Do you want to study in Canada from India this year? Canadian universities and colleges offer academic courses to Indian students be it undergraduate, diploma, masters and PhD programs. This article is a complete guide to help you with requirements for admission, cost of study, average tuition, visa application and scholarship options for Indian students.
Canada is sought after by many students and professionals for study and career opportunities. People consider Canada for their prospects over other countries. Living and studying in Canada encourage international students to migrate there in search of opportunities.
Table of Contents
- Why Study in Canada from India?
- Types of programs to study in Canada from India
- How much to study in Canada from India?
- Scholarship for Indian students in Canada.
- How to apply for admission in Canada from India
- Applying for a Canada study visa from India
- Frequently asked questions
Why Study in Canada from India?
Students from India are accepted by vast of Canadian institutions on annual basis. Canada, being the most welcoming country for foreign students is home to lots of students from India’s prominent cities.
As at 2021, 17% of students studying at universities in Toronto are from overseas, a good percentage of these population are Indians. Toronto is Canada’s cultural hub, known for its historical monuments, culinary festivals, and arts. It is the best place to live in Canada for Indians students.
Additionally, majority of students from Indian cities who wish to study in Canada do so with hopes to become permanent residents after completion of their programs.
Varying degree options
Whether you are aiming for a Master’s degree in Canada or an MBA in Canada, Canada has grown in popularity for higher education in recent years for Indian students. Here are some of the reasons Indian students choose to study in Canada instead of their own country:
- Affordable tuition and living expenses – Compared to other top destinations like the UK and US. In the US, Canada is quite affordable in terms of education and the cost of living.
- High standard of living: The standard of living and the quality of life is quite high in Canada. This is one of the reasons many Indian students choose to study in Canada.
- Top-notch Education: Canada is home to some of the best universities in the world including the University of Toronto, McGill University, University of Waterloo, University of Alberta, etc.
- No language barrier: English and French are languages spoken in Canada. It will be much easier for Indian students to survive. English is understood almost everywhere and is therefore ideal for international students.
Canadian Universities are world-class
In addition, Canada has many internationally recognized universities that are highly regarded around the world. The Canadian Department of Education is also promoting the admission of Indian students and other overseas students to its universities in the hope of creating a cosmopolitan environment that will make it easier for overseas students to adapt and connect with the people at the university.
Research-driven programs for Indians
Canadian colleges and universities are also valued for their detailed research in several fields that give them worldwide recognition. The university system in Canada is one of the reasons for excellent academic performance and some outstanding innovation to show.
The educational system in Canada encourages students to communicate without hesitation and to express their thoughts freely. The lectures are also designed to be interesting to motivate the students.
The students receive comprehensive feedback after their assessments. These factors help ensure that studying in Canada, its program-oriented colleges, and its broad career opportunities are successful.
Types of programs to study in Canada from India
There are numerous course options available for studying in Canada. Universities offer high-quality education with recognized degrees. Canada offers Bachelor, Master, Ph.D., Diploma, and Certificate levels; international students can choose the preferred level for the program.
At the 2nd level, the best Canadian universities offer a variety of programs. Business and finance, nursing, dentistry, engineering, and pharmacy are some of the best programs in Canada.
Courses in areas such as management, engineering, medicine, science, media, journalism, and many more; Courses in Canada are offered by world-class programs that consolidate intuitive techniques with applications in practice.
Courses in Canada use the most up-to-date teaching strategies with the latest technological advances and practical applications. Indian students are free to choose any of these courses as far as they have an interest in it.
How much to study in Canada from India?
One reason Indian students choose Canada is due to affordability of tuition fees. Foreign education in Canada is not cheap, but it is by far more affordable compared to the cost of studying in USA or the UK.
To give you an idea of the costs involved and to take the necessary precautions, the basic cost ranges are listed below.
Canadian university tuition fees for students from India is approximately CAD 7,000 to CAD 35,000 (INR 3,50,000 to 19,00,000) per academic year. The amount paid in fees often depend on the choice of programs, how many courses students register for and whether or not the student has an international status at the time of applying for admission.
Accommodation is approximately CAD 7,200 to CAD 24,000 (INR 3,91,054 to INR 13,03,515). While other Living Expenses (Grocery, transportation, etc.) should cost you around CAD 6,000 to CAD 10,000 (INR 3,23,881 to INR 5,39,802). Miscellaneous budget of about CAD 1,000 (INR 53,980) is expected.
On average, annual total tuition cost for international (Indian) student in Canada is about CAD 21,200 to CAD 66,500 (INR 11,44,382 to INR 37,78,620).
Can Indian Students secure study loan in Canada?
Like students from any other country, students studying in Canada from India can always opt for an education loan to study in Canada when the funds are lacking.
Obtaining a sanctioned loan takes a lot of time and effort, especially for Indian students from poor financial background. You should apply for a loan in good time as soon as you receive confirmation from the credit institution. Before you apply for a loan, do some research and see which banks have the best deals. We recommend you start from our list of best banks for students in Canada.
Scholarship for Indian students in Canada.
The following is a list of scholarships organizations that provide funding support to study in Canada from India:
- Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship.
- Ontario Trillium Scholarship.
- Ontario Graduate Scholarship.
- Go Clean Scholarship Humber College.
- International Entrance Scholarship.
- Waterloo Merit Scholarship.
- UBC International Leader of Tomorrow Award.
- Science and Law School Scholarship.
- Quebec Government Scholarship.
- University of Manitoba graduate scholarships and more.
How to apply for admission in Canada from India
If you are thinking of going to Canada for higher education, it is important to know the requirements to study in Canada for Indian students.
Although different universities and degree programs have their requirements and expectations, there are some general requirements for most universities that offer academic master’s programs for international students particularly Indian students.
- Completed application form from the desired university.
- Proof of a university degree with official certificates, if applicable, proof of professional title.
- For those without current academic experience, letters from employers attesting a level of analytical writing experience and skills are acceptable.
- A detailed chronological résumé that clearly describes educational achievement, work experience and progress, and other related experiences.
- A Letter of Intent (LOI) that clearly states why the applicant is applying and describes the student’s academic intentions, a credential assessment from a recognized service confirming equivalence if the applicant is presenting a degree from an unrecognized institution or if the Admissions committee requires additional analysis.
- Proof of proficiency in English (IELTS is usually accepted).
Applying for a Canada study visa from India
Ideally, International students from Indian need to apply for a study permit before coming to Canada. If you’re already in Canada through other forms of visa, you will need to apply for study permit from within Canada before you can take up a study program in any DLI.
One way to to get study visa from India is to apply online. After the online application, the documents are examined by the visa officers responsible for Indian study permit applications – usually within the specified processing time on IRCC website.
Paper route is a second way to apply for Canada study visa from India. VFS Global is the exclusive service provider for the Government of Canada, authorized to provide administrative support services to visa applicants in India. Thus, to use paper application you will have to visit VFS office in India to submit your documents.
Should additional documents be required, they can be added online using the CIC web form, which saves time for shipping. You can also keep up to date with the status of your application.
Requirements to apply for Canada study permit from India
The following documents are required to apply for a study permit:
- Proof of admission from the university (acceptance letter).
- Proof of identity.
- A valid passport, photographs, and all other identification documents.
- Proof of financial support or evidence of payment of fees/scholarship.
- Proof of the student loan or a bank statement for the last four months or another suitable document.
Frequently asked questions
How much does it cost to study in Canada from India?
The most expensive part of of studying in Canada from India is the tuition fee. It depends on the type of qualification and the institution chosen. Indian students need around CAD 7,000 to CAD 35,000 per year. The approximate cost range to study in Canada for Indian students would be between INR 3,50,000 and INR 19,000,000 annually. This amount varies depending on the course and type of program chosen.
What is the best time to apply for study in Canada from India?
The main intake time for the best courses in Canada is in Fall (September), while the low season is in Winter (January), which is reserved for a relatively small number of courses. It is recommended you start the admission process around six months before the application deadline.
How do get a scholarship to study in Canada from India?
Universities in Canada also offer scholarships to study in Canada for deserving students who cannot finance their education. When applying for scholarships, keep the following in mind: Topic and level.
The amount of funding varies between universities. The application process for the scholarship should begin around 8 to 12 months before the start of your studies, as the process takes time.
How to study in Canada after graduation from India?
One to two years of work experience to attend a Canadian university or college for a postgraduate course and English Language Proficiency – English Proficiency Test as IELTS with a minimum range of 6.
Do I need IELTS or TOEFL to study in Canada from India?
Since Canada is recognized as an English-speaking majority country, any non-native person who studies, works, and/or lives there must demonstrate sufficient language skills. Most Canadian universities prefer IELTS certification, but some also allow TOEFL, PTE, CELPIP, etc.
What is the population of Indian students in Canada?
There are 215,720 Indian international students with a permit in Canada.
Can Indian students work in Canada while studying?
Yes. Students from India may be eligible to work in Canada while studying if their study permit allows them to work. In this case, you can work on or off-campus while studying. If your study permit does not contain an explanation, you can change your study permit at no cost.
Is Canada the best country for Indian students?
Canada is one of the most popular countries for Indian students. International students choose Canada not only for its quality education but also for its immense job and public relations opportunities. During your studies, you can work part-time as well as full-time for up to 3 years on a Graduate Work Permit.
Canada offers a range of study and work opportunities for domestic and international students. We hope that all of the information we have provided will help you to apply, study, live, and work in Canada as an Indian.