Academic excellence and affordability are for students who wish to study in Canada from Nepal. Canada hosts more than 250,000 international students and has experienced a huge increase in demand from oversea students in recent years.
Many alumni associations are established to organize mentorship programs. This makes the students interactive and socialize easily, even if they come from a foreign country to study in Canada
More so, international students in Canada enjoys the opportunity to work and study in Canada.
Although, there are Posts secondary institutions in Nepal that includes (Tri-Chandra University, Tribhuvan University, Kathmandu University etc) but they can’t be compared to institutions in Canada in terms of affordability.
Also, most universities in Canada have direct links with big organizations in the country. These organizations provides opportunities of handling their projects to the students studying related course.
This article provides you with details of how Nepalese student can study in Canada from Nepal, as well as other valuable information about study permits and scholarship opportunities for overseas students.
In this article
- Why Study in Canada from Nepal?
- Benefits of Studying in Canada from Nepal
- Popular Canadian province for Nepalese students
- Types of Programs Nepalese Students Can Study in Canada
- Average Tuition fee for International Students
- Other cost to think about to Study in Canada from Nepal
- Minimum Academic Requirements to Study in Canada from Nepal
- Steps to Apply for Admission from Nepal
- English/French Language Requirements
- How To apply for Scholarship to Study in Canada from Nepal
- Full vs. partially funded scholarships
- Criteria for Study Permit in Canada for a Nepalese
- Study permit Canada fees
- Study permit Canada processing time
- Paper vs. Online Application
- Online Application
- Paper application
- Study Permit Canada Extension
- Study visa application offices in Nepal
- How to check study permit application status
Why Study in Canada from Nepal?
Across Canada are examples of innovation, excellence, of all which other post -secondary institution ranked Canada as one of the leading study abroad destinations in the world.
Furthermore, Canada is the world most educated country as half of its residents have college degree.
More than 200,000 international students including Nepalese students come for study in Canada.
The country is also cherished for creating a welcoming environment as well as promoting multicultural diversity.
According to 2016 census, the total number of Nepalese students studying in Canada was 9,305 across different province.
Benefits of Studying in Canada from Nepal
- Canadian government provides students with quality education in a peaceful and safe environment.
- The Student Partners Programs (SPP) grants international students with study work permit, which implies that students can apply for a Permanent Residency in Canada after 2 years of study in a post- secondary institution.
- Tuition fees in Canadian universities are affordable compared to other countries.
- As an international student, you get access to a simple and stress free application
Following due process.
Popular Canadian province for Nepalese students
The following are the most popular Canadian provinces for Nepalese students.
- British Columbia
- Quebec and
Alberta boasts many outdoor activities that take advantage of the numerous watersheds, which includes swimming, water skiing, fishing and a full range of other water sports.
Additionally, it is the second westernmost of the 10 provinces in Canada. Examples of universities in Alberta includes Mount Royal University, University of Alberta, Burman University and so on.
British Columbia BC
The province of British Columbia is located in Western Canada.Examples of Universities in BC includes University of British Columbia, University of Victoria, Vancouver Island University among others.
The Canadian province of Ontario is a thriving, populous and commercial province located in central Canada. Examples of universities in Ontario includes University of Western, York University and so on.
The province of Quebec is a predominantly French- speaking province in eastern Canada. Examples of universities in Quebec includes Université de Montréal, Concordia University, McGill University among others.
Manitoba is a Canadian province borders by Ontario to the east. It is a thriving province with beautiful landscape and friendly people.
Types of Programs Nepalese Students Can Study in Canada
- Undergraduate Programs
- Master of Business Administration (MBA)
Average Tuition fee for International Students
As we all know that tuition fee are affordable when it comes to studying in Canada.
It is also important to know that the tuition fee at the university can vary depending on the location and program you choose to study.
- The average tuition fees for undergraduate programs ranges from $12,000 – $25,000 per year.
- Postgraduate programs ranges from $14,000 – $ 35,000 per year.
- PhD tuition fees starts from $ 7,000 – $ 10,000 per year.
- The average tuition fees for an MBA program are around $35,000.
Other cost to think about to Study in Canada from Nepal
You need to make provision for other payment apart from your tuition. Examples of these payments includes health insurance, telephone, flight fee, housing, books and more.
Below are the estimated costs for international students who wish to study in Canada from Nepal.
Telephone: $20 – $35
Health insurance $600 – $900
Personal expenses: $300 – $500
Books: $250 -$350
Minimum Academic Requirements to Study in Canada from Nepal
However, there is no Canadian post-secondary institution without admission requirements.
With this in mind, you must have graduated from high school if you want to apply for an undergraduate program in Canada.
Furthermore, graduate studies applicants need to have previously completed an undergraduate program from an accredited institution.
However, you need to attain a minimum admission average of 70% to apply for admission in Canada from Nepal.
Steps to Apply for Admission from Nepal
- To begin with, you need to check the institution’s list of programs in order to confirm your course availability.
- Second, it is essential to check if you can afford the institution’s tuition and other fees, as well as if you have met its admission requirements.
- Third, apply for admission into the college or university and submit all supporting documents as requested by the institution.
- Fourth, wait for the college or university to process your application.
- Fifth, if you receive a Letter of Acceptance from the institution, this means that you have been accepted for study into your preferred academic program.
- Lastly, you need to submit your study permit when applying for visa. If your study permit application gets approval, you can leave your country to study in Canada.
English/French Language Requirements
Canadian institutions accept these test results from Nepalese students.
Besides, the language requirement of each Canadian post-secondary institution is different from the other.
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
- Pearson Test of English (PTE)
Other requirements includes
- Letter of intent or statement of purpose: This is a succinct essay usually required to be included in your admission application.
For the most part, they feature a word count of 500 or should not exceed one page.
- Reference letters: The educational institution may request you to provide letter of reference (s) from an academician, clergy, among others.
How To apply for Scholarship to Study in Canada from Nepal
If you wish to apply for a scholarship, the first thing that should come to your mind is the need to visit the college or university’s official website for directives on available application guidelines.
Colleges and post-secondary institutions in Canada provide a wide range of scholarship for Nepalese students who aspire to study in Canada
Additionally, there are programs and funding options for students particularly international students who possess high academic record or qualified students whom scholarships and other financial assistance is provided.
Most importantly, the scholarship available and type of award varies between institutions. You need to know that getting a scholarship is highly competitive so you must apply in time.
Full vs. partially funded scholarships
Fully funded scholarships covers 100% of your tuition fee until you graduate from school while Partial-funded scholarships only covers part of your tuition fee.
Criteria for Study Permit in Canada for a Nepalese
The following documents are required in order to apply for Canada Student Visa from Nepal
- Completed student permit application form
- Letter of acceptance from any of IRCC’s Designated Learning Institution (DLI).
- Valid passport.
- As an international student, Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) will ask you to proof that you be able to finance your studies in Canada on your own.
- You may be required to undergo a medical examination with a doctor approved by the Canadian government. You can find a list of approved centers by visiting http://www.cic.gc.ca/pp-md/pp-list.aspx.
- A police certificate in order to prove that you are involved in any crime and not an ex-convict.
- Above all, it is necessary for you to prove to the visa/immigration officer that you will not stay in Canada after the expiry of your study permit
- Two recent passport-size photographs, with your name and date of birth at the back.
- A letter of intent or Statement of Purpose stating the reasons for choosing Canada over your home country and other countries.
Study permit Canada fees
All students who are planning to study in Canada from Nepal must pay for their Canadian study permit application.
Therefore, you need to pay as sum of CAN $150 in order to apply and process your study permit.
Study permit Canada processing time
Applying for a student visa from Nepal is easy compared to other counties because Canada offers a welcoming environment for students who wants to come for study.
Above all, you need to wait for about 4-6 weeks before you can get your study permit to study in Canada from Nepal.
By then, your Canadian study permit application will have gone through complete processing.
Paper vs. Online Application
If you want to apply online, you must have scanned copies of your documents. Make ensure that your documents and credentials are in PDF formats and have a valid credit card for payment.
Additionally, you need to visit the VFS offices to hand in your passports and would have to provide the confirmation of form and fee payment as well.
You need to first download the application kit and read the instruction guide if are applying offline. This contains important information about study permits and instructions to guide you when applying.
You are also required to submit the following documents when applying offline.
- Submit your letter of acceptance given to you from your college/university.
- Submit proof of financial resources required to support your studies. The fund should be enough to support your tuition fees and living expenses in Canada
- A police report stating that you have no criminal record to date.
- Submit your medical report that states you are in good health and fit to travel for study in Canada from Nepal.
Study Permit Canada Extension
On the top right corner of your permit, the expiry date of your permit is stated. If your passport expires before the completion of study, the extra 90 days gives you time to extend your permit.
Study visa application offices in Nepal
Canada has established Visa Application Centers (VACs) in different countries of the world, including Nepal.
Besides, there is only one VAC in Nepal, which is located in Kathmandu
VFS Global Nepal
- Address: No.26, Kathmandu, Nepal
- Phone number: +977 982-4903639
- Website: visa.vfsglobal.com
Additionally, you can visit the Visa Application Centre in Nepal for visa application and passport collection between 9am to 5:00pm on Mondays to Fridays.
How to check study permit application status
There are two (2) different ways of checking your Canadian study permit application status online.
- On one hand, you can access your application status using you username and password.
- On the other hand, you can also view your application status by signing in via your online Canadian banking information.