Dutch citizens can now want to study in Canada from Netherland, this is because like every international student they are very eligible to do so, another reason is that the Canadian government has taken every step necessary to make studying in Canada as easy as possible for international students.
Dutch students are therefore, provided with great opportunities that not only grant them access to world class education that can impact positively on their careers, but also offer them the chance to live their best life in one of the best countries in the world.
In this article
- Why Should you Study in Canada from Netherland?
- What Benefits are there to Study in Canada from Netherland?
- What is Canadian Study Permit?
- Requirements for a Study Permit in Canada for a Dutch Citizen
- Is a visa required to Study in Canada for less than 6 months?
- Do I need a Sponsor for my Education in Canada?
- Is Canada ready for you?
- Proof of financial Sufficiency for Student Visa Application for Dutch Students
- Age Limit Requirement for Student Visa for Netherland
- Do Dutch Students require an Interview for a Canadian Student Visa Application?
- Medical Examination Requirements for Dutch Students Applying for Student Permit
- Work and Study in Canada as a Dutch Student
- IELTS Requirements for Study Permit for Dutch Applicants
- Difference Between a Canada Study Permit and Students Visa
- How much does the Canadian Student Permit Cost for Netherland?
- Do I need to Provide My Biometrics for a Canada Student Visa?
- For how long will My Biometric Data be Valid?
- Can a Dutch Student extend the Canadian Study Permit?
- When should I extend my study permit / student visa?
Why Should you Study in Canada from Netherland?
You certainly are heading in the right direction when you choose to study in Canada from Netherland, as this will be a life changing opportunity.
When you take advantage of the generosity offered by the Canadian government through its various Immigration programs, in addition to the fact that you can become a permanent resident of Canada after graduation, you set yourself up for a great deal you might never find anywhere else.
Therefore, you can very well become a permanent resident or even Canadian citizen just by studying in one of the prestigious DLI’s. in Canada.
As a Dutch citizen who desire to study in Canada, the opportunity you get to work while you study will go a very long way to benefit you with the very important international work experience, which also is very useful to molding your career, that’s in addition to providing you with financial resources to support yourself.
Furthermore, when you study in Canada from Netherland, you get extra points credited to your Canada Experience Class program profile, which could lead you to become a permanent resident in Canada after graduation.
What Benefits are there to Study in Canada from Netherland?
- You get access to some of the finest academic institutions in the world.
- There is the chance of working as a Dutch citizen in Canada
- A simplified application process which is both clear and hitch free.
- An immigration pathway with long term visa option that can guarantee you permanent residency in Canada.
There are not very many countries in the world which offers the kind of generous visa packages Canada offer to its international students. Therefore, these benefits should encourage you to choose to study in Canada from Netherland.
What is Canadian Study Permit?
This document grant international student’s access to study at designated learning institutions (DLI’s) in Canada.
Consequently, Dutch citizens need a study permit to study in Canada; therefore, you must apply before you travel to Canada.
Requirements for a Study Permit in Canada for a Dutch Citizen
Required documents to apply for Canada Student Visa for Dutch Citizens include the following:
- Valid Dutch Passport.
- Proof of Acceptance into a Designated Learning Institution in Canada.
- Proof of Funds in Netherland
- Recent Passport Size Photographs
- Immigration Medical Examination (IME) certificate
- Proof of English Language Proficiency test Score.
- Statement of intent to travel (i.e. to study)
- A valid Credit Card
Is a visa required to Study in Canada for less than 6 months?
No, as a Dutch citizen you do not need a study permit when your course program in Canada is below 6 months. However, you are not allowed to stay in Canada beyond your course duration.
Furthermore, if your course of study in Canada from Netherland is more than 6 months, you must obtain a study permit, this you must apply for before you leave for Canada.
Do I need a Sponsor for my Education in Canada?
Dutch citizens, who desire to study in Canada, do not need anyone to be a sponsor for their studies in Canada. However, to get a Study Permit;
- You must enroll at a designated learning institution (DLI) in Canada,
- Must provide proof of sufficient funds for your tuition, other fees, as well as for living expenses, for you and any family member who might come with you to Canada.
Canada offers its best to encourage and to make sure there’s an enabling environment for international students and to also warmly welcome them from every part of the world including from Netherland to live and work in Canada as they undertake their studies, thereafter, in the long run assist them to transition to permanent residents of Canada without any need for a sponsor.
Is Canada ready for you?
Canada is ever ready for you; the country is willing and poised to receive international students to its world class educational system and institutions.
Thus, Canada gives everything necessary, including its very best to welcome new students from all over the world including Netherland, who would love to study, live and work in Canada and as far as on a permanent basis.
Proof of financial Sufficiency for Student Visa Application for Dutch Students
Student Visa criteria entails that you have a proof of funds to show that you can support yourself financially during the period of your study.
Currently, the financial requirement for new Dutch students is C$10,000 (~US$7,650) per year.
Likewise, if you intend to apply to study in Quebec the amount is C$11,000 (~US$8,400) per year. Note though, that this amount is in addition to your tuition fees.
For financial proof 1 or more of these documents must be provided
- A Canadian bank account in your name
- An education loan from a financial institution
- Your financial bank statements for the past four months
- Bank draft in convertible currency
- Proof of payment of tuition and accommodation fees
- Letter of financial support from individual or institution
- Evidence of funding from scholarship
Age Limit Requirement for Student Visa for Netherland
In other to obtain a student visa to Canada, you must meet the age limit. This is between the ages of 18 years and 35 years.
- Minimum age for Student Permit in Canada is 18 years
- Likewise, maximum age for Student Permit in Canada is 35 years
Therefore, the age requirement ranges from the date of your 18th birthday till the day before your 36th birthday. However, you can still study in Canada even if you are above the maximum 35years limit; nonetheless, you can only do so under a different immigration program,.
Do Dutch Students require an Interview for a Canadian Student Visa Application?
You do not require an interview if you want to study in Canada from Netherland. Study permits applications generally do not require interviews. Nevertheless, your visa officer can request one at his discretion.
If for any reason you require one, the visa officer in charge will contact you directly to make the arrangements.
Medical Examination Requirements for Dutch Students Applying for Student Permit
The medical examination component in the study permit application is compulsory for every international student who wants to study in Canada from Netherland.
Work and Study in Canada as a Dutch Student
Two category of visa is required to study in Canada from Netherland
Firstly, is the SW-1 Visa: granted to students with compulsory work, internship or co-op program in addition to their study program are offered this visa.
Secondly, is the S-1 Visa: this is offered to every category of students studying in standard academic programs that do not require work or internship as addition to their course of study.
This is the visa type given to most students who desire to study in Canada from Netherland.
IELTS Requirements for Study Permit for Dutch Applicants
IELTS is not a requirement to apply for study permit in Canada. However, for a Dutch national, who is not a native English speaker most academic institutions in Canadian will require that you provide proof of English language proficiency as requirement for your admission.
Difference Between a Canada Study Permit and Students Visa
A Student Visa is the official travel document that allows you to enter Canada as a Dutch citizen.
Meanwhile, a Study Permit is what allows you to stay and study in Canada.
How much does the Canadian Student Permit Cost for Netherland?
The cost of the Canadian study permit is C$150 per person
Do I need to Provide My Biometrics for a Canada Student Visa?
Yes. Every international student, including students from Netherland, must provide their fingerprints and a recent passport photograph, commonly referred to as “Biometrics” when applying for a Canadian visitor visa, work or study permit and permanent residence in Canada. These are required for identification purposes by immigration.
For how long will My Biometric Data be Valid?
Biometric data for Netherland is valid up to 15 months. Thus, Dutch applicants will have to attend several biometrics appointments as long as they are in need of visa extensions, visa upgrades or permanent residency for the duration of their stay in Canada.
Can a Dutch Student extend the Canadian Study Permit?
Yes, as a Dutch Citizen you can extend your student visa and study permit.
When should I extend my study permit / student visa?
You will certainly need to extend your study permit before it expires, if you do not desire to leave Canada.
This can be done by submitting your application for extension at minimum 30 days before your current study visa expires.
However, it is advised that you seek an extension 60 days before your current study permit expires, just in case more information is required for your extension. Moreover, it is usually better to have more time to deal with any information requests.