Of course, students frequently come to study in Canada from Singapore, which is one of the reasons why we have Singaporean Canadians.
Moreover, 2016’s population census estimated that there were up to 2,850 Singaporean Canadians in Canada.
These consist of foreign skilled workers, immigrants and Singaporean students who deliberately left Singapore for greater opportunities and greener pastures.
Besides, Singaporean Canadians have a number of small communities in Canada, which are located in Toronto, Vancouver, as well as in Edmonton. These communities hold the largest population of Singaporeans in Canada.
Above all, this article avails a large collection of information that is facilitative while applying to study in Canada from Singapore.
These include on admission application steps, Canada’s study permit, as well as all other resources that we feel can be helpful to you.
Table of Contents
- Why study in Canada from Singapore?
- Popular Canadian provinces for Singaporean students
- Types of programs Singaporean students can study in Canada
- Cost of studying in Canada from Singapore
- Scholarship for Singaporean students in Canada
- How to apply for admission in Canada from Singapore
- Applying for Canada study visa from Singapore
- FAQs about study in Canada from Singapore
Why study in Canada from Singapore?
- Generally speaking, Canada accommodates Singaporean students, workers and other natives of Singapore who want to come to Canada for one reason or another.
- Secondly, among the benefits of studying in Canada is that numerous Canadian establishments employ Singaporeans citizens and students.
Thus, you will certainly find multiple companies and organizations in Canada that are willing to hire your services.
- Undoubtedly, you can get scholarships in Canada inasmuch as you are able to meet the conditions or requirements on time.
Popular Canadian provinces for Singaporean students
- Ontario province – Toronto
- Alberta province – Edmonton
- British Columbia province – Vancouver
Examples of colleges and universities in these areas include;
- Alexander College, Vancouver, BC, Canada
- Arbutus College, Vancouver, BC, Canada
- Capilano University, Vancouver, BC, Canada
- George Brown College, Toronto, ON, Canada
- Humber College, Toronto, ON, Canada
- Reeves College, Edmonton, AB, Canada
- University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada
- Vanguard College, Edmonton, AB, Canada
- Wycliffe College, Toronto, ON, Canada, among others
Types of programs Singaporean students can study in Canada
Obviously, the colleges and universities in Canada accept Singaporean students into various types of programs throughout diverse fields.
Hence, the table below demonstrates various things you need to know about the programs you can apply to study in Canada from Singapore.
|Type of program||Certificate required to apply||Certificate earned||Year of study|
(Bachelor and Associate degrees)
|High school diploma certificate||Associate degree certificate
Bachelor degree certificate
3 to 4 years
|High school certificate
First degree certificate (Bachelor)
GDip degree certificate
|1 to 2 years|
|Masters||Bachelor degree certificate (BA, B.Sc, B.B.A, etc)||Master degree certificate such as MA, M.Sc, Mphil, etc.||2 years|
|MBA||”||Master in Business Administration degree certificate||Minimum of 2 years|
|PhD||Masters degree certificate||Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) degree certificate||At least 3 years|
Cost of studying in Canada from Singapore
As the fee paid for instruction, it is of the greatest importance to pay tuition in order to be enrolled in a program of study in Canada from Singapore.
Therefore, the following are the average tuition fee for int’l students who are applying for study from Singapore.
- Undergraduate programs (Bachelor and Associate degrees): CAD $7,000 to CAD $18,000
- Masters: CAD $8,500 to CAD $19,000
- MBA: $22,000 to CAD $34,000
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD): CAD $10,000 to CAD $17,000
Minimum personal support amount in Canada
Another important thing to consider when applying is to include a sum of CAD $10,000 (10,885 SGD) in your budget for upkeeps.
Who can sponsor Singaporean students to Canada
- Parents (either or both)
- Family member or relative
- Common-law or conjugal partner
Study loan for Singaporean students in Canada
Indeed, Singaporean students qualify to apply for some international student loans in Canada. These loans are favorable to Singaporean students in various aspects.
However, you may need to meet certain conditions and requirements in order to obtain the study loan.
Below are study loans available to Singaporean students who are registered in a program of study in Canada.
- MPOWER Financing student loan
- RBC Student Line for Credit
Other costs to think about to study in Canada from Singapore
The following fees needs to taken into consideration before coming to study in Canada from Singapore.
- Flight fee (Singapore Airlines): Starting from 882 SGD.
- Health insurance coverage: CAD $300 (326.5 SGD).
- Institutional student fees: CAD $650 (707.5 SGD).
- Student housing on campus (2 per room): CAD $1,300 (1,415 SGD).
- Meal plan: CAD $1,500 (1,635 SGD).
- Textbooks, etc: CAD $500 (545 SGD).
Scholarship for Singaporean students in Canada
Generally speaking, there are several scholarships open to Singaporean students who are undergoing studies in undergraduate and graduate programs of study.
General eligibility for scholarships
Before you can apply for a scholarship in Canada, you need to fulfill all requirements and conditions on time.
However, most of these scholarships require Singaporean students to;
- attain a minimum entrance average of 70%
- have persistent participation in activities outside regular academic curriculum. These include student union, community development services, etc.
- show that they can’t continue their education without the scholarship
Organizations that offer scholarships to Singaporean students in Canada
How to apply for scholarship to study in Canada from Singapore
Indeed, the following steps can help you apply for a scholarship successfully to study in Canada.
- Via an internet-enabled computer, log on to the college, university or scholarship’s committee website in order to seek information on international students scholarships, eligibility criteria and guides to apply.
- Complete application and other requirements before deadline
- Lastly, wait to be informed if you were awarded the scholarship or not
Full vs. partially funded scholarships
Undoubtedly, partially funded and fully funded scholarships are the types of merit-based financial aids offered to students in Canada, including Singaporeans.
Besides, partially funded scholarships do not provide all the funds needed to begin the academic program in Canada. It only covers to certain extent.
Moreover, fully funded scholarships avails all the funds needed to start study in Canada.
How to apply for admission in Canada from Singapore
It is certainly easy to apply for admission to study in Canada from Singapore. You can apply online by yourself or by hiring an authorized representative.
Academic requirements to qualify to study in Canada
Concerning academic requirements, you need to focus on fulfilling the conditions below in order to be eligible for admission into your choice program.
- If you are applying for an undergraduate program, you must provide your High School grade 12 certificates with no course grade lower than C.
- In addition, you are required to achieve an entrance average not less than 70%.
- Ultimately, you need to have completed a degree program in order to qualify for graduate program admissions in Canada.
English/French language requirements
Of course, academic, language skills, and other requirements needs to be satisfied before sending an application to Canada for study.
Thus, you are expected to take one of these language proficiency tests and send its results to the Canadian institution.
Accepted English language tests for admissions
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
- Duolingo English Test
- Cambridge Assessment English test
- Pearson Test of English
- Canadian Academic English Language (CAEL) exam
Accepted French proficiency language proficiency tests
- Test d’Evaluation de Français Canada (TEF)
- Test de Connaissance du Français Canada (TCF)
Note: Keep in mind that language proficiency tests have a validity period of two (2) years, and are unusable thereafter.
- Letter of Intent (LOI): Being among the requirements to apply to study in Canada from Singapore, LOI briefly gives details on your intentions for choosing the program.
- Curriculum vitae or resume: During the admission application process, you need either a CV or resume, focusing on your academic achievements.
- Academic letter of recommendation: You will need to get recommendation letter (s) from specific person(s) such as sport coaches, teachers, etc.
Steps to apply for admission from Singapore
Indeed, the steps below can serve as your guideline when you want to apply for admission into a Canadian institution.
- First step: Make up your mind on the program you intend to complete at a Canadian institution.
- Second step: Collate all your documents and certificates. In addition, you need to procure other documents that are not at hand.
- Third step: Apply promptly for program after viewing requirements. At the same time, pay application fee and submit documents.
- Fourth step: Wait for some time to know whether you have been accepted for study or not.
- Fifth step: Apply for Canada’s study permit after getting an acceptance letter
- Last step: Buy flight ticket and travel to Canada.
Self application vs. use of consultants/representatives
If you would not mind the extra cost, you can hire an educational consultant to assist you all through until you eventually travel to study in Canada from Singapore.
This is quite better and stress-less compared to self application since a professional is undertaking most of the procedures on your behalf.
However, representatives are hirable through use of a representation form from IRCC.
Educational consultants in Singapore:
- TheRightU Overseas Education Consultancy (Singapore)
Address: 144 Robinson Rd, #11-02 Robinson Square, Singapore 068908
Phone number: +65 6333 1300
- Educational Link Consultants (S) Pte Ltd
Address: 545 Orchard Rd, Singapore 238882
Phone number: +65 6235 1080
- JACK StudyAbroad – University Representative / Education Consultant
Address: #08-02 Orchard Gateway @Emerald, 218 Orchard Road, Singapore 238851, Singapore 238851
Phone number: +65 6737 6734
- Singapore Foreign Student Services Centre
Address: 54 E Coast Terrace, Singapore 458949
Phone number: +65 9755 1836
- IDP Singapore Study Abroad/Overseas
Address: 2 Handy Rd, #02-08 The Cathay, Singapore 229233
Phone number: +65 6819 0560
- AUG Student Services | Study Abroad/Overseas Specialist
Address: 7 Maxwell Road #02-100 Annex B, Mnd Building, Singapore 069111
Phone number: +65 6227 0380
- CMS (Pte) Ltd
Address: 15 Enggor St, Realty Centre, Singapore 079716
Phone number: +65 6221 1666
Applying for Canada study visa from Singapore
Without a Canadian study permit, you are not endorsed to go to Canada for any form of academic matters.
If you are still processing your admission to study in Canada from Singapore, take note that study permit processing time requires waiting for about fourteen (14) weeks.
Requirements for Canada’s study permit
Below are the requirements of Canada’s study permit for Singaporean students.
- Firstly, your age range must be between 18 to 35 years to qualify for a visa to study in Canada from Singapore.
- Secondly, you must have a Letter of Acceptance (LOA) from a DLI.
- Thirdly, you are required to show proof of funds/finance.
- Fourthly, you need to undergo Immigration Medical Examination (IME).
- Fifthly, you must not have been convicted for any kind of crime.
- Lastly, Canada’s visa officer requires you to avail a round-trip flight ticket in order to ascertain your readiness to leave the country after study permit expiry.
Study permit Canada fees
Of course, Canada’s study permit application requires a one-time payment of $150 Canadian Dollars, which is same as 163.25 SGD.
Study permit Canada document checklist
- Valid Singaporean passport
- Acceptance letter from a Designated Learning Institution
- Academic letter of recommendation
- Two passport-sized photographs
- Language proficiency test result (test must be taken not more than the previous two years)
- Recent Immigration Medical Examination (IME) report
- Copy of proof of funds documents like bank statements of account, bank draft, and more
- Letter of Intent (LOI)
- Résumé or CV
- Recent police clearance certificate
- Copy of round-trip flight ticket
- Certificate of Acceptance of Quebec (CAQ) – Required to get study permit for education in Quebec).
Paper vs. online application for Canada’s study permit
Regardless of the fact that you can apply for Canada’s study permit via paper or online method, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) urges applicants to use online application.
Hence, you can only attempt paper application if the online paper is not working for you. This requires you to visit any of Canada’s visa application office in Singapore.
Study visa application offices in Singapore
- VFS Global
Address: #08, 135 Cecil St, 01 MYP Plaza, Singapore 069536
Phone number: +65 6224 1732
- VFS Global Joint Visa Application Center
Address: 79 Anson Rd, # 15-02, Singapore 079906
FAQs about study in Canada from Singapore
Is Canada the best country for Singaporean students?
Undeniably, all Canadian provinces and territories are best for natives of Singapore who want to integrate with Canada’s communities.
What is best time to apply for study in Canada from Singapore?
In September, January, April or May each year.