Are you interested in studying in Canada from Solomon? Are you confused about how to go about your study permit and the requirements on getting a scholarship to study in Solomon from Syria? Then this article is for you.
Solomon Islands is a sovereign country consisting of six major islands and over 900 smaller islands in Oceania, to the east of Papua New Guinea and northwest of Vanuatu. The country takes its name from the Solomon Islands archipelago, which is a collection of Melanesian islands that also includes the North Solomon Islands (a part of Papua New Guinea), but excludes outlying islands, such as the Santa Cruz Islands and Rennell and Bellona.
Are you interested in studying in Canada from Solomon? Are you confused about how to go about your study permit and the requirements on getting a scholarship to study in Solomon from Syria? Then this article is for you. It has broken down why you should study in Canada from Solomon, the study requirements and costs. Read on.
In this article
- Why Study in Canada from Solomon?
- Types of programs Solomon students can study in Canada
- Undergraduate Programs
- Graduate Programs
- Preparatory programs
- Part-time programs
- Full-time programs
- Online programs
- Cost of studying in Canada from Solomon
- Scholarship for Solomon students in Canada
- How to apply for admission in Canada from Solomon
- Frequently asked questions & brief answers
Why Study in Canada from Solomon?
The location of campuses for higher education in the Solomon Islands is problematic for much of the population. All campuses are in the capital city. Therefore, citizens from a poor background or distant location have limited access to achieve success in the higher education center. These and many more contribute to the reasons why you should consider studying in Canada from Solomon.
The topmost reasons students from Solomon Islands choose Canada are:-
- You can work while you study. In most other schools, as an international student, you would barely be allowed to work at all, and when you are allowed to, you would be restricted to certain fields or locations. As a student in Canada, you can earn as you learn, allowing you to pay your way through university or college all while obtaining crucial work experience.
- Studying in Canada gives you the opportunity to pay lower tuition fees. As an international student you will still pay more than Canadians for the same course, but that same course in another country, such as the United States, Australia or United Kingdom, would likely cost even more. Not to mention the scholarship schemes that are available.
- You have half a million others who can help and advise you. Students in Canada are from all walks of life. You would come across a lot of persons who would always be ready to help because they understand your day to day struggles.
- You will receive quality education. Canadian colleges and universities turn out incredibly talented graduates. These well-funded, internationally-renowned institutions attract top professors and offer courses tailored to a changing economy.
- You can enter the Canadian workforce. After your studies, you can get a work permit to stay back and work in Canada
- You can immigrate to Canada. As an international student or graduate, Canada wants you. Canada’s Express Entry immigration system offers bonus points to people with Canadian study and work experience, with further emphasis on your language skills, and your age
- You can travel. You have probably been in Solomon Islands all your life. Take the opportunity to visit a new place, change environment.
Types of programs Solomon students can study in Canada
An undergraduate program is a program that allows you to pursue a degree at the first level of higher education at a college or university. Undergraduate students are typically those working to earn a bachelor’s degree
A graduate program is a program that awards advanced academic degrees like the master’s and doctoral degrees, with the general requirement that students must have earned a previous undergraduate (bachelor’s) degree.
A preparatory year is a program designed to prepare you for your first year of higher education. Preparatory year programs often consist of language courses for those who are not native speakers in the language of study. College preparatory programs, often in the form of high school completion or diploma programs can provide a means to higher education, more money, and greater job potential.
A part-time program means studying equivalent half the rate of a student on a full-time course at any Canadian University. This entails studying 60 credits worth of study a year. You will need around 16- 18 hours to study each week.
A full-time program is generally a minimum of twelve credits or about four classes. They are usually somewhere between six and eleven credits or two to three classes. A full-time student spends more time in class than a part-time student.
An online degree is an academic degree (usually a college degree, but sometimes the term includes high school diplomas and non-degree certificate programs) that can be earned primarily or entirely through the use of an Internet-connected computer, rather than attending college in a traditional campus setting.
Cost of studying in Canada from Solomon
Studying in Canada has always been affordable when compared to other states. Canadian tuition fees are generally lower than those in Australia, the U.S. and the U.K. In the 2018/2019 school year, the average annual tuition for an undergraduate international student in Canada was $27,159 CAD. The average tuition for the same year spent at an American university can be compared at $45,950 USD.
You should also include the costs for the medical exams you would be required to take, the cost for miscellaneous fees like your police certificate, transcripts, courier delivery, photos, notaries, translations, the cost of housing, food and groceries, transportation, and electricity costs.
Scholarship for Solomon students in Canada
To help you set-off your tuition debts, there a scholarship opportunities available for Solomon students willing to study in Canada. The most popular ones are:-
- Concordia Presidential Scholarships Canada – Fully funded Fully Funded Concordia University
- Southern Alberta Institute of Technology – Awards for International Students
- Financial CAD Corporation Scholarship programs
- Engineering Institute of Technology(EIT). Scholarship programs- EIT International Excellence Scholarship.
- British Council Scholarship programs- British Council – IELTS Award, 2021.
- United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) Scholarship programs- Silk Roads Youth Research Grants, 2021
- International Turkey Scholarships at Niagara College in Canada, 2020-21
In applying for scholarship in Solomon to study in Canada, you must have:-
- Your student ID number and a parent’s email address
- Proof of residence
- Your original birth certificate
- A 2020 fall semester report card
- A DCSD-issued affidavit of residence, and the student’s latest MAP test scores
How to apply for admission in Canada from Solomon
The first step you should take towards studying in Canada is to choose your program and course of study. You must have in mind the program and course of study you intend to run in Canada from Solomon
The second step you should take is to pick a school you want to study in, and apply. Canada boasts of having a variety of schools. As such, picking a particular school to study in can be a daunting task. Ensure that the school in question offers the program and course which you have chosen.
After you have submitted your application, you would get a letter of acceptance from a Canadian designated learning institution if you get accepted into the school. You can then start the process of leaving to Canada from Solomon to study.
Apply for a Study Permit: With your acceptance letter in hand, you’ll be ready to apply for your study permit. The steps and requirements for getting a study permit have been listed below.
Process your visa and get ready to leave to study in Canada. Applying for Canada study permit from Solomon.
In applying for a study permit, there are certain requirements and steps that you must take. You can either apply for your study permit online or physical.
To apply online, you must have:-
- Access to a scanner or camera to create electronic copies of your documents to upload
- A valid credit card to pay with
- A valid email address
- Select the country/territory from which you will be applying to get your local visa office instructions.
- Sign in to your account. Your account lets you start an application
- Submit and pay for your application
- Get messages related to your application
- Check the status of your application and update your information by logging into your account.
In applying physically, you can visit any local visa office closest to you to get your study permit.
Frequently asked questions & brief answers
What is best time to apply for study in Canada from Solomon
The earlier you apply for admission into the new academic year, the better. Apply as early as you can- at least 3 months prior to resumption.
How to get scholarship to study in Canada from Solomon
You must apply for a scholarship to be able to get it. Ensure you meet the requirements, whether academically or country-based.
How to study in Canada after graduation from Solomon
Get all the documents needed ready and apply. You can apply to get another degree or you can choose to further your studies through a master’s program.
Do I need IELTS or TOEFL to study in Canada from Solomon
Yes. AN IELTS test is needed. Canada requires that you have a test to show you can speak English fluently. There are also other exams you can write to show your English proficiency level.
Can Solomon students work in Canada while studying
All students are allowed to work while studying in Canada so far they wish to. You can work up to 20-30 hours a week.
Is Canada the best country for Solomon students
Canada has a good history of accepting international students to study in Universities in Canada so far as you meet the requirements for schooling in the university.
When thinking of studying in Canada, make sure you do it for all the right reasons. Also make sure you enjoy the course and program you are about to pursue. Your passion for it would keep you going.