 weeks to allow the processing of your study permit.
Paper vs. online application for Canada’s study permit
Certainly, you should only worry about paper applications if you have issues with the online application.
Moreover, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) recommend those study permit applicants apply online.
Study visa application offices in Fiji
There is only one Canada Visa Application Centre (VAC) in Fiji.
- VFS Global in Suva, Fiji:
Address: Level 5, Tappoo City, Corner of Usher & Scott Street,
- Visa Application Centre opening hours: every Monday to Friday, from 9 am to 5 pm.