Many students like studying abroad in Canada because of the country’s breathtaking scenery, harsh weather, and many opportunities for exploration. Canada’s main cities, Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver, account for about half of the country’s 35 million population and have become the most popular study abroad locations in Canada.
With that in mind, there are a wide variety of Canadian study places to select from, whether you are looking for a fast-paced urban environment or a more laid-back rural setting.
Regardless of where you choose to study, you will have a great time immersing yourself in Canadian culture, regardless of the country’s rough landscape.
A two-year run as the greatest place to study abroad isn’t a surprise given the country’s reputation. Canadians are known for their tolerance and acceptance, which means that international Mauritanian students will feel at home irrespective of their social status.
Admission standards, tuition costs, the process of acquiring a student visa for Canada, and scholarship options for Mauritanian students are all covered in this post.
In this article
- Why Study in Canada?
- Low-cost Education
- Recognized around the globe
- College Life
- Research Opportunities that are Both Pioneering and Abundant
- Immigration Prospects
- Prospect for Mauritanian Student in Canada After Graduation
- Best Canadian Province for Mauritanian Students
- Province of British Columbia
- Province of Ontario
- Types of Programs to Study in Canada from Mauritania
- Cost of Studying in Canada from Mauritania
- Cost of Living in Canada
- Scholarships to Study in Canada from Mauritania
- List of Scholarships Programs for Mauritanian Students
- How to Apply for Admission to Study in Canada from Mauritania
- SELF APPLICATION / USE OF REPRESENTATIVES
- How to Apply for a Study Visa in Canada from Mauritania
- How to Apply for a Study Visa
- Canada Study Visa Application Office in Mauritania
- Frequently Asked Questions
Why Study in Canada?
A distinct advantage that Canada has over other Western nations is that while being part of the Western industrialized world, it offers educational opportunities at a lower price point.
Tuition is generally lower than in other major nations, however, expenses may vary by course. Students don’t have to worry about paying the fees.
Recognized around the globe
It is widely accepted that a Canadian degree, diploma, or certificate is the same as one from the United States or other Commonwealth countries.
There are four Canadian universities among the top 50 engineering and technology schools in the world, including the University of Toronto, the University of British Columbia, McGill University, and the University of Waterloo.
In Canada, life isn’t all work and no play. Post-secondary campuses in Canada provide a wide range of contemporary amenities for students to enjoy, including the most advanced technology.
A wide range of educational and recreational amenities may be found on Canadian post-secondary campuses ranging from Olympic-quality sports facilities to public music venues.
Research Opportunities that are Both Pioneering and Abundant
One of the most important aspects of a Canadian post-secondary education is research, thus there are many options to get involved in this.
Telecom, agriculture, information technology, and environmental science are all fields of study supported by both the government and business in Canada.
For many Mauritanian students, the prospect of permanent residency is a big draw. People with Canadian credentials and job experience can apply for residency in Canada without leaving the country after completing their education or training.
Prospect for Mauritanian Student in Canada After Graduation
Obtaining a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) is possible once you have completed your degree program and have met all of the conditions set out by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC).
This authorization allows you to work in Canada for three years after graduation. Because of this, you will have the opportunity to get personal knowledge of the Canadian labor market.
However, you should be informed that the PGWP is not available to all Canadian-recognized academic institutions.
Here are a few possibilities for jobs at the entry-level to think about:
- Assistant to the Administrator
- Retail Assistant Manager
- A teller at a bank
- Customer Service Agent
- Assistant in Marketing
- Sales Associate
- Assistant in Accounting
- Manager’s Assistant
- Bookkeeping Assistant
- Assistant in Human Resources
- Office Helper
- Business Analyst Intern
Best Canadian Province for Mauritanian Students
It is one of the top provinces in Canada for overseas students to study and ultimately further their careers. The University of Alberta is well-known for its research and excellence, particularly in the humanities, sciences, social sciences, business, and creative arts. International students enrolling in this province should anticipate tuition rates of between $14,000 and $16,000.
Province of British Columbia
British Columbia is home to large cities such as Vancouver and smaller villages like Victoria. While it is true that British Columbia is an English-speaking province, it also has over 700,000 French-speaking citizens. The University of British Columbia, Simon Fraser University, and many others are among the greatest universities in British Columbia.
Province of Ontario
Ontario is the most populous province in Canada. It is the ideal location to study advanced studies, which will undoubtedly propel your career to tremendous heights of success.
Ontario’s best universities include the University of Ontario, the University of Waterloo, and others.
Types of Programs to Study in Canada from Mauritania
In Canada, obtaining a Bachelor’s degree will allow you to pursue a profession in your chosen sector or continue your education for a Master’s/PhD degree.
When it comes to coursework you can take as part of your degree, undergraduate schools have a more open framework. Upon completion of each course, a specified number of credits are awarded.
The student can select from a variety of classes in the department he or she is enrolled in. There is a lot of competition to get into most colleges, and you will be required to take a competence exam if English is not your first language.
You’ll have a better chance of getting into college if you can show off your high school achievements, such as a good GPA or involvement in student organizations.
In general, you can pursue;
- Diploma program
- Undergraduate degree
- Graduate degree
Cost of Studying in Canada from Mauritania
In general, studying in Canada as a Mauritanian student is far less expensive than studying in the United Kingdom, the United States, or Australia!
Costs vary significantly depending on the university, but usually, you will be paying CA$20,000-30,000/year for undergraduate studies.
Postgraduate programs are often less expensive (about CA$16,000/year), but executive MBA programs are typically more expensive (approximately CA$30,000/year).
Cost of Living in Canada
The cost of living varies significantly, mostly based on your spending patterns and if you live in a large city.
To acquire a student visa, you need to have at least CA$10,000 each year for living expenses, while most colleges recommend saving closer to CA$15,000.
It’s usually prudent to account for any unforeseen expenses, such as winter clothing and supplies.
Scholarships to Study in Canada from Mauritania
- Diploma (Partial Funding)
- Undergraduate (Partial Funding / Fully Funded)
- Graduate (Partial Funding / Fully Funded)
- Post-graduate (Partial Funding / Fully Funded)
- Bachelors (Partial Funding)
- Masters (Partial Funding / Fully Funded)
- MBA (Partial Funding)
- Ph.D. (Partial Funding / Fully Funded)
- Post-doctorate (Partial Funding / Fully Funded)
- A foreign student who aspires to pursue a university degree in Canada
- Have gotten admission to any of the DLI-accepted schools.
- You must meet the school’s entry requirements which may include general as well as language requirements.
- You must be attending one of Canada’s Designated Learning Institutions.
- Have a high level of academic achievement at least an average of 70% or an equivalent.
- Show that you have financial difficulties that hinder you from pursuing your education.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply for any of the below scholarships, ensure to visit their website, and check each of their requirements, as it differs with each school.
List of Scholarships Programs for Mauritanian Students
- Scholarships for international students at Mount Saint Vincent University, Canada, for the academic year 2021-22
- The Hoegg Family MBA Scholarship at the University of British Columbia Sauder School of Business, Canada, 2022-23.
- Admission Scholarships for Acadia University, Nova Scotia, Canada, 2021-22
- Dean’s Admission Scholarships, Canada 2022-23, UBC Sauder School of Business
- Scholarships at LaSalle College in Vancouver, Canada, for the academic years 2021-22.
- Canada 2022-23 Killam Predoctoral Scholarships at Dalhousie University
- Scholarships for Graduate Study in Canada from Vanier
- Undergraduate Scholars International Awards for Canadian Distinction and Living Allowance
- 2021-22 University of Canada West International Pathway to Knowledge Scholarship
- Scholarships from the Canadian Provincial Government for Students, 2021-22
- The Government of Canada’s Postdoctoral Research Program
- Engineering Materials Development for Energy and Environmental Purposes Ph.D. Program
- Funding from the University of Canada West MBA Foundation, 2020-2021
How to Apply for Admission to Study in Canada from Mauritania
Each school’s site will detail the entrance criteria for various programs, which may involve documentation including personal information as well as evidence of academic achievement. Applicants must submit the following general documentation to apply:
- Passport photocopy
- Transcripts of your former academic institution;
- If applying for a Bachelor’s degree, a school-leaving certificate is required.
- If applying to a Master’s program, a bachelor’s degree certificate is required.
- Any other certificates of excellence that may be applicable
- Language proficiency certification
- If necessary, a letter of recommendation
- For Canada, a statement of purpose
- If necessary, a resume or curriculum vitae
Courses at Canadian universities will be taught in either English or French because Canada is a bilingual country, so even if you speak English or French natively, you will be required to complete a language competence exam.
IELTS is approved by all universities if you are applying to an English-speaking university. TEF is the most widely used and approved standard for French. Fees are typically in the range of $100.
STEPS TO APPLY FOR ADMISSION
Admission to Canadian institutions is generally as follows:
STEP 1: Choose the program and university where you wish to study. You will have to select between the following:
- French- or English-taught programs are available.
- The academic level of study, i.e. a bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral program.
- If a program has numerous admission cycles, it may have a fall, winter, or spring intake.
- Different provinces in Canada, if geography is a consideration.
STEP 2: After narrowing your favorites, you must visit the university site to learn about the application procedure, deadlines, seat availability, admission criteria, and scholarship opportunities, among other things.
STEP 3: Apply on the university’s website, complete the application form with your personal information, and then pay the entry cost. Get your application form in before the due date.
STEP 4: Upload the essential documentation before the deadline for application submission.
STEP 5: Register for any scholarships available in Canada if you match the required criteria.
Following that, the university will contact you, most likely through email, with an admission offer. You must next confirm your admission to the institution to be accepted.
SELF APPLICATION / USE OF REPRESENTATIVES
You can complete the process on your own, or you can hire a representative, and their responsibilities will be laid out for you as;
- Provide guidance and assistance in determining your best path to citizenship or immigration.
- Assist you in determining which immigration option is right for you
- Completing and applying for permanent residence or citizenship
- Represent your interests in dealings with the Canadian government
- Represent you at an immigration or naturalization hearing or interview
- Promote the fact that they can provide immigration and/or citizenship advice
Representatives could include:
- Immigration or citizenship consultants
- Members of the family
- A third party
How to Apply for a Study Visa in Canada from Mauritania
Without a student visa, you can study in Canada for up to six months. However, if you wish to work, you must obtain the necessary permits;
- A study permit application must include the following documents:
- Acceptance Letter — the letter of acceptance from your university.
- Identity Documentation – a valid passport will suffice.
- Sufficient Funds – CA$10,000 per year + $833 every extra month.
- The following are the minimal criteria for evidence of funds:
- Tuition + $10,000 for a 12-month term (or $833 per month) for a single student
- Additional $4,000 for a 12-month period (or $333 each month) for one accompanying close relative.
- For each additional family member: $3,000 for 12 months (or $255 per month) for every dependent kid of any age.
- Additionally, submitting a letter of explanation is a good option, as it will assist the visa officer in understanding your ambitions and obligations as a foreigner in Canada.
COST / FEES
The application fee is CA$150, and the process is far less rigorous than in the majority of other nations.
How to Apply for a Study Visa
The process of acquiring a Canadian study permit is divided into four stages:
1. Determine your eligibility:
- Ascertain if you satisfy the conditions for a Canadian study permit. You will require the following:
- A letter of approval from a DLI,
- Evidence of financial assistance
- Supplementary documents
2. Put together your application:
If you fulfill all qualifying conditions, you may begin preparing your application for a study permit. Ascertain that you have obtained all the needed documentation.
If you do not demonstrate that you satisfy the conditions, your application may be denied by an immigration official. It is a good idea to have your application reviewed by a knowledgeable immigration representative before submission.
3. Complete the application for a study permit:
4. upon approval of your study permit, travel to Canada! When you arrive at a Canadian port of entry (POE), your Canadian study permit will be granted.
If your permission is accepted, you will get a Port of Entry Introduction Letter from the Canadian government. When you arrive in Canada, you must present this letter to an immigration official to get your study permit.
ONLINE / PAPER APPLICATION
Your application can be submitted in two ways:
- Submit a digital application: Create a profile on the website of Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). You may submit your application electronically by submitting scanned or electronic copies of supporting documentation.
- Submit an application on paper: Collect and submit physical copies of your papers to the Visa Application Centre (VAC) allocated to your country.
Canada Study Visa Application Office in Mauritania
Address: Centre Commercial Abass, Avenue Charles du Gaulle, îlot “O”, Number 34, 1st floor, Office 2, Nouakchott, Mauritania.
Email: [email protected]
Frequently Asked Questions
Is it possible for a Mauritanian student to study in Canada?
The Canadian government offers all Mauritanian students the chance to study in the nation, but you must first get a Study Permit.
Is it safe for Mauritanian students to study in Canada?
Canada is one of the safest and stable’ nations for Mauritanian students and has strengthened its status as the ‘go-to place to study as a result of its response to the COVID-19 outbreak.
Which degree is equal to a Canadian degree in Mauritania?
The Diplome (four years or more); the Maitrise; the Certificate of Proficiency in Secondary Education (CAPES)
Is there an age restriction on studying in Canada?
To study in Canada, you must be at least 18 years old; however, there is no upper age restriction; minors require a study permit. You must be an international adult between the ages of 18 and 35.
How long does it take for a student visa to be processed in Canada?
After submitting your application for a Canadian study visa, processing time may take up to 90 days but is typically much less.
Canada presents itself as an excellent study destination for Mauritanian students, from the abundance of scholarship opportunities at several colleges to the cheap cost of living and reasonable tuition. If you are considering applying to study in Canada, carefully read the subsequent steps and comply with each one.