To study in Canada from Portugal has never been more exciting and beneficial, for all international students from Portugal dreaming of immigrating to Canada to study, there has never been a better time than now to do so, this is as a result of the several effort put in by the Canadian government to do all that is necessary to make studying in Canada as easy and rewarding as possible for international students.
Students from Portugal are thus, offered the rare privilege of building their career in the epicenter of great institutions, taking advantage of opportunities that not only offer entrance to top-notch education, but also grant them access to become permanent residents of one the best countries in the world that boast a superb standard of living.
In this article
- Why Study in Canada from Portugal?
- Benefits to Studying in Canada from Portugal
- What is Canadian Study Permit?
- Criteria for Study Permit in Canada for a Portuguese
- Do I require a Study Permit to study in Canada for less than 6 months?
- Do I need a Sponsor for my Study in Canada?
- Canada welcomes you anytime
- Proof of financial Sufficiency for Student Visa Application for Portuguese
- Age Limit Requirement for Student Visa for Portugal
- Do Portuguese Students require an Interview for a Canadian Student Visa Application?
- Medical Examination Requirements for Portuguese Students Applying for Student Permit
- Work and Study in Canada as a Portuguese Student
- IELTS Requirements for Study Permit for Portuguese Applicants
- Difference between a Canada Study Permit and Students Visa
- How much does the Canadian Student Permit Cost for a Portuguese?
- Do I need to Provide My Biometrics for a Canada Student Visa?
- For how long is the Biometric Data Valid?
- Can a Portuguese Student extend the Canadian Study Permit?
- When should I extend my study permit / student visa?
- Can I get the Canadian Permanent Residency after 2 years of study in Canada?
- How much time will it take to get my visa from Portugal?
Why Study in Canada from Portugal?
Choosing to study in Canada from Portugal means you place premium value on your career and the possibilities it holds, therefore, it is safe to say that you are headed in the right path, as this is a life changing decision and move.
Meanwhile, taking advantage of the unmatched generosity offered by the Canadian government through its several Immigration programs shows you are wise.
Furthermore, you have the chance of becoming a permanent resident of Canada after your graduation. This is surely a good time to immigrate to Canada through a study program.
For a Portuguese who want to study in Canada, you have the added benefit of working while you study, This in addition to helping you acquire the very important international work experience, which should be useful in assisting you build your career, will also provide you with the needed financial resources to support yourself throughout your study.
Similarly, if you choose to study in Canada from Portugal, you earn extra points, which are credited to you in the Canada Experience Class program profile, which is meant to help you become a permanent resident in Canada after you graduate.
Benefits to Studying in Canada from Portugal
- Some of the best academic institutions in the world are within your reach.
- You get the opportunity of working as a Portuguese in Canada
- Access to a simple and stress free application process.
- Immigration pathways which offers you long term visa options that guarantee you permanent residency in Canada.
There are not very many countries in the world which offers the kind of generous visa packages offered by Canada to international students. Therefore, these benefits are put in place to inspire you to make the decision to study in Canada from Portugal.
What is Canadian Study Permit?
This is an official travel document that grants international students entry to study at designated learning institutions (DLI’s) in Canada.
Consequently, Portuguese need a study permit to study in Canada; therefore, it must be applied for before travelling to Canada.
Criteria for Study Permit in Canada for a Portuguese
These documents are required in order to apply for Canada Student Visa from Portugal:
- A Valid Portuguese Passport.
- Letter of Acceptance into a Designated Learning Institution in Canada.
- Evidence of Funds in Portugal
- Recent passport size photographs
- Immigration Medical Examination (IME) certificate
- English Language Proficiency test Score.
- Statement of intent to travel (i.e. to study)
- A valid Credit Card
Do I require a Study Permit to study in Canada for less than 6 months?
No, Portuguese do not need a study permit if the course of study in Canada is below 6 months in duration. However, you are not permitted to be in Canada beyond your course duration.
In addition, should your course of study in Canada from Portugal be more than 6 months, you must apply for a study permit, this you must be done before you leave for Canada.
Do I need a Sponsor for my Study in Canada?
Portuguese, that want to study in Canada, do not need a sponsor for their studies in Canada. Nevertheless, to obtain a Study Permit;
- You are to be enrolled at a designated learning institution (DLI) in Canada,
- Required to provide proof of sufficient funds for your tuition, other fees, as well as for living expenses, for you and any family member who accompanies you to Canada.
Canada gives its very best to encourage and to create an enabling environment for international students and to in addition welcome them from every part of the world including Portugal to live and work in Canada, while they undertake their studies. Thereafter, assist them to transition from students to permanent residents of Canada without a need for a sponsor.
Canada welcomes you anytime
Yes. Canada is always ready to receive you; the country is willing and poised to receive international students to its world class educational system and institutions whenever and for whatever.
Canada gives you everything necessary, including the very best immigration pathway for new and old students from all over the world including Portugal, who desire to study, live and work in Canada, even down to a permanent basis.
Proof of financial Sufficiency for Student Visa Application for Portuguese
Student Visa requirements demands that you provide proof of funds in other to show that you are able to support yourself financially during the period of your study.
Presently, the financial criterion for new Portuguese students is C$10,000 (~US$7,650) per year. Meanwhile, if you are applying to study in Quebec the amount is C$11,000 (~US$8,400) per year. Note though, that this amount is in addition to your tuition fees.
As proof of funding one or more of these documents must be provided
- Canadian bank account in your name
- Education loan from a financial institution
- Your bank statements for the past 4 months
- Bank draft in convertible currency
- Evidence of payment of tuition and accommodation fees
- Letter of funding assistance from individual or an institution
- Evidence of scholarship funding
Age Limit Requirement for Student Visa for Portugal
To obtain a student visa to Canada, you must meet the required age limit. This is between the ages of 18 years and 35 years.
- Minimum age for Student Permit in Canada is 18 years
- Maximum age for Student Permit in Canada is 35 years
Consequently, the age criterion ranges from the date of your 18th birthday till a day before your 36th birthday. Nonetheless, you can still study in Canada despite you are above the maximum 35years limit; however, this can only be done under a different immigration program,
Do Portuguese Students require an Interview for a Canadian Student Visa Application?
Of course not. You do not require an interview to study in Canada from Portugal. Study permits applications generally do not require interviews. However, your visa officer can request one at his discretion. Should it be necessary, the visa officer in charge will contact you directly to make the arrangements.
Medical Examination Requirements for Portuguese Students Applying for Student Permit
The medical examination requirement in the study permit application is very compulsory for every international student who wants to study in Canada from Portugal.
Work and Study in Canada as a Portuguese Student
There two categories of visas to study in Canada from Portugal
Firstly, is the SW-1 Visa: this is for students who have mandatory work, internship or co-op program added to their study program.
Secondly, is the S-1 Visa: this is for all categories of students who are studying in standard academic programs and do not require work or internship as addition to their course of study.
This visa type is for students who want to study in Canada from Portugal.
IELTS Requirements for Study Permit for Portuguese Applicants
You do not need IELTS to make application for study permit in Canada. Nevertheless, for a Portuguese citizen, who is not a native English speaker, higher study institutions in Canadian expect you to provide a proof of English language proficiency as requirement for admission.
Difference between a Canada Study Permit and Students Visa
A Student Visa is the official travel document that allows you to enter Canada as a Portuguese citizen.
On the other hand, a Study Permit is what allows you to stay and study in Canada.
How much does the Canadian Student Permit Cost for a Portuguese?
The cost of the Canadian study permit is C$150 per person
Do I need to Provide My Biometrics for a Canada Student Visa?
Yes is the answer. Every international student, including students from Portugal, must provide their fingerprints and a recent passport photograph, both commonly referred to as “Biometrics” when applying for a Canadian visitor visa, work or study permit and permanent residence in Canada. Immigration often require them for identification purposes.
For how long is the Biometric Data Valid?
Biometric data for Portugal remains valid for up to 15 months. Thus, Portuguese will have to attend several biometrics appointments as long as they are in need of visa extensions, visa upgrades or permanent residency for the duration of their stay in Canada.
Can a Portuguese Student extend the Canadian Study Permit?
Yes, as a citizen of Portugal you can extend your student visa and study permit.
When should I extend my study permit / student visa?
You must need to extend your study permit before it expires, if you do not desire to leave Canada. This you can do by submitting your application for extension at least 30 days before your current study visa expires.
However, you should apply for a 60 days extension before your current study permit expires, if maybe they require more information.
Moreover, it is often better to have more time to deal with any information requests.
Can I get the Canadian Permanent Residency after 2 years of study in Canada?
Yes, you can. The Canadian Experience Class Program can help you achieve this
The Canadian Experience Class visa for Portuguese citizens is about the most sought after Permanent Residency Immigration pathway in the world presently.
Therefore, Portuguese should join the program. However, the decision to work and study in Canada under the study permit is usually the starting point.
How much time will it take to get my visa from Portugal?
It is important that you allow some extra time for your visa application. Immediately after you accepted into the Designated Learning Institute of your choice, you can begin your application for the Canadian Study permit.
Therefore, you should apply for the study permit at least 4-6 months before the start of your university degree programme. After application, expect to wait for about 35 days for the decision.