Research shows that students study in Canada from Liberia due to the country’s quality of education as well as its reputation as a multicultural and tolerant society.
It is no surprise that Canada is one of the premier destination for international students, drawing over 250,000 students annually.
Liberia is a country in West Africa, bordering Sierra Leone, and Cote d’ivoire .The capital city Monrovia, is home to the National Museum in the country.
According to research, The 2014/2015 Ebola outbreak left Liberia with a fragile education system and even weaker in information and communication technology infrastructure making it hard for students to access educational resources.
The National University of Liberia is the only National University in the country, which is one of the reasons why Liberian students go for study in Canada.
Additionally, Students go for study in Canada due to the current standard of living in the country as Liberia has a very limited education system.
In this article
- Why Study in Canada from Liberia
- Benefits of Studying in Canada from Liberia
- Popular Canadian province for Liberian students
- Types of Programs Liberian Students can Study in Canada
- Undergraduate Programs
- Postgraduate Programs
- Average Tuition Fee for International Students
- Minimum Personal Support Amount in Canada
- Minimum Academic Requirements to Study in Canada from Liberia
- Steps to Apply for Admission from Liberia
- English/French Language Requirements
- How to Apply for Scholarship to Study in Canada from Liberia
- Full versus Partially Funded Scholarships
- Criteria for Study Permit in Canada for Liberian students
- Study Permit Canada Fees
- Study Permit Canada Processing Time
- Study Visa Application Offices in Liberia
Why Study in Canada from Liberia
Academic excellence is one of the reasons students choose to study in Canada from Liberia. Canadian degrees and diploma are widely recognized anywhere in the world.
Additionally, Canadian teachers, professors and researchers are also amongst the most qualified academic professionals around the world.
Canada attracts Students from Liberia because of its cutting- edge research in areas such as information technology, pharmaceuticals, medical science and artificial intelligence.
The country is also cherished for creating a welcoming environment as well as promoting multicultural diversity.
Research shows that Canada is the first country to make multiculturalism an official Canadian policy.
Canadas welcoming population and thriving multicultural environment makes it a perfect home for international students.
According to 2016 census, the total number of Liberian students studying in Canada was 9,305 across different province.
Benefits of Studying in Canada from Liberia
- Canadian government provides students with quality education in a peaceful and safe environment.
- Students can work up to 20 hours per week during school hours and full-time during schedule breaks such as summer holidays.
In addition, students also gets (PGWP) that allows them work after graduation. For instance, students who have graduated from the university can stay and work in Canada for up to three years.
Note: Only graduates from the approved Designated Learning Institution (DLI) are eligible for the Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP).
- Tuition fees in Canadian universities are affordable compared to other countries.
- As an international student, you get access to a simple and stress free application following due process.
Popular Canadian province for Liberian students
There are over 90 post-secondary institutions in Canada, offering over 15,000 undergraduate and graduate degree programs.
The following are the most popular universities for Liberian students in Canada.
- University of Waterloo located in southwestern Ontario, Queens University in Kingston.
- University of British Columbia located in Vancouver.
- Yorkville University located in Toronto.
- Brandon University in Manitoba.
Types of Programs Liberian Students can Study in Canada
Bachelor’s university programs are typically 3 to 4 years. Examples of these professional programs includes nursing, law, psychology, accounting among others. The degree is required to pursue any post- graduate degrees.
Of course, there are varieties of Master degree programs availed by Canadian institutions. These include MSc, MA, MPH, MLA, MFA, MPA, MSW, etc.
PhD is the highest degree you can get in a post-secondary institution. Doctorate degree programs usually last for a minimum of 3 years. Cost of studying in Canada from Liberia.
Average Tuition Fee for International Students
However, universities in Canada set their own fees and these vary depending on several factors: what program you are studying, whether you are studying at an undergraduate or postgraduate level.
Below are the average tuition fees for undergraduate and postgraduate Canadian post-secondary institutions.
- Undergraduate program: CAN $15,000 to CAN $22,000
- Graduate program: CAN $10,000 to CAN $25,000
Minimum Personal Support Amount in Canada
As a student studying in Canada, you are required to set aside a minimum of CAN $10,000 every year as allowances, which includes cost of flight, housing, health insurance etc.
Minimum Academic Requirements to Study in Canada from Liberia
However, there is no Canadian post-secondary institution without admission requirements. Each program has specific course and supplemental requirements.
With this in mind, you must have graduated from college if you want to apply for an undergraduate program in Canada.
Furthermore, graduate studies applicants need to have previously completed an undergraduate program from an accredited institution.
Furthermore, your admission average will be calculated based on the curriculum, grading practices and grading scale interpretation.
You need to know that some courses are also competitive than others, so aim for the highest grades you can earn.
Steps to Apply for Admission from Liberia
- To begin with, you must check the institution’s list of programs in order to confirm your course availability online.
The type of application you need also depends on whether you want to study full time or part time.
- Secondly, it is essential to check if you can afford the institution’s tuition and other fees, as well as if you have met its admission requirements.
- Thirdly, apply for admission into the college or university and submit all supporting documents as requested by the institution.
- Fourth, after you apply and submit all your documents the next step is to wait for the college or university to process your application.
- You will receive an email as soon as the school makes a decision on your application. A Letter of Acceptance from the institution will be included the mail sent to you.
Which means that you have been accepted for study into your preferred academic program.
- Lastly, you need to print and submit your study permit when applying for visa. If your study permit application gets approval, you can leave your country to study in Canada.
If your offer is conditional, you need to send your transcripts to show that you have met your admission conditions.
English/French Language Requirements
Although, English is the official language in Liberia but educational institutions will require you to provide proof of your language proficiency in order for you to be offered admission.
IELTS is one of the accepted exams. You need to contact the school for their international student application requirements for Liberian Nationals.
Canadian institutions accept these test results from Liberian students.
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
- Pearson Test of English (PTE)
However, the language requirement of each Canadian post-secondary institution is different from the other.
Other requirements includes
- Letter of intent or statement of purpose
This is a succinct essay usually required to be included in your admission application.
For the most part, they feature a word count of 500 or should not exceed one page.
- Reference letters
The educational institution may request you to provide letter of reference (s) from an academician, clergy, among others.
How to Apply for Scholarship to Study in Canada from Liberia
Are you a Liberian student looking for Scholarship to study in Canada? Liberian scholarships are offered to help students from Liberia overcome the financial limitations in seeking a career in the university.
If you wish to apply for a scholarship, you need to visit the college or university’s official website for directives on available application guidelines.
Colleges and post-secondary institutions in Canada provide a wide range of scholarship for Liberian students who aspire to study in Canada.
Various university scholarships, government scholarships, fellowships and so on are given to Liberians from Canada to advance the pursuit of students at global and national level.
Additionally, scholarship programs and funding options are mainly for international students who possess high academic record or qualified students whom scholarships and other financial assistance is provided.
Most importantly, the scholarship available and type of award varies between institutions. You need to know that getting a scholarship is highly competitive so you must apply in time.
Full versus Partially Funded Scholarships
Fully funded scholarships covers 100% of your tuition fee until you graduate from school while partially funded scholarships only covers part of your tuition fees.
Criteria for Study Permit in Canada for Liberian students
You need the following documents to apply for a Canada Student Visa from Liberia.
- A completed student permit application form
- Letter of acceptance from any of IRCC’s Designated Learning Institution (DLI).
- A Valid passport.
- As an international student, Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) will ask you to proof that you be able to finance your studies in Canada on your own.
- You need to undergo a medical examination with a doctor approved by the Canadian government. You can find a list of approved centers by visiting http://www.cic.gc.ca/pp-md/pp-list.aspx.
- A police certificate in order to prove that you are not an ex-convict.
- Above all, it is necessary for you to prove to the visa/immigration officer that you will not stay in Canada after the expiry of your study permit.
- Two recent passport-size photographs, with your name written at the back and a photocopy of your date of birth certificate.
- A letter of intent or Statement of Purpose stating the reasons for choosing Canada over your home country and other countries
Study Permit Canada Fees
All students who are planning to study in Canada from Liberia must pay for their Canadian study permit application.
Therefore, you need to pay as sum of CAN $150 in order to apply and process your study permit.
Study Permit Canada Processing Time
Applying for a student visa from Liberia is easy to process than other counties because Canada offers a welcoming environment for students who wants to come for study.
Above all, you need to wait for about 15 to 30 days before you can get your study permit to study in Canada from Liberia.
Study Visa Application Offices in Liberia
Canada has established Visa Application Centers (VACs) in different countries of the world, but there is no VAC in Liberia. You can contact the Canadian Consulate in Abidjan
- Address: 23, Nogues Avenue Trade Center Building, 6th and 7th Plateau, Abidjan.
- Phone number: +225-2030-0700
- Website: canadainternational.gc.ca
Additionally, you can visit the center for visa application and passport collection between 9am to 5:00pm on Mondays to Fridays.
Can Liberian students work in Canada while studying?
Yes, if your study permit includes a condition that says you can work on or off campus. You can only start working in Canada when you start your program as a student.
What is the average salary for Liberian students in Canada?
The average salary for Liberian students working in Canada is $19/ hour and $37,000 per year.
What is the age limit for Canada student visa from Liberia?
Liberian students must be between 18 – 35 years of age to apply for student visa.
When does my study permit expire?
Your study permit expires 90 days from the date of graduation.