Many students from the middle East choose to Study in Canada from United Arab Emirates every year. Do you know that more than 30 universities from Canada rank among the top 300 universities in the world? The North African country has a standard of education that tops almost all other countries of the world.
To study in Canada from United Arab Emirates (UAE), there are specific details you need to take note of. Take this as a comprehensive guide for your immigration journey. We hope that you will find answers to many of your questions as regards immigration to Canada from the United Arab Emirates.
What you will find in this article:
- Provinces you can study in Canada as an Emirati student
- Popular universities in Canada for Emirati students
- Cost of studying in Canada from the United Arab Emirates
- Organizations that offer scholarships to Emirati students
- How to apply for Canada Study Visa from the United Arab Emirates
- Canada Study Permit processing time and fees
- Paper vs. Online Application for Study Permit in Canada
Table of Contents
- Popular Canadian Provinces for Emirate Students to Study in Canada
- Types of Programs Emirati Students can Study in Canada
- Cost of Studying in Canada from the United Arab Emirates
- Scholarships for Emirati Students in Canada
- Apply for Canada Study Visa from UAE
Popular Canadian Provinces for Emirate Students to Study in Canada
- British Columbia
- Prince Edward Island
- Nova Scotia
Popular Universities in Canada for Emirati Students
- University of Winnipeg
- McMaster University
- University of British Columbia
- University of Alberta
- York University
- University of Toronto
- Concordia University
- University of Manitoba
- McGill University
- University of Calgary
- Western University
- University of Montreal
- Thompson Rivers University
- University of Regina
Types of Programs Emirati Students can Study in Canada
The following are the types of programs you can study in Canada from the United Arab Emirates:
- Undergraduate programs
- Diploma programs
- Masters programs
- MBA programs
- PhD programs
Cost of Studying in Canada from the United Arab Emirates
United Arab Emirate undergraduate students in Canada spend between C$10,000 and C$22,000 as tuition fees in Canada. Postgraduate students, on the other hand, may sometimes spend up to C$25,000.
You will also need to cater for other needs like your flight cost from UAE to Canada, cost of textbooks and other educational materials, transportation within the Canadian province, accommodation, feeding, and so on.
Scholarships for Emirati Students in Canada
One of the beautiful things about studying in Canada is the exposure to numerous scholarship opportunities.
As a new student of the United Arab Emirates in Canada, you can apply for entrance scholarships sponsored by your institution or the government. You will also find opportunities for interest free or low interest rate loans.
Organizations that Offer Scholarships to UAE Students
- Rotary Foundation
- Pierre Elliot Trudeau Foundation Doctoral Scholarships
- University of Calgary International Entrance Awards
- FINCAD Women in Finance Scholarship
- Aga Khan Foundation
- The Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC)
Apply for Canada Study Visa from UAE
The final application process to study in Canada from United Arab Emirates is obtaining a study visa. Canada’s official residential document for students is known as the Study Permit. You are to apply for the study permit before you leave UAE for Canada. Without the permit, you will not be able to immigrate to or reside in Canada (unless in some exceptional circumstances).
Note that the study permit is not the same as a visa. The visa is the entry document to study in Canada from UAE, while the permit is the legal document that permits you to reside in Canada. However, the IRCC will issue you both a visa and a permit when you apply for a study permit.
Submitting an online application is the best way to apply for a Canadian study permit from the United Arab Emirates. Paper applications are quite slow and are only open for certain kinds of students.
The following are the steps to cake when applying for a Canada Study Permit online:
Step 1: Obtain the Letter of Acceptance from your School.
When you receive an offer of admission from the school you applied to, it comes with an Acceptance Letter. This letter contains details about your duration of study in Canada and the DLI number of your institution. All of these are important and are needed by the IRCC for processing your Study visa.
Step 2: Gather all the Documents you Need.
Below, we have provided a document checklist for the Canada study permit and the major requirements for obtaining the permit. Ensure you meet all these prerequisites and have the documents at hand before you begin your application.
Additionally, there is an instruction guide provided by the IRCC on applying for a study visa. Read this guide to catch up on other information not contained on this page.
Step 3: Create an Online Account with IRCC and Apply for the Study Permit.
The easiest way to create an account with IRCC is to sign in with a GCKey. To do this, you will create a unique username and password, which you can always use to log into your account.
If you already have an account with IRCC, you will only need to log in and continue the application process. An individual should not have multiple accounts with the immigration office of Canada.
Step 4: Expect Feedback from IRCC.
It is essential that you check your mails periodically after making major applications like admission forms and that of a study permit. The IRCC may contact you to ask you to supply a missing document or inform you when your permit is ready. You will receive your study permit at the port of entry when you arrive in Canada from the United Arab Emirates. If you are already in Canada, the permit will be mailed directly to your Canadian address.
Study Permit Canada Requirements.
- An offer of admission from a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) in Canada.
- A clean criminal record in the United Arab Emirates of other country you reside in.
- Proof of sufficient funds to immigrate and settle in Canada from UAE, pay tuition fees and attend to your other expenses.
- Proof to immigration officers at the Canadian embassy in UAE that you will be leaving Canada immediately after your studies.
- An application fee of C$150 with a credit or debit card for payment.
Study Permit Canada Fees
The application fee for Canadian study permit is C$150.
Study Permit Canada Document Checklist
- Acceptance Letter from a Designated Learning Institution (DLI).
- Proof of identity such as your international passport or driver’s license (preferably your international passport).
- Two passport-sized photographs.
- A Valid Certificat d’acceptation du Quebec for students moving into Quebec.
- Letter of Explanation (if you have documents that are missing or cannot be provided due to COVID-19 regulations in the United Arab Emirates).
- A police certificate as proof of clean criminal record in the United Arab Emirates.
- Medical report.
- Proof of sufficient funds.
- A custodian declaration for students who are below age 18.
Study Permit Canada Processing Time
It may take up to 15 weeks for a Study Permit to be processed from outside of Canada. However, your permit may not delay for that long to be available, especially when you submit your documents correctly and in time.
Note that the IRCC cannot complete the processing of your permit until you have submitted complete documents. Hence, delays in providing necessary requirements can prolong the application days for your study permit.
Self Application Vs. Use of Consultants/Representatives
You can either apply for your study permit yourself or make use of a representative. Persons who can serve as your representative for study visa applications include immigration and education consultants, lawyers, and so on. Importantly, such persons must meet the requirements for immigration representatives in Canada.
Paper Vs. Online Application when Applying to Study in Canada from United Arab Emirates
As stated earlier, you can only apply for a study permit to study in Canada from United Arab Emirates. The exceptions to online application for study permit are:
- Inability to apply online due to a disability
- Also, you may waive the online application for a paper application if you keep having issues with the former.
How Much Does it Cost to Study in Canada from United Arab Emirates?
Undergraduate students: C$10,000 – C$22,000.
Postgraduate students: C$10,000 – C$25,000.
Personal sponsorship: about C$10,000 per annum.
How to get Scholarship to Study in Canada from United Arab Emirates?
You can find scholarships from your school’s website and other educational forums. There are usually more than one scholarship type you can benefit from in your school while you are still an entrance student.
The internet is the most resourceful tool for searching for relevant scholarships. You can include major keywords like your country of origin, program type and grades when searching for the scholarships.
Do I Need IELTS or TOEFL to Study in Canada from United Arab Emirates?
Yes you do. You must prove proficiency in English Language to study in Canada from UAE. English-speaking students can take recognized tests like IELTS and TOEFL to prove this. Other tests you can take are PTE, CAEL, and CanTest.