Canada boasts one of the world’s greatest educational systems. It boasts a number of universities that are ranked among the best in the world. As a result, it is not surprising to find a Rwandan student wanting to enhance his education by studying in Canada.
This article offers much-needed help to Rwandan students who wish to study in Canada by giving them the information they require.
Therefore, if you fall in this category, this post is for you. If however, you do not fall in the category but you know someone who does, you might want to share this piece with them.
Let us start by taking a look at some of the reasons one might want to study in Canada from Rwanda.
In this article
- Why Study in Canada from Rwanda?
- #1. Access to the Best Universities in the World
- #2. Work Your Way to Permanent Residency
- #3. Access to a Variety of Programs
- #4. Safe Learning Environment
- #5. Feel Right at Home
- Types of Programs Rwandan Students can Study in Canada
- #1. Undergraduate/Post Graduate Diploma
- #2. Undergraduate/Bachelor’s Degree
- #3. Masters Degree
- #4. Master of Business Administration
- #5. PhD
- How to Apply for Admission in Canada from Rwanda
- Best 10 Popular Provinces in Canada for Rwandan Students
- Cost of Studying in Canada from Rwanda
- Scholarships for Rwandan Students in Canada
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Can a Rwandan Student Extend their Canada Student Visa Duration?
- How long is a Canada Student Visa Valid?
- Can I work Full Time as a Rwandan Student in Canada?
Why Study in Canada from Rwanda?
There’s a chance you’re still in your deciding phase. You could be asking yourself if you really want to undertake this journey; if it really is worth the trouble. The answer is contained in the section. What exactly do you stand to gain from studying in Canada from Rwanda?
#1. Access to the Best Universities in the World
The Canadian education system is undoubtedly one of the best in the world. Their universities and colleges have proven record of quality performance over the years. This sort of excellence is hence seen in their high ranks in the global university rankings.
#2. Work Your Way to Permanent Residency
Studying in Canada loosely translates to living in Canada; at least for the duration of your study visa. This means that while you study in this fine country, you already count down the years to be eligible for permanent residency. In addition, some of the schemes made available for people who wish to immigrate to Canada from other countries favor first, those who are already based in Canada. If you happen to apply for such a scheme while studying, you already have the edge over someone who applies from back home in Rwanda.
Furthermore, your student visa gives you access to a few jobs while you live and study in Canada. This implies that you can also gather work experience in Canada while you study, little as it may be.
#3. Access to a Variety of Programs
Studying in Canada gives you access to different fields of study, as we will see later in this article. As a Rwandan student studying in Canada, you get to choose from a list of courses that cover several works of life.
#4. Safe Learning Environment
Canada is considered one of the safest places in the world to live. Compared to countries like itself in terms of civilization, Canada has a relatively low crime rate. This means you don’t have to look over your shoulder at every street turn.
Everybody wants to live and study in a place where they feel safe. Therefore, this makes Canada an ideal destination for one to further their studies.
#5. Feel Right at Home
There are 2 major languages spoken in Canada; French and English. It just so happens that these are also two of the most popular languages spoken in Rwanda as well. This sort of advantage helps you as a Rwandan settle right in, regardless of which university you choose and their primary language requirements there.
Types of Programs Rwandan Students can Study in Canada
As earlier stated, studying in Canada from Rwanda opens you up to a wide range of programs you can study. Whether you just finished secondary education or are a recent graduate with your first degree, Canada has just the right program for you.
The programs you can study in Canada from Rwanda can be categorized into;
- UG/PG Diploma
- Undergraduate/Bachelor’s Degree
- Masters Degree
#1. Undergraduate/Post Graduate Diploma
A diploma is a certificate given to you as proof of completion of a particular course/subject. While they are valid certificates, diplomas don’t usually hold a lot of weight on their own. Rather, they are usually taken as a preamble to further studies.
Undergraduate (UG) diplomas prepare you for undergraduate studies while Post-graduate (PG) diplomas prepare you for further post-graduate studies. This program lasts a year or two.
#2. Undergraduate/Bachelor’s Degree
This is the first degree a person goes for after their secondary education. It is one of the more common degrees for international students in Canada.
The undergraduate degree lasts 3 to 5 years depending on the course of study and the institution. At the end of it, the successful student gains the title “Bachelor of ***”. The third part of that title depends on the program area.
#3. Masters Degree
Master’s degree comes directly after an undergraduate degree. It is also a high attractor of international student traffic. Those who complete all their Master’s Degree requirements are gain the title “Master of ***” like in Bachelor’s degrees. The program lasts about 2 years on average.
#4. Master of Business Administration
The MBA degree is for those who wish to gain academic mastery over different aspects of business. It covers a wide range of fields and opens up lots of opportunities for those who make it out of here. MBA, like regular Masters degree, takes an average of 2 years to study.
The PhD is the about as high as you can get with Academic programs. This one earns you the title “Doctor” and certifies your capability to contribute to research in a certain field. The PhD program lasts 3 years or thereabouts.
How to Apply for Admission in Canada from Rwanda
In order to study in Canada from Rwanda, what you need is a Student Visa; otherwise known as a study permit. In order to apply for a Student Visa, one must meet the following requirements;
- Have proof of acceptance (a Letter of Acceptance) into a college/university in Canada.
- Provide a copy of their criminal record as a police clearance certificate.
- Proof of Rwandan citizenship; most preferably your international passport
- Two passport-sized photographs
- Provide result evidence of proficiency in the English Language via exams like IELTS. This, however, depends on the school you applied to and whether or not they require it. You can find that information in the school’s portal.
- A cover letter showing what you wish to achieve while studying in Canada. This letter is more commonly known as a “Statement of Purpose”.
- Previous academic transcripts.
- Proof of Medical fitness by passing the Immigration Medical Examination (IME)
- They must provide proof that they can pay their tuition for at least the first year.
- Candidates must also provide proof that they have enough in their bank accounts to foot their living expenses (accommodation, feeding, etc.) for at least a year. The average cost of living for a year in Canada would require that you have about 10,000 CAD on top your tuition, but this could differ from one province to another.
- Finally, proof that the candidate has paid for their visa application must be provided. The Canada student visa costs CA$150.
You as a Rwandan can apply for your study permit at the Citizen and Immigration Canada (CIC) website. The processing time for a Canada Study Visa could take around 3 months, so it is advised you begin early.
Best 10 Popular Provinces in Canada for Rwandan Students
- British Columbia
Cost of Studying in Canada from Rwanda
Below is the list of the average cost required to study in Canada from Rwanda.
- Average Tuition for Undergraduate studies: The average tuition for an international undergraduate in Canada is 7,000 – 25,000 CAD. This price, however, could differ depending on the school and course of study.
- Average Tuition for Post-graduate studies: For post-graduate schooling in Canada, the average tuition for international students is 17,000 – 57,000 CAD.
- Average Cost of Accommodation: The average yearly cost of accommodation in Canada is 3,000 to 10,000 CAD. This could depend entirely on what province the said accommodation is located in and whether or not the student will be living on-campus or off-campus.
Scholarships for Rwandan Students in Canada
There are lots of scholarships for African students, as well as those who wish to study in Canada from Rwanda. As a Rwandan, you can take advantage of any of these opportunities.
While Canada is a cheaper and much easier international schooling option than many of its high-end counterparts, it is still expensive, to say the least; hence you would do better having the scholarship to take that financial burden off your back.
There are two main kinds of scholarships;
- Fully funded
- Partially funded
Fully funded scholarships, like the name implies, helps you as a Rwandan by paying off all your fees; tuition, accommodation, etc. In this case, the only thing a student has to spend in their own living expenses.
Partially funded scholarships, however, only cover a part of the students’ expenses and can still help students a great deal.
Some of such scholarship programs available for Rwandan students in Canada include;
- UCW Second Language Excellence Scholarship
- Simons African Fellowship Program
- International Undergraduate Entrance Scholarships At University Of Guelph
- Women In Finance Scholarship
- Annual Evergreen Awards, Calgary, Canada
- Toronto Catholic District School Board – Catherine Temple Mathematics Awards In Canada
- University of British Columbia Neporany Doctoral Fellowship in Canada, etc.
There are so many of these opportunities, we will not be able to list them all. However, you can visit We Make Scholars for more info.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some Frequently Asked Questions by Rwandan students wishing to Study in Canda;
Can a Rwandan Student Extend their Canada Student Visa Duration?
Yes. If your Canada study visa expires before the end of your program for any reason, you can apply for an extension while you are there.
How long is a Canada Student Visa Valid?
A Canada Study Visa is usually valid for however long your study program will last, plus an extra 90 days.
Can I work Full Time as a Rwandan Student in Canada?
No. As a Rwandan student in Canada, your study visa only allows you to work part time while in school. This is usually a maximum of 20 hours a week, to earn some extra buck. The only time you’re allowed to work full time is during the holidays when your school is on break.