For many reasons, students arrive to study in Canada from Panama every year.
Hence, this results to a rise in the number of Panamanian students who are currently in Canada for undergraduate and graduate academic programs.
Moreover, foreign relations exist between Canada and Panama. They also possess memberships with the Organization of American States (OAS).
Thus, choosing Canada out of all other countries is a great decision, and is really rewarding.
However, this article holds information on several aspects with assurance to assist you throughout various application processes.
Such aspects include applying for admissions, scholarships, as well as available study loans and benefits for students who concluded to come to study in Canada from Panama.
Table of Contents
- Why Study in Canada from Panama?
- Popular Canadian provinces for Panamanian students
- Types of programs Panamanian students can study in Canada
- Cost of Studying in Canada from Panama
- Scholarship for Panamanian Students in Canada
- How to Apply for Admission in Canada from Panama
- Applying for Canada Study Visa from Panama
Why Study in Canada from Panama?
As a Panamanian student, here are justifications on why Canada should be taken into consideration when thinking of what country to study.
- To begin with, graduating from a Canadian post-secondary institution qualifies you for Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PWPP).
However, this program enables you to work in Canada for about three (3) years.
Besides, you can seek immigration through any of the available immigration pathways and programs (Express Entry, PNP, etc.)
- Secondly, the colleges and universities in Canada offer opportunities to acquire international work experience within the country.
- Thirdly, Canada’s educational institutions offer top-quality education to all students, including Panamanians. These institutions are also highly rated in the world university rankings.
- Fourthly, coming to study in Canada from Panama enhances your research and development skills through its research-intensive universities.
- Fifthly, the cost of enrolling in an academic program in Canada is relatively low in comparison with other foreign countries like the United States of America and United Kingdom.
- Above all, Panamanian students in Canada can apply for scholarships and study loans.
Popular Canadian provinces for Panamanian students
- British Columbia
Types of programs Panamanian students can study in Canada
Generally speaking, the types of programs run by the universities in Canada are likewise to Panamanian university education programs.
Although you will discover more advantages in Canada’s university programs that makes it possible for you to gain work experience, as well as to get involved in rigorous research.
Thus, below is an illustration of the types of programs available to Panamanian students in Canada.
|Programs||Requirement (academic requirement)||Program duration (years)||Certificate earned after study|
|Undergraduate programs||High school grade 12 certificate||3 to 4||Bachelor degree certificate|
|Diploma programs for undergraduates||”||1 to 2||Diploma certificate|
|Graduate diploma programs||Bachelor degree certificate||”||GDip degree certificate|
|Masters||”||2||Master in (discipline) degree certificate|
|Master of Business Administration (MBA)||”||Not less than 2||MBA degree certificate|
|Doctor of Philosophy (PhD/DPhil)||Master degree certificate||Minimum of 3||PhD degree certificate|
Cost of Studying in Canada from Panama
Undoubtedly, Panamanian students are subject to tuition fees, textbook fees, student fees, health insurance, among other expenses.
Average Tuition Fee for International Students
Of course, you must pay your tuition before you can begin studies in Canada as a Panamanian student.
For this reason, you need to budget between CAD $13,000 to CAD $22,000 if you are applying to study in Canada from Panama.
As regards to graduate programs, you need to set aside an amount ranging from CAD $9,000 to CAD $22,000 in order to enroll in masters, MBA, as well as PhD programs of study.
Furthermore, you are required to keep not less than CAD $10,000, which is the minimum personal support amount in Canada. This fund serves as your living expenses when you get to Canada.
Who can sponsor Panamanian students to Canada
Indeed, your parents, guardian, family member, relative, spouse, common-law partner, as well as your employer can provide money to support for your study in Canada from Panama.
Study loan for Panamanian students in Canada
Panamanian students are certainly among the nationalities eligible for some international student loans in Canada.
As a result, you can apply for popular study loans such as RBC Student Line for Credit, as well as MPOWER Financing. These student loans can fit the financial needs of Panamanian students who came to study in Canada from Panama.
Other costs to think about to study in Canada from Panama
Without doubts, extra fees are involved if you want to join other Panamanian students in Canada.
These fees include;
- Flight (from Panama to Canada): CAD $870
- Student services fee: CAD $400
- Housing: CAD $1,800
- Health insurance fee: CAD $500
- Books & supplies: CAD $280
Scholarship for Panamanian Students in Canada
Certainly, eligible Panamanian students are awarded scholarships of varying amounts due to their commitment, academic achievement, and other factors.
Thus, the following scholarships are open to students enrolled in a program of study in Canada from Panama.
- Conestoga College International Degree Entrance Scholarships: Partial funding opened to international students (including Panamanians) in Bachelors and Masters degree program.
- UCW Second Language Excellence Scholarship: Avails partial funding to Panamanian students in Bachelors, Masters, as well as MBA degree programs.
- University of Winnipeg -President’s Scholarship for World Leaders: Offers partial funding to international students (including Panamanians) enrolled in a Bachelor degree programs.
General eligibility for scholarships
Truly, many entrance scholarships do not require you to apply before you can get it.
On the other hand, other scholarships have a number of requirements that needs to be satisfied prior to sending any application.
Such requirements include;
- Least admissions/entrance average of 70%
- Commitment to student union, community development services, etc.
Organizations that offer scholarships to Panamanian students in Canada
Undeniably, Panamanian students are able to get scholarships in Canada from a number of organizations such as;
- British Council
- The Leakey Foundation
- The International Brain Research Organization (IBRO)
- The Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC)
How to apply for scholarship to study in Canada from Panama
Of course, there is no particular method of applying for scholarships to cut down cost to study in Canada from Panama.
However, most scholarships in Canada require the steps below for a successful application.
- Firstly, check official sources for information on eligible countries, as well as for the scholarship’s requirements.
- Secondly, apply for scholarship based on instructions
- Thirdly, promptly submit all required documents
- Above all, wait to receive response on your application
How to Apply for Admission in Canada from Panama
For the most part, incomplete applications for academic admissions to Canada are delayed and returned to applicants. Thus, you have to reapply for the admission, which takes more time.
Without doubts, information on this segment will guide you in apply for admission via the right way.
Minimum academic requirements
Indeed, you are required to have good academic standing in order to receive an acceptance letter from a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) in Canada.
For this purpose, it is compulsory for you to have completed high school grade 12 if you intend registering for undergraduate studies in Canada. You also need an admissions average not below 70%.
If you wish to enrol for a graduate program in Canada, it is essential for you to have initially completed a degree program of at least 3 years.
English/French language requirements
Fundamentally, language proficiency tests are helpful to IRCC and Canadian institutions in assessing foreign applicants’ English/French skills levels as regards to speaking, reading, writing and listening.
However, the following tests are recognized by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) and Canadian post-secondary institutions for applications.
English language tests for proficiency levels
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
- Duolingo English Test
- Michigan English Test
- Canadian Academic English Language (CAEL) test
- Pearson Test of English (PTE)
French language tests for proficiency levels
- Test d’Evaluation de Français Canada (TEF)
- Test de Connaissance du Français Canada (TCF)
Other requirements to apply to study in Canada from Panama
- Curriculum vitae or resume: You need to prepare a CV/resume in order to summarize your academic history.
- Academic recommendation or reference letter: You can get a letter of recommendation from your teacher or coach in Panama.
- Letter of Intent (LOI): Also known as Statement of Purpose (SOP), Letter of Intent is required to explain your reasons to study in Canada in 500 words/1 page.
Steps to apply for admission from Panama
Are you confused of how to apply for admission to study in Canada from Panama? Your worries will not be an issue anymore in few minutes
Below are the steps to follow in order to apply for admission from Panama.
- Firstly, get a computer with network connection. You also need a debit card to make online payments.
- Secondly, visit your choice college or university’s website in order to view available programs, tuition fee, academic, language and other requirements.
- Thirdly, send application along with supporting documents.
- Fourthly, pay application fee using the debit card.
- Fifthly, allow for processing. This may take up to eleven (11) weeks.
- Sixthly, apply for Canada’s study permit if your application got approval and you have received a Letter of Acceptance.
- Finally, come to
Self application vs. use of consultants/representatives
In spite that you can apply for admission to study in Canada from Panama on your own, you may also pay a representative to do the whole thing for you.
Hence, you can involve a representative such as an educational consultant by mentioning him/her or the consultancy company in the use of a representation form.
In addition, it is recommended to use a representative due to their experience and accreditation.
Applying for Canada Study Visa from Panama
Of course, all international students in Canada, including Panamanians applied for a student permit before they could come to Canada.
Study permit Canada requirements
You need to fulfill some conditions in order to be eligible to apply for Canada’s study permit.
- Your present age shouldn’t be less than 18 or greater than 35
- You must have recently received a Letter of Acceptance (LOA) from a Canadian college or university recognized by IRCC.
- Besides, a clearance certificate is required from the police.
- Moreover, one or more proof of fund(s) is required to show that you have the finance to cover for all expenses involved.
- Furthermore, a medical exam is necessary to prove your state of health.
- Additionally, you need to show a copy of your flight ticket (round-trip) to the visa officer in order to prove your willingness to leave Canada after your study permit expires.
As a matter of fact, you are expected to make an application fee payment of CAD $150 as study permit Canada fees.
Study permit Canada document checklist
Ensure that you already have the following documents before applying for a Canadian study permit.
- Panamanian passport (must be valid throughout the application process)
- Letter of Acceptance (LOA) from a Canadian Designated Learning Institution
- Academic letter of reference
- Letter of Intent (LOI)/Letter of Explanation (LOE)
- Exam results of a valid English or French language proficiency
- Immigration Medical Examination (IME) report
- Two passport-sized photos
- Clearance certificate from police
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) or résumé
- Flight ticket to Canada (round-trip)
- Proof of Funds (POF), which includes bank statements, GIC, etc
- Certificate of Acceptance of Quebec (If applicable)
Study permit Canada processing time
Indeed, study permit for students who are applying to study in Canada from Panama takes up to 6 weeks for processing.
Paper vs. online application
Without doubts, you should know that online application is the best and most convenient method of doing registrations online.
Regarding paper and online application of Canada’s study permit, IRCC prefers to receive applications online compared to paper.
Therefore, you can attempt paper application only if online application is nonfunctional for you.
Study visa application offices in Panama
Below is the address and contact information of the Visa Application Centre (VAC) in Panama city.
- VFS Global Panama City
Address: Coiner St., Building 223, 1st floor, suite P1-B,
Ciudad del Saber, Clayton, Ancon.,
Panama City, Republic of Panama
- Website: vfsglobal.com
Visa Application Centre in Panama City opening hours:
- Walk-in hours, business hours & passport collection: Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm.