Are you thinking of submitting an application to study in Canada from Malawi but do not know how to go about it?
Worry no more as this article is resourceful to all Malawian students who want to gain international experience, skills and certification by studying in a Canadian college or university.
Moreover, you will be able to know about applying for admission, study permit, loans and scholarships to study in Canada from Malawi.
In this article
- Why Study in Canada from Malawi?
- Popular Canadian Provinces for Malawian students
- Types of Programs Malawian Students can Study in Canada
- Cost of Studying in Canada from Malawi
- Average Tuition Fee for International Students
- Minimum Personal Support Amount in Canada
- Who can sponsor Malawian students to Canada
- Study Loan for Malawian Students in Canada
- Other costs to think about to study in Canada from Malawi
- Scholarship for Malawian Students in Canada
- General Eligibility for Scholarships
- Organizations that offer Scholarships to Malawians
- How to Apply for Scholarship to Study in Canada from Malawi
- Full vs. Partially Funded Scholarships
- How to Apply for Admission in Canada from Malawi
- Minimum academic requirements
- English/French language requirements
- Other requirements
- Steps to apply for admission from Malawi
- Self application vs. use of consultants/representatives
- Applying for Canada Study Visa from Malawi
- Study Permit Canada Requirements
- Study Permit Canada Fees
- Study Permit Canada Document Checklist
- Study Permit Canada Processing Time
- Paper vs. Online Application
- Study Visa Application Offices in Malawi
- How to check study permit application status
Why Study in Canada from Malawi?
As a Malawian student, you may need to consider applying to study in Canada from Malawi for the following reasons.
- Firstly, the tuition fee for Malawian students in Canada is not too expensive
- Secondly, Canada’s overall standard of living is moderate
- Thirdly, there are many employment opportunities in Canada. Hence, you can get employment shortly after graduation.
- Fourthly, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) offer several immigration programs that enables students who came to study in Canada from Malawi to become permanent residents.
- Fifthly, acquiring international experience is easy when you come to study in Canada from Malawi.
- Sixthly, you can access several financial aids peculiarly for students who arrived to study in Canada from Malawi, and other foreign countries.
- Above all, Canadian educational institutions offer first-rate learning and academic programs. They are also notable in all parts of the world.
Popular Canadian Provinces for Malawian students
Undoubtedly, there are more Malawian students registered to a program of study in Canada at an institution in the following Canadian provinces.
- British Columbia
- New Brunswick
Types of Programs Malawian Students can Study in Canada
Similarly, the available types of academic programs in Canada are almost the same with that of Malawi.
Besides, Canadian colleges and universities deliver courses to students professionally. They also offer more programs to Malawians across various fields of study. These programs exceed what you can get in Malawi.
However, below are programs you can apply to study in Canada from Malawi.
- Undergraduate programs: Of course, the colleges and universities in Canada offer thousands of undergraduate programs.
After high school graduation, you can apply to study in Canada from Malawi for any of these programs inasmuch as you meet its requirements.
- Graduate programs:
- Diploma (GDip): Certificates of graduate diploma programs are often required before you can apply for Masters or MBA in Canada.
- Masters: Certainly, many Malawian students are studying one Master degree program or the other in Canada. Moreover, Master programs are available throughout various disciplines in Canadian post-secondary institutions.
- MBA – Master in Business Administration degree: As a professional graduate program, studying MBA in Canada is expensive than other postgraduate programs.
Above all, it involves two (2) years of study with a valid Canadian study permit.
- PhD/Doctorate: PhD degree programs are only offered in universities and are the most supreme degree awarded.
Moreover, it requires at least three (3) years of rigorous researches and classes to complete a PhD program.
Cost of Studying in Canada from Malawi
Indeed, studying in Canada cost a lot of funds as a Malawian student. These costs are inevitable except when you apply for scholarships in order to cover for your tuition (partially or fully).
Average Tuition Fee for International Students
If you hope to get admission to study in Canada from Malawi, it is vital that you know how much it cost to enroll in your preferred program at a Canadian college or university.
For this reason, we provide you with the average tuition costs for various academic programs in Canada.
- Undergraduate programs: CAD $10,000 to CAD $22,000 (6,580,090 MWK to 14,472,550 MWK)
- Graduate programs:
- Masters degree programs: CAD $10,000 to CAD $25,000 (6,580,090 MWK to 16,446,080 MWK)
- MBA: CAD $23,000 to CAD $35,000 (15,130,390 MWK to 23,024,510 MWK)
- PhD/Doctorate: CAD $7,000 to CAD $15,000 (4,604,900 MWK to 9,867,645 MWK)
Minimum Personal Support Amount in Canada
Without doubts, you will need to incur some other expenses upon your arrival to Canada.
Therefore, it is essential that not less than CAD $10,000 (6,580,090 Malawian Kwachas) is saved up for your living expenses.
Who can sponsor Malawian students to Canada
If you look forward to study in Canada from Malawi, you can be sponsored by your;
- Parents (father or mother)
- Family member or relative
- Employer, amongst other persons
Study Loan for Malawian Students in Canada
Of course, Malawian students are among the 190+ eligible countries of international students who are eligible for MPOWER Financing study loan.
Thus, you can contact MPOWER Financial for help in applying for the student loan.
Below are benefits of MPOWER Financial student loan.
- Fixed, low interest rates
- Can receive study loan as high as $100,000 Canadian Dollars
- Cosignatory not required
- Visa support letters at no cost
- Can apply to cover for previous, present and subsequent academic terms
- Access to unique career strategy services
Other costs to think about to study in Canada from Malawi
Undoubtedly, you must pay the following fees aside from your tuition.
- Flight cost from Lilongwe, Malawi to Toronto, Canada: up to CAD $1,050 (equivalent to 690,900 MWK). Take note you have to pay additional fee if your baggage are much.
- Health insurance: CAD $700 (equivalent to 460,605 MWK)
- Textbooks: CAD $400 (equivalent to 263,205 MWK)
Scholarship for Malawian Students in Canada
Certainly, this segment has information on several things you would love to know about scholarships in Canada.
General Eligibility for Scholarships
Generally speaking, most Canadian colleges and university offer entrance scholarships, which are basically for students who are entering the institution for a program.
Moreover, these entrance scholarships do not need application or any special requirement rather than scoring a minimum admission average of 70%.
In addition, you can apply for scholarships being sponsored by certain individuals or organizations to students who desire to study in Canada from Malawi.
Each of these scholarship eligibility requirements differs. Thus, you need to act based on instructions.
Organizations that offer Scholarships to Malawians
Indeed, multitude of organizations makes provision of scholarships to Malawian students in Canada such as;
- Rotary Foundation
How to Apply for Scholarship to Study in Canada from Malawi
Of course, you do need to apply to get an entrance scholarship in Canada.
Furthermore, application is often necessary to earn scholarships offered by organizations and personalities to international students who came to study in Canada from Malawi.
Hence, you need to check the scholarship’s website for procedures in applying for it.
Full vs. Partially Funded Scholarships
Without doubt, full scholarships will pay the whole cost of your tuition regardless of the amount.
Besides, partially funded scholarships normally fund up to 50% of your tuition.
How to Apply for Admission in Canada from Malawi
Below are series of information that are useful when applying to study in Canada from Malawi.
Minimum academic requirements
Indeed, you are required to satisfy the academic requirements below in order to be eligible to study in Canada from Malawi.
Undergraduate program requirements
Official transcripts and certificates of high school education with a minimum admissions average of 70%.
Besides, the colleges and universities in Canada accept certificate or examination result of Malawi School Certificate of Education (MSCE).
Graduate program requirements
If you are submitting post-secondary education certificate to apply for a graduate program in Canada, the certificate must be from a renowned college or university in Malawi.
These include University of Malawi, Mzuzu University, Malawi University of Science and Technology, as well as Lilongwe University of Agriculture and Natural Resources.
English/French language requirements
As one of the requirements to study in Canada from Malawi, you need to provide a valid result of any of the following language tests.
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
- Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program (CELPIP)
- Cambridge Assessment English test (C1 Advanced/C2 Proficiency)
- Canadian Academic English Language (CAEL) test
- Pearson Test of English (PTE)
- Canadian Test of English for Scholars and Trainees (CanTEST)
- Duolingo English Test
- Test de Connaissance du Français (TCF)
- Michigan English Test
- Test d’Évaluation du Français (TEF)
- Statement of Purpose/Letter of intent (500 words)
- Consent Form
- Letter of reference (s)
- ArriveCAN receipt (can be gotten from ArriveCan Mobile application)
Steps to apply for admission from Malawi
Undoubtedly, the following steps are useable as guide to apply for study in Canada from Malawi.
- Decide on the program you intend to study in Canada. Afterwards, use the internet to know the colleges and universities offering such programs and its cost.
- Work on satisfying the institution’s admission requirements.
- Apply online for the college or university’s admission. Then submit all supporting documents with official transcripts before due date.
- Pay application fee
- Allow for admission processing
- Apply for study permit as soon as you receive an acceptance letter from the college or university.
- Leave for Canada
Self application vs. use of consultants/representatives
Of course, you cannot only apply to study in Canada from Malawi by yourself but also by reaching out to a consultant or representative.
Hence, here are some educational consultants that are hirable in Malawi via use of a representation form.
- Job Centre Limited, Lilongwe, Malawi
Address: Second Floor, TAMA House, City Centre,
- Premier International Consultant:
Address: P.O.box-1531, Lilongwe Malawi
Phone number: +265 999 24 36 53
Applying for Canada Study Visa from Malawi
Certainly, this section covers a wide range of information that can help in your study visa application.
Study Permit Canada Requirements
Generally speaking, you cannot leave Malawi to study in Canada without a valid study permit.
With this mind, you are expected to meet Canadian study visa requirements, which includes;
- Minimum age of 18 years old. However, your parents need to assist you in the application if you are below 18 years
- Proof of most recent education through official transcripts and certificates
- Police certificate
- Recent proof of funds (statement of accounts, bank draft, evidence of tuition fee payment, etc)
- CV or resume
- Recent results of an Immigration Medical Examination (IME)
- Return flight tickets, which proves your readiness to leave after study
- Explanation letter
- Declaration form with your parents or guardian signature
- Minimum personal support amount of $10,000 Canadian Dollars, which is equivalent to 6,580,090 MWK.
Study Permit Canada Fees
If you have in mind to apply to study in Canada from Malawi, a payment of $150 Canadian Dollars must be made for your study permit application.
Study Permit Canada Document Checklist
The following are list of documents that must be included in your application for Canadian study permit.
- Valid passport
- Acceptance letter
- Declaration form
- Curriculum vitae or resume
- Proof of fund documents
- Immigration Medical Examination (IME) results
- Letter of explanation
- Certificat d’acceptation du Québec (CAQ) (if acceptance letter was issued by an institution in Quebec)
Study Permit Canada Processing Time
The processing time of Canada’s study permit is approximately 14 weeks
Paper vs. Online Application
If you do not know whether to apply on paper/online for your visa to study in Canada from Malawi, you have no option than to opt for online application.
This is because IRCC has stated firmly that international students, including Malawians must apply online except in cases where they are having certain issues.
Study Visa Application Offices in Malawi
Here is the address and contact information of the visa application office in Malawi.
- Canadian Honorary Consulate in Blantyre, Malawi:
Address: Chipembere Highway, P.O. Box 5317
Telephone: +265 212 600 600
Fax: (+265) 1 871 887
Email: [email protected]
How to check study permit application status
Finally, you can confirm the application status of your Canadian study permit via a sign in with your GCKey or Canadian online banking information.
What is best time to apply for study in Canada from Malawi?
Any time between March to August
Do I need IELTS or TOEFL to study in Canada from Malawi?
Indeed, valid test results of both IELTS and TEOFL are accepted from Malawians to apply for study in Canada. Thus, you can enroll in your preferred language test.
Can Malawian students work in Canada while studying?
Of course, Malawian students can apply for jobs in Canada and work for 20 hours/week during an academic session. However, you can work up to 40 hours/week while on breaks.