Thousands of undergraduate and postgraduate students from Serbia travel to Canada every year to study.
They even depart from big Serbian cities like Belgrade, Niš, Novi Sad, Kragujevac, Čačak, Zrenjanin-Pančevo, Smederevo, Subotica, as well as Novi Pazar.
Even though the Republic of Serbia has several natural resources, mountains, and wildlife, you do not need to bother much about missing all these because Canada has more to offer.
Hence, exploring this article will let you understand how to secure admission to study in Canada from Serbia.
You will also learn about study loans, as well as how to apply for a Canadian study permit and scholarship.
Table of Contents
- Why Study in Canada from Serbia?
- Popular Canadian provinces for Serbian students
- Types of Programs Serbian Students can Study in Canada
- Cost of studying in Canada from Serbia
- Scholarship for Serbian Students in Canada
- How to apply for admission in Canada from Serbia
- Applying for a Canada Study Visa from Serbia
Why Study in Canada from Serbia?
Generally speaking, there are myriad benefits of studying in Canada. These include;
- Firstly, Canadian post-secondary institutions have a global reputation for their educational programs, instructors, and learning facilities. Thus, you will certainly find multiple Canadian institutions in the ranking of top colleges and universities around the globe.
- Secondly, Canadians are cordial and generous to international students without exempting natives of Serbia. They also do not mind having diverse cultures amongst them.
- Thirdly, tuition and lifestyle in Canada are affordable. Besides, you can opt for homestay as a low-cost accommodation. Regardless of your budget, you will definitely find an institution in Canada that aligns with your financial ability.
- Above all, you will get quality education and access to financial aids, study loans, as well as vast student support & services.
Popular Canadian provinces for Serbian students
Of course, Serbian students are common in the following Canadian provinces.
- British Columbia
- Nova Scotia
Types of Programs Serbian Students can Study in Canada
Undoubtedly, Serbian students are studying different types of programs in Canada such as;
- Undergraduate programs: Canadian universities offer a vast number of 3-year and 4-year undergraduate programs of study in different disciplines. These include art, accounting, business, chemistry, sociology, political science, computing science, kinesiology, theology, economics, geography, music, etc.
- Diploma programs: You can definitely enroll in an undergraduate diploma and graduate diploma program in Canada. Furthermore, these programs make it possible for you to earn credits to transfer to another institution.
- Masters: Most Serbian graduate students in Canada are undertaking a Master’s degree program or the other.
- Master in Business Administration (MBA): This program is for experts in business management. Hence, you will need to study in Canada for at least two years in order to earn an MBA degree certificate.
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.): These programs involve intensive research and dissertation. Additionally, Ph.D. degree programs require your dedication for not less than three years.
Cost of studying in Canada from Serbia
Indeed, the average tuition fee for international students from Serbia ranges on the educational institution and program.
Hence, you need to save between CAD $9,000 to CAD $20,000 if you are applying to start an undergraduate study in Canada from Serbia.
Moreover, the average tuition fee of graduate programs in Canada depends on if you are applying for Masters, MBA or PhD degree program.
However, these programs cost a range of CAD $7,000 to CAD $21,000, CAD $24,000 to CAD $32,000, as well as CAD $8,000 to CAD $15,000 respectively.
Minimum personal support amount in Canada
You certainly need to budget not less than CAD $10,000 (821,360 RSD), which serves as your allowance upon arrival to study in Canada from Serbia.
Who can sponsor Serbian students to Canada
Without doubts, your parents, family member, guardian, spouse, common-law partners or employers can sponsor your post-secondary education in Canada.
Study loan for Serbian students in Canada
Are you a native of Serbia? Mull over it no more as Serbia is also one of the 190+ qualified nations for MPOWER Financing study loan for international students in Canada and the US.
Undeniably, MPOWER Financing is one of the widely known student loans throughout the world.
Besides, it offers a loan amount of up to $100,000 Canadian Dollars at a fixed rate without needing credit history or cosigner.
Other costs to think about to study in Canada from Serbia
- Flight to Toronto, Canada from Belgrade, Serbia: CAD $900 (73,850 RSD)
- Student fees: CAD $600 (49,310 RSD)
- Accommodation – two students per room: CAD $1,500 (123,270 RSD)
- Meal plan: CAD $2,000 (164,360 RSD)
- Health insurance: CAD $250 (20,545 RSD)
- Books & supplies: CAD $650 (53,415 RSD)
Scholarship for Serbian Students in Canada
Serbian students can definitely earn scholarships offered by the Canadian government, organizations, colleges, and universities.
Notwithstanding, you need to qualify before you can be considered for any of these scholarships.
General eligibility for scholarships
Of course, scholarships are not awarded to Serbian students who do not meet the eligibility criteria or have any form of commitment to the community/institution.
As a new student in a Canadian college or university, you may get an entrance scholarship if you were able to earn an admission average, not below 70%.
Additionally, other scholarships for international students, including Serbians may require your active involvement in community development services, student union, etc.
Moreover, some scholarships require applicants to prove that they need the finance and have been able to source funds elsewhere.
Organizations that offer scholarships to Serbian students in Canada
- Rotary Foundation
- The Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety (CCOHS), etc
How to apply for a scholarship to study in Canada from Serbia
Generally speaking, there is no particular method of applying for scholarships to study in Canada from Serbia.
Although most scholarships require you to follow the steps below;
- Firstly, visit the scholarship’s website or the institution’s financial aids’ webpage for international students
- Secondly, check for available scholarships, eligibility conditions/requirements, as well as its application guidelines
- Thirdly, send an application prior to the stipulated period of time
- Finally, look forward to a decision/response from the scholarship’s awarding committee
Full vs. partially funded scholarships
Without doubts, the difference between fully funded and partially funded scholarships is apparent in their names.
Thus, fully funded scholarships are financial aids that cover all costs of your education.
Besides, there are various kinds of partially funded scholarships. Some of them cover your upkeep and not tuition while some fund a specific amount that is useable to pay part of your tuition fee.
How to apply for admission in Canada from Serbia
Without doubts, this segment makes provision of information that is resourceful in getting a letter of acceptance from a Canadian college or university.
Minimum academic requirements for undergraduate programs
- Admissions/entrance average not below 70%.
- Certificate of high school education with official transcript featuring no grade below C in each course.
Minimum academic requirements for graduate programs
- Must have completed a degree program at a college or university in Serbia.
English/French language requirements
During the process of applying to study in Canada from Serbia, you will need to put your English or French language skills to the test.
Language proficiency tests measure your reading, writing, listening, and speaking skills in either English or French language.
With this in mind, you can take any of the following recognized language proficiency exams.
English language proficiency tests
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
- Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program (CELPIP)
- Michigan English Test
- Cambridge Assessment English test
- Canadian Academic English Language (CAEL) exam
- Duolingo English Test
- Pearson Test of English
- Canadian Test of English for Scholars and Trainees (CanTEST)
French language proficiency tests
- Test de Connaissance du Français Canada (TCF)
- Test d’Evaluation de Français Canada (TEF)
- Curriculum vitae or resume
- Reference letter
- Letter of intent
Steps to apply for admission from Serbia
Act on the following steps to apply to study in Canada from Serbia.
- Make a choice from the wide-ranging programs available in Canada.
- Gather documents like a Serbian passport, the result of the language proficiency exam, medical exam report, clearance certificate, among others.
- Check program’s requirements, pay the application fee, apply online, upload and send documents, including an official transcript of study.
- Admission processing may take some months. So, you have to wait
- Obtain a study permit
- Come to Canada and begin studying.
Self-application vs. use of consultants/representatives
Undoubtedly, admissions for post-secondary studies in Canada can be started and completed by yourself without any form of restriction.
Besides, representatives such as educational consultants are hirable to take your stead during the application process.
Hence, you need to download and include the representative’s name in the use of a representation form.
Below are educational consultants that can represent you in applying to study in Canada from Serbia.
- YouGrad – pripreme i savetovanje za studije u inostranstvu
Address: Maksima Gorkog 35, Beograd 11000, Serbia
Phone number: +381 11 4058297
- IBA Consulting d.o.o.
Address: Takovska 12, Beograd 11000, Serbia
Phone number: +381 63 8823093
- Global Study – Studije u inostranstvu
Address: Beogradskog bataljona 4, Beograd 11000, Serbia
Phone number: +381 64 2423535
Website: www.globalstudy.rsStudy in Canada from Hungary
Applying for a Canada Study Visa from Serbia
Indeed, a valid study permit is necessary to study in Canada from Serbia.
Study permit Canada requirements
Of course, you need the following documents to apply for Canada’s study permit.
- Acceptance letter issued by a Canadian college or university recognized as a DLI
- Recent IME report regarding your present state of health
- Finance/funds proof that is sufficient for your post-secondary education, allowance, travel expense, etc.
- Police clearance certificate, which confirms that you would conform to Canada‘s law.
- Round-trip flight ticket from Serbia to Canada, which proves to the visa officer that you will leave Canada when your permit expires.
Study permit Canada fees
While applying for a visa to study in Canada from Serbia, you are required to pay a sum of $150 Canadian Dollars (12.320 RSD) at the same time.
Study permit Canada document checklist
- Valid Serbian passport
- Two (2) passport photos
- Acceptance letter
- Valid English or French language proficiency test result
- Police clearance certificate
- Report of Immigration Medical Examination (IME)
- Proof of Funds (POF) documents
- Letter of intent
- Round-trip flight ticket to Canada
- Certificate of Acceptance of Quebec (needed to study in Quebec)
Study permit Canada processing time
Indeed, your Canadian study permit will not be processed immediately after you submit it.
Thus, you have to be patient for about 14 weeks.
Paper vs. online application
Undoubtedly, all Serbian students who are applying for their Canadian study permit need to complete the application process online rather than attempting a paper application.
However, a paper application is for applicants who encounter challenges during the online application process.
Study visa application offices in Serbia
Below is the location of the visa application office in Serbia.
- TLScontact – Visa Application Centre Belgrade
Address: Serbia, Omladinskih Brigada 88a, Beograd, Serbia
How do I check study permit application status?
You can access your study permit application status by using your GCKey or Canadian banking details to sign in to IRCC online.
What is best time to apply for study in Canada from Serbia?
Of course, the ideal time to apply for admission to study in Canada is March to June.
Is Canada the best country for Serbian students?
Canada is certainly among the best countries for post-secondary education. This fact is determined on various measures, which include education quality, availability of student aids, friendly communities, among others.