Study in Canada from Mauritius – Complete Guide
As an English and French-speaking nation, people aged between 18 to 35 years old arrive to resume study in Canada from Mauritius.
Generally speaking, there are approximately 16,000 Mauritians currently in Canada for specific reasons.
Of course, the most common reasons for Mauritians coming to Canada are to study and seek employment.
Besides, the majority of these Mauritians choose to reside in the Canadian province of Quebec due to its official language of French.
Aside from the language aspect, Canada and Mauritius also share some other things in common.
With this in mind, you can focus on applying to study in Canada from Mauritius.
Hence, this article covers a wide range of information, which you will find out to be resourceful in applying for college/university admission, study loans, scholarships, and Canada’s study permit.
Why study in Canada from Mauritius?
Here are reasons to consider applying to study in Canada from Mauritius.
- Academic excellence with cheaper tuition fees
- Opportunity to study and work simultaneously without applying for a work permit
- Access to a myriad of international student services and support provided by Canadian institutions
- Availability of finance to international students. These include study loans, scholarships, etc.
- Possibilities to become a permanent resident through a variety of immigration programs open to graduates of Canadian institutions.
Popular Canadian provinces for Mauritian students
Indeed, Mauritian students have a higher population in certain provinces in Canada, which include;
- New Brunswick
- British Columbia
Types of programs Mauritian students can study in Canada
Of course, Mauritian students are allowed to apply for their choice of the academic program in Canada. These programs include;
Academic programs Certificate required to apply Years of study required Certificate issued to graduates
- Undergraduate programs Mauritius Higher School Certificate (HSC) 3 to 4 Bachelor degree certificate
- Diploma programs for undergraduates ” 1 to 2 Diploma certificate
- Graduate diploma Bachelor degree certificate ” GDip degree certificate
- Master ” 2 Master degree certificate
- MBA – Master of Business Administration ” At least 2 MBA degree certificate
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D./DPhil) Master degree certificate Not less than 3 Doctoral degree certificates
Cost of studying in Canada from Mauritius
Indeed, you must pay a deposit or complete your tuition fee payment before leaving for Canada.
As a Mauritian student, you need to take note of the average tuition fee for international students in Canada.
If you are applying for an undergraduate program from Mauritius, you need to consider keeping an amount ranging from CAD 10,000 to CAD 21,000 to cover your tuition every year.
Regarding graduate programs of study in Canada from Mauritius, you may need to set apart at least CAD 9,000 to a maximum of CAD 34,000, which depends on the program.
Minimum personal support amount in Canada
Of course, another fee that should be included in your budget is CAD 10,000, which is useable as living expenses after reaching Canada to study from Mauritius.
Who can sponsor Mauritian students to Canada
- A family member or relative
- Common-law partner
- Employer, among others
Study loan for Mauritian students in Canada
Undoubtedly, Mauritian students in Canada are able to secure study loans like ScotiaLine® Personal Line of Credit for Students, MPOWER Financing, and Royal Credit Line for Students.
With these study loans, you can lend up to CAD 100,000, depending on the loan offers.
Besides, these loans are ideal for international students who come to study from Mauritius. This is because they have fewer requirements than other types of loans.
Other costs to consider
- Flight cost: CAD 800
- Student fees: CAD 250
- Health insurance: CAD 600
- Textbooks: CAD 250
Scholarship for Mauritian students in Canada
Undoubtedly, you can get a scholarship in Canada since you meet its requirements and apply before its due date.
Information on this segment will assist you in knowing about scholarships for Mauritian students in Canada.
General eligibility for scholarships
Of course, there are various types of scholarships in Canada. The most popular scholarship for new students who have just arrived to study in Canada from Mauritius is known as the entrance scholarship.
Besides, entrance scholarships generally require Mauritian students to attain a minimum admissions average of 70%.
Additionally, the essential eligibility criterion for most scholarships in Canada involves having active participation in extracurricular activities. Therefore, you may also need to volunteer somewhere in Canada.
Organizations that provide scholarships to Mauritian students
Indeed, these organizations offer scholarships to Mauritian students enrolled in an academic program in Canada.
- Rotary Foundation
- United Nations Educational Scientific and Cultural Organization – UNESCO
How to apply for a scholarship to study in Canada from Mauritius
Without a doubt, you can apply for most scholarships in Canada via the following steps.
- Check the institution or scholarship sponsor’s website in order to know how to apply, eligibility, requirements, and other helpful information.
- Apply for a scholarship and meet all criterion
- Wait to get a response.
Fully funded versus partially funded scholarships in Canada
Generally speaking, fully funded scholarships avail financial resources for all costs involved in becoming a student in Canada, while partially funded scholarships only pay about 50% of the cost.
How to apply for admission in Canada from Mauritius
Of course, you need to send an admission application to a Canadian college or university before you can commence your study in Canada.
Minimum academic requirements
You must meet the following academic requirements to become eligible for admission in Canada.
- First of all, you must have completed secondary school and should possess your Mauritius Higher School Certificate. You are also required to have an admission average of not below 70%.
- In addition, you must have completed an undergraduate degree program from a Maritain university if you want to apply for a graduate program in Canada.
English/French language requirements
Indeed, you also need to fulfill English or French language requirements before you can qualify for admission.
With this in mind, you are required to partake in any of the following English and French language proficiency tests.
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
- Pearson Test of English (PTE)
- Test de Connaissance du Français Canada (TCF)
- Test d’Evaluation de Français Canada (TEF)
- Duolingo English Test
- Canadian Academic English Language (CAEL) test
- Statement of purpose/Letter of intent: You need to compose a short essay that explains why you want to study in Canada, your roles as a student, etc.
- Reference letter(s): You need either a letter of recommendation or a reference letter from persons like your teacher, coach, etc.
Steps to apply for admission from Mauritius
Undoubtedly, through our streamlined steps, you can apply for admission to study in Canada from Mauritius.
- Firstly, log on to the Canadian college or university’s website for information on general and program-specific requirements, available programs, tuition, scholarships, etc.
- Secondly, send an application online, together with all supporting documents. Also, pay the application fee at the same time.
- Thirdly, wait for a decision. (You will receive a letter of acceptance if your application is successful).
- Fourthly, apply for a study permit if an acceptance letter is already possessed.
- Above all, set forth for Canada immediately after your study permit gets approval.
Self-application versus the use of consultants/representatives
Of course, you can apply for Canada’s study permit on your own or by seeking the services of a representative. Such a representative includes an educational consultant.
Besides, educational consultants offer professional services and can help you through various processes.
For this purpose, you need to fill out and add the representative’s name in the use of a representation form.
Applying for a Canada study visa from Mauritius
Undeniably, getting a Canadian study permit takes only several simple steps.
Study permit Canada requirements
Below are the requirements to be satisfied before obtaining Canada’s study permit.
- To begin with, you must be at least 18 years old and not more than 35 years old.
- Secondly, you must have gotten an acceptance letter from a Designated Learning Institution.
- Thirdly, you are required to tender proof of funds such as your tuition fee receipt, Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC), the recent statement of account, bank draft, student loan documents, etc.
However, these documents help to prove the sufficiency of finance/funds to study in Canada.
- Fourthly, you need a police certificate to demonstrate your past criminal records.
- Sixthly, you are required to undergo Immigration Medical Examination and provide its report to IRCC.
- Ultimately, the visa officer needs to see your willingness to depart Canada after your study visa expires.
Hence, you can book a round-trip flight ticket to ensure your intention to the visa officer.
Study permit Canada fees
Before your study permit can be processed, you need to pay CAD 150 while applying.
Study permit Canada document checklist
Check if you have already obtained the following documents before applying for a study permit.
- Valid Mauritian passport with two (2) passport photographs
- Letter of Acceptance (LOA) from a Designated Learning Institution in Canada
- Result of a valid English/French language proficiency test. For example, IELTS, TOEFL, CAEL, PTE, etc.
- Proof of fund document(s). Example, GIC certificate, bank statement, Canadian bank draft, scholarship documents, etc.)
- Recommendation letter (s)
- Letter of Intent/Statement of Purpose/Letter of Explanation
- Round-trip flight ticket to Canada from Mauritius
- Report of Immigration Medical Examination
- Police clearance certificate
- Curriculum vitae or résumé
- CAQ – Certificate of Acceptance of Quebec (if applicable)
Study permit Canada processing time
When applying for Canada’s study permit from Mauritius, you need to wait for about 14 weeks to allow processing.
Canada’s study permit paper vs. online application
Indeed, it is ideal that you apply for your study permit online since Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) encourages applicants to send their applications via the internet.
However, you can only make use of the paper application if you are having some problems while applying online. This requires you to visit Canada’s visa office in Mauritius.
Study visa application offices in Mauritius
The Visa Application Centre (VAC) in Port Louis, Mauritius, truly offers wide-ranging services that help to get a visa to study in Canada.
Below is the contact information for VFS Global Visa Application Centre in Port Louis, Mauritius.
- Canada’s Visa Application Centre International Organization for Migration (IOM):
Address: Port Louis St James Court, St Denis Street,
Port Louis, Mauritius
- VAC opening days & hours: Mondays to Fridays from 08:30 am to 4:45 pm.
See Also: Canada Study Permit Application Refusals- What To Do Next!
FAQs about study in Canada from Mauritius
What is the best time to apply for study in Canada from Mauritius?
January or May
Is Canada the best country for Mauritius students?
Studying in Canada is one of the greatest wishes of students worldwide. This is because of the availability of quality education, a dynamic and lively campus, a friendly community, superb learning facilities & infrastructures, student services, etc.
In conclusion, if you want to study in Canada from Mauritius, the process is not as complicated as it may seem. Just be sure to research and have all the necessary paperwork in order. Then, with some planning, you can be on your way to studying in one of the world’s top countries.