Generally speaking, coming to study in Canada from Sweden could make your biggest dreams become a reality.
Canada has one of the most generous immigration programs in the world. This level of open offerings for people from Sweden to gain entry, permanent residency, and Canadian Citizenship are unsurpassed.
Many students from Sweden want to study in Canada. Here we cover everything you need to know about how to study in Canada and options to Work and Study in Canada as a Sweden Citizen.
In this article
- Why Study in Canada from Sweden
- Types of Programs for Swedish Students to Study in Canada
- How to Apply for Admission in Canada From Sweden
- Define Your Program of Interest
- Choose Institution
- Determine Your Eligibility
- Follow Up on Deadlines
- Minimum academic requirements
- English/French language requirements
- Scholarship for Swedish Students in Canada
- General eligibility for scholarships
- Benefit of Canadian scholarship for Swedish students.
- Applying for Canada Study Visa from Sweden
- Online Vs Paper Application
- Study Permit Canada Requirements
- Study permit Canada fees
- Frequently Asked Questions
Why Study in Canada from Sweden
So many Swedish students wants to study in Canada, obviously Canada has one of the best educational system in the world, which makes students from different countries prefer coming to Canada for their studies.
Besides having easy going immigration policies, Canada also offers students a way to cater for themselves even while in school.
Therefore,you as a Swedish studying in Canada, you can be rest assured that whatever certification you get there will be well recognized wherever you go; that is, provided the profession does not require local certification elsewhere.
Below are reasons why you many need to apply to a Canadian post-secondary institution instead of studying in Sweden.
- Affordable tuition for premium quality education
- Classes are delivered by experienced and certified instructors and professors
- Affordable standard of living
- Wide-ranging programs of study in many and different disciplines
- Availability of many high paying job opportunities
- Extra advantage when applying for Canadian permanent residency
- Integrated programs of studies that helps to gain international experience working with an employer in Canada
- Access to financial aids, including scholarships and fellowships
- Simple process of application open to Sudanese students
- Ability to work as a Swedish Citizen in Canada
- Access to some of the best education institutions in the world
Types of Programs for Swedish Students to Study in Canada
There are lots of programs available for Swedish students to study in Canada, These programs, however, can be grouped into 5 major categories;
Upon completion of high school grade 12, you can use your certificate and official transcript to enroll in a Bachelor degree program in Canada.
Additionally, Bachelor degree usually takes about 3 to 4 years to complete and earn a degree certificate.
The undergraduate program in Canada offers the widest range of courses to pick from. It is definitely a great program to study in Canada from Sweden. The Bachelor Degree is what you want to go for first assuming you just finished secondary school in Sweden.
Swedish graduates can apply for any Master degree program in Canada. They are quite affordable to other types of programs offered by Canadian post-secondary institutions.
A master’s degree is an academic qualification granted to individuals who have successfully undergone Bachelor’s Degree in a specific field.
At the end of the Master’s degree program, participants get a Masters Degree such as Master of Science (M.Sc.), Master of Arts (M.A.), etc.
Of course, you can apply to undergraduate and graduate diploma programs offered in Canadian colleges and universities. Majority of these programs lasts for either one year or two.
Colleges in Canada offer Masters Degree programs to international students including those who want to study in Canada from Sweden.
MBA stands for Masters in Business Administration. It encompasses Masters Degree courses of study that fall within business management and all related studies. Full-time MBA studies in Canada can take up to 2 years to complete.
MBA programs in Canada help students develop the skills required to excel as business executives, such as the ability to quickly and accurately analyze large amounts of information and the ability to develop smart solutions to business problems.
The PhD, also known as the Doctor of Philosophy, is a research degree, which is one of the most common types of doctoral degrees, and is awarded to graduates in many different fields.
As the most eminent degree program earned in universities worldwide, studying PhD in Canada for at least 3 years is a great add-on to your portfolio.
This degree is usually conferred as the final degree in a particular field of study. It is pursued by students after they have attained the required minimum in their Bachelor’s and Masters degrees.Study in Canada from Venezuela
How to Apply for Admission in Canada From Sweden
Define Your Program of Interest
It’s actually wise to first determine which program or course you wish to study before applying to study in any institution or college in Canada, this will help you to make the best choice for yourself.
Canada’s education system is top-notch, however, some schools are better off in certain programs than others. It would be in your favor to determine your program of interest first, then move to the next step.
depending on the choice you’ve made in step one which is defining your program of interest, then you can go ahead and pick which school is best for you.
Determine Your Eligibility
When you’ve decided on what school you’re going to apply to, ensure you look through the program requirements of the school. After that, look through the requirements for the particular program you want to study for. Ensure you have all the requirements as stated by the school’s website.
Some institutions/programs may require you to have a certain level of knowledge in a language, proven by an exam like IELTS (for English). Others may require you to have background in a particular field. However, the key is to ensure you’re eligible for the school/program you want to study.
Follow Up on Deadlines
Following up on application deadlines is obviously very important when it comes to any application whatsoever. In this case, you have to be very vigilant and always check the university’s website for updates to follow up on the application process.
Minimum academic requirements
Here are the academic requirements that should be considered when applying for admission from Sweden into a college or university in Canada.
Undergraduate student requirements
- Official transcript of High School Grade 12. You also need to provide your secondary school certificate.
- Entrance average not below 70% with the college or university in Canada
Graduate student requirements
- Certificate and official transcript issued by a recognized Swedish university/college
English/French language requirements
Hence, you are required to take any of these English or French language proficiency tests and submit its valid results for admission processing to a Canadian college or university.
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
- Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program (CELPIP)
- Michigan English Test
- Canadian Academic English Language (CAEL) test
- Test d’Évaluation du Français Canada (TEF)
- Pearson Test of English (PTE)
- Test de Connaissance du Français Canada (TCF)
- Duolingo English Test (DET)
- Canadian Test of English for Scholars and Trainees (CanTEST)
- Cambridge Assessment English test (CAE or CPE)
Scholarship for Swedish Students in Canada
Learn more about scholarships to study in Canada from Sweden, Lots of International students benefit from numerous scholarships to study in Canada including students from Sweden.
General eligibility for scholarships
Certainly, Swedish students can get a certain type of international student scholarship without any separate application.
Moreover, these kinds of scholarships only require you to have at least 70% as admission average.
On the other hand, you can apply for some organizational scholarships offered to international students from Sweden in a particular program of study.
For the most part, some scholarships require application from Swedish students.
Here are steps to apply for these scholarships to study in Canada from Sweden:
- Firstly, check eligible international students for the scholarship in terms of nationality, program or educational institution
- Secondly, read instructions thoroughly on how to apply for the scholarship
- Lastly, apply and wait for a decision on your scholarship application
Benefit of Canadian scholarship for Swedish students.
A Free Scholarship covers a lot of benefits. These range from:
- Tuition Fees
- Accommodation fees
- Books Allowance
- VISA and Travel Fees
- Feeding Allowance
- Any other Expenses
Applying for Canada Study Visa from Sweden
Obviously, study visa/permit is an essential endorsement that allows you to travel to study in Canada from Sweden.
Online Vs Paper Application
Whether you are already in Canada or you are still in Sweden, you are advised to use an online application for your study visa in Canada.
Applying online makes it easier and less expensive for you. This is because you don’t have to spend money going to the visa office. Rather, you can just stay in your home and finish the whole process.
However, you can decide to do a paper application by going to the visa office in your country or the IRCC office in Canada.
Study Permit Canada Requirements
Indeed, you need a study permit to study at a designated learning institutions(DLI) in Canada from Sweden.
In that case, the following requirements must be satisfied to qualify for a Canadian study permit.
- Valid Grecian passport
- Must be aged between 18 to 35 years old
- Two (2) passport-sized photographs with your name and date of birth written at the back
- Acceptance letter from a Canadian Designated Learning Institution (DLI)
- Official transcripts and certificates of high school, college or university education
- Letter of explanation
- Statement of purpose
- Police certificate with details on previous crimes
- Proof of funds (tuition receipt, statement of accounts, scholarship documents, evidence of study loan, etc)
- Signed declaration form
- Valid results of English or French language proficiency examination
- Curriculum vitae or resume showing your current level of education
- Immigration Medical Examination (IME) result
- Proof to leave Canada after studies and study visa expiry via a return flight ticket
- Personal support amount not below $10,000 Canadian Dollars or €6,970
Study permit Canada fees
You are required to pay a fee of CAD $150 (€104.5) for your study permit application processing.Study in Canada from Nigeria
Frequently Asked Questions
How to get a scholarship to study in Canada from Sweden?
To get a scholarship in Canada from Sweden, you must first all have an excellent academic record, be good in English, and be involved in extracurricular activities.
Do I need IELTS or TOEFL to study in Canada from?
For your studies in Canada from Sweden, you will need an English language proficiency test result from a designated institution like IELTS or TOEFL.
Can Swedish students work in Canada while studying?
Yes, students from Sweden can work while they study. However, you will need a work permit before you can work in Canada.
When does my study permit expire?
Your study permit remains valid until 90 days after the end of your course.