Study in Canada from Philippines: Admission, Scholarships, Visa
Eligible students can study in Canada from the Philippines. Canada is one of the most recognized countries nationwide; this article will help you understand how to study in Canada from the Philippines.
The outstanding quality of education in Canada should be one of the reasons why you should enroll in one of the schools there. From elementary school to post-secondary studies, Canada has always been a prestigious country and even one of the best countries in the world.
As a Filipino that wants to study in Canada, there is nothing to be afraid of as this article will get acquainted with the tuition, scholarships, and many more perks of studying in Canada from the Philippines.
Why Study in Canada from the Philippines?
There are various reasons why students from the Philippines choose to study in Canada, one of which is that Canada is known for having a lot of affordable universities for international students. So regardless of what your budget might be, you can get enrolled in the school of your choice.
Also, Canada does not discriminate, and the country usually hosts more than 250,000 international students yearly. Canada’s cost of living and tuition is literally affordable, and the country is beautiful, with work and study environments that suit local and international students.
Another important reason Filipino students choose Canada is the possibility of immigrating to Canada after their studies. Check out Immigration pathways for Filipinos.
Studying in Canada vs. the Philippines: which is better?
As a Filipino student, we are sure you’re wondering whether you should study in Canada or the Philippines. But, first, you should know that Canada is one of the top-ranked countries in the world, and the country has become a prestigious place for higher education studies.
A lot of Canadian universities are present in reputed international rankings, and a recent educational strategy set by the Canadian Ministry of Education stresses increasing the number of foreign students. The schools in Canada are also affordable, with various scholarship programs for international students.
However, the Philippines is a fantastic country with an excellent education system. Therefore, there are many reasons why most foreign students study in the Philippines. But the Philippine educational system is not as convenient as that of Canada. And statistically, international students still prefer to study in Canada.
Prospects for Students from the Philippines after study
Wondering what would happen after school is one of every student’s concerns, but in Canada, students are allowed to work after graduation as long as they apply for a work visa; the country is a great destination for Filipino international students with a quality standard of living, and great career prospect.
Popular Canadian Provinces for Students from the Philippines
The most popular central student province and cities in Canada for Filipino students are Vancouver, Montreal, Toronto, Ontario, British Columbia, Quebec, and Saskatchewan, which between them are home to many of the top universities and this makes it a great place to have a Filipino community surrounding students.
Program choices available to Filipino Students
There are various programs offered for Filipino students who want to study in Canada, such as diploma degrees, master’s degrees, bachelor’s degrees, and many more. Some of the popular majors in Canada include:-
Business, Civil Engineering, Law, Computer Science and IT, Psychology, Public Health, Statisticians, Public Relations, Mining Engineering, IT, Nursing, Food, Medicine, Tourism, Counselling/Therapy, Pharmacy, International Relations, and a lot more.
The application deadline for winter enrollment is the first week of September, while Summer enrollments start on the second week of January for Master’sMaster’s students and a little earlier for Bachelor’sBachelor’s students.
How much to study in Canada from the Philippines?
As you already know, studying in Canada is affordable. However, to move to Canada from the Philippines, the first year of tuition, living expenses, and return transportation should be considered.
Undergraduate program usually cost up to $13,000 to $20,000, and Postgraduate master’s degree cost up to $17,000 to $25,000. Doctoral degree usually cost up to $7,000 to $15,000, while MBA cost up to $30,000 to $40,000.
Average tuition fee for Filipino Students in Canada
The average tuition fees for Filipino students in Canada vary as students are to pay all relevant Canadian program fees, including an international premium of $5,683.27 per term for full-time post-secondary non-semester diploma programs (NSDP).
Additionally, some students from the Philippines are to pay an International Health Insurance fee of $696, depending on their medical situations. While International students enrolled in Academic Upgrading are to pay for all essential program fees at an additional international premium of $200.00 per week.
Who can sponsor a student from the Philippines to Canada?
Before applying to a Canadian school from the Philippines, you need to consider your funding options, such as who will pay your tuition, fund your accommodation, provide money for flight booking, and other needs on arrival to Canada.
The following people can sponsor a student to study in Canada from the Philippines:
- An immediate parent or family member.
- Your employer, institution (university or colleges) in your home country.
- Religious group or community.
- Other relatives, if you can prove the relationship with legal documents.
- Some other third parties or the government of the Philippines.
- Scholarships or loans may also serve as evidence of funding.
Study Loans for Filipino Students in Canada
One of the best news for international students is that they can apply for a student loan without a cosigner immediately after they are registered into a Canadian school. However, students from certain countries are not eligible for study loans in Canada, so you may want to check with the lender to find out.
International students may be eligible for a loan to cover the cost of their education, which usually include tuition, housing, food, insurance, and educational supplies like books or flight.
Scholarships for Filipino students in Canada
There are over 50 scholarship programs for international students, including those from the Philippines, in almost every university, college, and high school in Canada. The following are popular scholarships in Canada for Filipino students:
- Hsiao Memorial Social Sciences Scholarship is funded and awarded by Asian Pacific Fund.
- Pinay Aspire Scholarship is a non-profit organization created to promote the aspirations of Filipino youth in education, the community, personal growth, and career development of the students.
- United World Colleges (UWC) International Youth Scholarships.
- Carleton University Awards for International Students.
- Canada Graduate Scholarships – Master’sMaster’s Program.
- University of Manitoba Graduate Fellowships.
- University of Calgary Graduate Awards.
- Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships.
- McGill University Scholarships and Student.
- Western University International Admission Scholarships.
Eligibility for Scholarship in Canada for Philippines Students
These are a few checklists for international students scholarships in Canada, although some might not be compulsory:
- International Students must have a proven record of contributing to his/her home country via research activities.
- Applicant must have an English Language Proficiency Test of IELTS 6.5 or equivalent.
- Applicants will be shortlisted based on their academics and statement of interest.
- Only International candidates are eligible for this type of scholarship.
- The personal statement of the students will be required.
- Official Transcript of students.
- Recommendation letter.
- Application form.
Organizations that offer scholarships to Filipino Students in Canada
There are many available scholarship programs for international students (including Filipino students) in Canada. In addition, multiple organizations are available to award merit and need-based scholarships to students from the Philippines, provided you meet eligibility and apply within the deadline.
A few requirements need to be in place before you apply, such as writing an essay discussing your Filipino heritage. Most of these scholarships are from universities, colleges, friends, relatives, and even the government, while some are from private donors.
How to apply for these scholarships?
In other to apply for scholarships, you have to be eligible for the program, and scholarship programs in Canada are usually offered by institutions, organizations, governments, friends, or relatives. Here are some of Canada’s full and partially funded-scholarships below:
Fully funded and partial scholarships
The majority of the best scholarships in Canada are fully funded programs, and they open doors for Filipino students. There are more than 150 scholarships awarded to international students yearly with a value in excess of 50,000 Canadian dollars.
Here are a few fully funded scholarships and partial scholarships:
- University of Waterloo International Master’sMaster’s and Doctoral Awards.
- Ontario Trillium Scholarship (OTS).
- Humber College International Student Scholarships.
- Kwantlen Polytechnic University International Entrance Financial Award.
- University Canada West Southeast Asia Regional Grant is available to all international students from the Philippines.
- Natural Resources Canada Postdoctoral Research Program.
How to apply for Admission to Canada from the Philippines
The following steps are to be completed in order to apply for admission into a Canadian higher institution from the Philippines:-
- Research schools and courses available to determine your choices.
- Start a fresh application for admission on the school’s website.
- Pay the admission application fee and submit all necessary documents, such as:
- Statement of purpose.
- English language test scores (IELTS, CELPIP, TOEFL).
- Transcripts from previous programs/schools in the Philippines.
- Identity documents, and so on.
- If admitted, receive a letter of acceptance from the university/institution of your choice as proof that you have been accepted. You can then apply for a Canadian student visa using the offer letter and other documents.
Minimum Academic Requirements for Filipino Students
It is important to consult the school for the requirements for students in your academic situation and status. However, the following are a few academic requirements you should have at the minimum:
- Choose a degree program that is in line with your career path/previous degrees (if any).
- Prepare your basic paperwork, such as a letter of motivation, a recommendation letter, and others.
- Check for the Specific Admission Requirements of the university of your choice.
- You also need to apply and wait to be successfully enrolled.
- And lastly, prepare your student visa.
It is advisable to use consultants/representatives when applying, but you can apply on your own and save some consultant fees. Here are what it is like to apply on your own and apply with the help of a consultant:
When you apply independently, you save yourself from being encouraged and fraudulent consultants and hear the feedback without delays. Of course, this also means you don’t have to pay any consultant but apply directly. But without being careful, you might also make a whole lot of mistakes, and the process can be quite slow and frustrating.
Making use of a consultant
A lot of students from the Philippines make use of representatives when applying to study in Canada. It is essential to use an authorized and trustworthy agency that won’t dupe you; using a consultant makes applying easier and faster.
Applying for a Canada study visa from the Philippines
Applying for a Canada study visa from the Philippines can be quite easy when you follow the right processes.
Study Visa Requirements from the Philippines
Whether you are applying for a Canada study permit through the normal process or through the Students Direct Stream, you must meet general eligibility criteria set up by Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada.
Fortunately, Filipino students have access to Students Direct Stream and the normal application process. The general requirements include the following:
- An acceptance letter from the institution of your choice.
- Proof of funds or evidence of paid tuition fees.
- Sometimes, proof of Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) of CAN$10,000.
- Certificate d’acceptation du Québec (CAQ) from the Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Francisation et de l’Intégration if you plan to study in Quebec.
- Evidence of medical examination (or you wait to be invited by IRCC).
- Police character certificate.
- All secondary or post-secondary school transcript(s).
- Check out our topic on general requirements for a study permit.
Additionally, a language test result will be required, which might be a Test d’évaluation de français (TEF) score that is equal to a Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) score of at least 7 in each skill (reading, writing, speaking, and listening) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) academic or general training score of 6.0 or higher in each skill (reading, writing, speaking and listening).
Canada studies visa fees.
A study Permit is a student visa required for international students expecting to be enrolled in a program in Canada, and the application fee is C$150 (5,900 pesos). International students are allowed to pay this online or at a location visa application center in the Philippines.
Study Visa Application Checklists
Here are a few documents you should have when applying for a Canada study permit:
- You need to have a Family Information Form fully completed, dated, and signed.
- Your Original passports and a copy of the passport bio-data page will be required.
- Your original birth certificate and Notarized Custodianship Declaration for Minors Studying in Canada.
- Letter of Acceptance from the Designated Learning Institution where you intend to study stating: unconditional admission, the course title, duration of the study, level of study, start date (multiple start dates, if applicable), and latest possible date of admission.
- Official fee schedule, which includes: tuition, accommodations, and meal plans; and miscellaneous expenses (medical insurance, books, memberships).
- A personal study plan: A description of your proposed program of studies as it relates to your academic, technical, or vocational background and future career goals.
- Proof of studies: You must provide evidence of all current and past education, including but not limited to: copies of all diplomas and certificates; evidence of ongoing enrollment (if applicable);post-secondary transcripts; other academic transcripts (up to date).
- Police Certificates are Required for applicants 18 years old or over.
- Background questionnaire, you will need to fill out the questionnaires.
Study Permit Canada Processing Time – Philippines.
It is advisable you apply for a study permit as soon as you have a letter of acceptance from a Canadian college or university. Most Student Direct Stream applications are processed within 20 to 25 days after your biometrics has been received, but in most cases, it usually takes up to 3 months, depending on your location.
Paper versus online application
The paper application process creates a more personal connection for the applicant, while online applications, also known as e-recruitment, give applicants an alternative to traditional paper applications. In addition, online applications are generally faster as there would be no delays in transporting documents from one VAC to another.
Study Visa Offices in the Philippines
Filipino students can obtain their student visa from the address below:
The Embassy of Canada in Manila,
Address: Levels 6-8, Tower 2, RCBC Plaza, 6819 Ayala Avenue, Makati City.
Checking your visa status online
You can check your study permit application status online via the IRCC visa status checker portal.
See Also: Study in Canada from Morocco – Full Guide
Frequently asked questions & brief answers.
How much does it cost to study in Canada from the Philippines?
The cost of study in Canada varies, depending on the institution, but the average cost is US$22,500per year.
What is the best time to apply for study in Canada from the Philippines?
You can apply for study in Canada before the deadline for application.
How to get a scholarship to study in Canada from the Philippines?
There are over 150 scholarship programs in Canada for international students; you only need to check your eligibility and apply.
How to study in Canada after graduation from the Philippines?
After your graduation, and you still want to further your education in Canada, you should read more on how to study in Canada from the Philippines for more information.
Do I need IELTS or TOEFL to study in Canada from the Philippines?
Yes, it would help if you took an IELTS or TOEFL in other to satisfy in Canada.
What is the population of Filipino students in Canada?
As of 2016, there is over 851,410 Filipino population, which means more are expected in 2021-2022.
Can Philippines students work in Canada while studying?
Yes, you can work while studying in Canada.
Is Canada the best country for Philippines students?
Canada is one of the top-ranked counties with an excellent educational system.
Filipino students are open to diverse opportunities in Canada, and I do hope you get the necessary information from this article on how to study in Canada from the Philippines.