Study in Canada from Tonga – Full Guide
Research shows that students choose to study in Canada from Tonga due to the country’s quality of education as well as its reputation as a multicultural and tolerant society.
Canada is among the top destinations for students who choose to study abroad. With one of the longest coastlines and a culture of tolerance and diversity, Canada is a natural destination for international students.
Although, there are post-secondary education in Tonga in the fields of agriculture, medicine, nursing and teaching, but most Tongan students choose to pursue their studies in Canada.
Additionally, Canada is an increasing popular option for students who seek and require a less expensive alternative to studying internationally at affordable cost.
More so, Canadians place a great amount of importance on learning and standard of learning in Canada are uniformly high.
Canadians do share important value such as pride, a belief in equality and diversity and respect for all individuals.
Why Study in Canada from Tonga
- The post-secondary institutions in Canada awards scholarships to international students than the institutions in other foreign countries including Tongan students.
- You can also work while studying in Canada. You can work for about 20 hours a week during the semester and full time during summer holidays.
- Many students takes their safety very seriously when it comes to choosing a university. Canada is one of the safest places to study as necessary measures are taken to keep students safe.
- Canada offers skill-based education that meets today’s dynamic labour market and a fast changing economy.
- You can work in Canada after you graduate by obtaining a post-graduation work permit. With this permit, you will be able to work full time for any employer.
Popular Canadian province for Tonga students
The following are the most popular Canadian provinces for Tongan students.
- British Columbia
It is the most populous Canadian Province and known primarily for its French speaking population, culture and heritage. Examples of Universities includes Universite de Sherbrook, Universite du Quebec among others.
The Canadian province of Ontario is a thriving, populous and commercial province located in central Canada. Examples of universities in Ontario includes University of Western, York University and so on.
Manitoba is a Canadian province that borders by Ontario to the east. It is a thriving province with beautiful landscape and friendly people. Universities includes University of Manitoba, Brandon University etc.
British Columbia is the country’s most Western Province. The major cities in BC are Victoria, Vancouver and Kelowna. Universities in this province includes University of Western, York University and so on.Study in Canada from Latvia
Types of Programs Tongan Students Can Study in Canada
Canada student programs are designed to meet industry requirements and employers demand.
Students are thoroughly prepared with not only theoretical but also comprehensive training that focuses on relevant demand skills.
Below are types of programs Tongan students can study in Canada
- Undergraduate Programs
- Master of Business Administration (MBA)
Average Tuition fee for Tonga Students
Below are the average tuition cost for students enrolled in different types at Canadian post-secondary institutions.
- Undergraduate programs ranges from $15,000 – $22,000
- Postgraduate programs ranges from $14,000 – $ 25,000
Minimum personal support amount in Canada
As an international student, you need to set aside a minimum of $10,000 every year as allowance during study in Canada. You can also access a number of student loans in Canada.
However,international student loan in Canada is the way to fund your cost of study in Canada. Most provincial loans are limited to Canadian students only.
Additionally, if you are an international student looking to study in Canada and you need an education loan, you might have to look for private providers.
More so, education loans along with scholarship are the easiest ways to fund your studies while studying in Canada because they are mainly for students and the repayments is flexible.
Other cost to think about to study in Canada from Tonga
However, you need to make some other payments apart from your tuition. Examples of these payments includes housing, textbooks, flight fees, health insurance and so on.
Below are the estimated cost for each of these fees
- Flights from Tonga to Canada: ranges from $550- $900
- Text books may cost up to $500
- Health coverage: $600
Minimum academic requirements to study in Canada from Tonga
As an international student, you must meet certain requirements specified by the school before you can be offered admission.
Additionally, postgraduate applicants must have previously completed an undergraduate program from a recognized institution and get your transcripts ready.
Steps To Apply for Admission from Tonga
To begin with, you need to check the institution’s website to check your course availability and the duration of your program.
- Secondly, it is essential to check if you can afford the institution’s tuition and other fees, as well as if you have met its admission requirements.
- Thirdly, apply for admission into the college or university and pay a non-refundable application fee.
- Fourthly, submit all supporting documents as requested by the institution and wait for the college or university to process your application.
If you receive a Letter of Acceptance from the institution, this means that you have been accepted for study into your preferred academic program.
- Lastly, you need to submit your study permit when applying for visa. If your study permit application gets approval, you can leave your country to study in Canada
English/French language requirements
You need to submit test results of several proofs of language skills to study in Canada.
However,the language requirements for each institution is different from the other.
Some of these tests includes:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
- International English Language Testing System ( IELTS)
- Canadian Academic English Language (CAEL)
Other requirements includes
- Statement of Purpose
Which contains the reasons why you want to study in Canada. A well-written SOP can help you gain an admission in college or university.
- Reference letters
A letter of recommendation for scholarship or admission is a letter written by someone who is in a position of authority.
Scholarship for Tongan Students in Canada
You can study in Canada on fully funded or partially funded scholarship. Canadian government and Universities offer Scholarships to international students including Tongan students every year.
If you wish to apply for a scholarship, the first thing that should come to your mind is the need to visit the college or university’s official website for directives on available application guidelines.
Colleges and post-secondary institutions in Canada provide a wide range of scholarship for Tongan students who aspire to study in Canada.
Additionally, there are programs and funding options for students particularly international students who possess high academic record or qualified students whom scholarships and other financial assistance is provided.
Most importantly, the scholarship available and type of award varies between institutions. You need to know that getting a scholarship is highly competitive so you must apply in time.
Documents needed to apply For a Canada Student Visa from Tongan
- A Completed student permit application form.
- Letter of acceptance from any of IRCC’s Designated Learning Institution (DLI).
- Valid passport from Tonga.
- Two recent passport-size photographs, with your name and date of birth at the back.
- As an international student, Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) will ask you to proof that you be able to finance your studies in Canada on your own.
- You need undergo a medical examination with a doctor approved by the Canadian government. You can find a list of approved centers by visiting http://www.cic.gc.ca/pp-md/pp-list.aspx.
- A police certificate in order to prove that you are involved in any crime and not an ex-convict.
- Above all, it is necessary for you to prove to the visa/immigration officer that you will not stay in Canada after the expiry of your study permit.
- A letter of intent or Statement of Purpose stating the reasons for choosing Canada over your home country and other countries.
Study Permit Canada Fees
All students who are planning to study in Canada from Tonga must pay for their Canadian study permit application.
Therefore, you need to pay as sum of CAN $150 in order to apply and process your study permit.
Study permit Canada processing time
Applying for a student visa from Tonga is very fast compared to other counties because Canada offers a welcoming environment for students who wants to come for study.
Above all, you need to wait for about 15 days before you can get your study permit to study in Canada from Tonga.
Note: Do not schedule flights from Tonga to Canada until after you have been issued your visa.
Study Permit Canada Extension
As a Tongan student, if your study permit expires before the completion of study, you can extend your study permit 60 days before the expiration date of your current permit.
Visa application offices in Tonga
There is no Canadian government office in Tonga.You can obtain consular assistance from the High Commission of Australia to Tonga, in Nuku’alofa.
High Commission of Australia
Address: Salote Road Nuku’alofa, Tonga.
Phone number: (+676) 20 400
Email: [email protected]
Additionally, you can visit the Visa Application Centre in Tonga for visa application and passport collection between 8am to 5:00pm on Mondays to Fridays.
How to check study permit application status
However, there are two (2) different ways of checking your Canadian study permit application status online.
- You can access your application status using you username and password.
- On the other hand, you can also view your application status by signing in via your online Canadian banking information.
What is the cost of the Canadian Student Permit Extension?
The cost of Canadian students permit extension is $150.
Can Tongan student extend their Canadian study Permit?
Yes, International students you extend their student visa study permit.
When does my study permit expire?
Your study permit expires 90 days from the date of graduation.
Do you need IELTS from Tonga?
Can I work Full Time as a student in Canada?
Yes. You can work for about 20 hours a week during the semester and full time during holidays.
How much can a student from Tonga earn in Canada?
The average Part Time For salary for Students from Tonga is $37,050 per year or $19 per hour.