In recent years, multitude of Yemeni student have moved out to study in Canada from Yemen.
Students who go for study in Canada benefit from excellent education, they also get the opportunity to learn with the best and brightest.
Students can earn while they get knowledge, they also have access to diverse and cosmopolitan environment.
They are also cities and schools offering Bachelor programs in Yemen, which includes Sanaa (National University, Saba University etc.) Aden (University of Aden) Dhamar (Al Saeeda University).
Thamar (Thamar University) Ta’izz (Taiz University) Al- hudaydah (Hodeidah University) Shabhah (The Civilization Private University) and Ibb ( Ibb University).
Nevertheless, opportunities for Yemenis studying in Canada cannot be matched globally.
In this article, you will gain knowledge on reasons and benefits of studying in Canada, popular Canadian provinces, academic programs, average tuition, study permit requirements, fees, and scholarships.
In this article
- Why Study in Canada from Yemen?
- Popular Canadian Provinces for Yemeni Students
- Quebec (QC)
- British Columbia (BC)
- Ontario (ON)
- Types of Programs Yemeni Students can Study in Canada
- Undergraduate programs
- Graduate Diploma
- Average Tuition Fee for International Students
- Who can Sponsor Yemeni Students to Canada?
- Study loan for Yemeni students in Canada
- General Eligibility for Scholarships
- Organizations that offer Scholarships to Yemeni Students
- How to apply for scholarship to study in Canada from Yemen
- Full vs. partially funded scholarships
- Minimum academic requirements
- Steps to Apply for Admission from Yemen
- Self-application vs. use of Consultants/Representatives
- Study Permit Canada Requirements
- Study Permit Canada Fees
- Study Permit Canada Document Checklist
- Study permit Canada processing time
- Study visa application offices in Yemen
- How to check study permit application status
Why Study in Canada from Yemen?
Below are reasons why you may need to apply to a Canadian college or university for admission.
- Ability to work as a Yemeni in Canada for the duration of the course
- Internationally recognized qualifications.
- Straightforward application process for Yemen Nationals.
- Pathway to permanent residence for Yemeni Citizens.
- Of all the reasons, the pathway to permanent residency for Yemeni Citizens is the major reason why Yemenis study in Canada. The opportunities for Yemenis studying in Canada cannot be matched globally.
- Due to work placements, internships, apprenticeships, etc., you can easily gain Canadian work experience in relevant field of study.
- Canadian communities gladly accept Yemeni’s and other foreign nationals.
- Studying in a Canadian institution places you in a step ahead for immigration to Canada.
Popular Canadian Provinces for Yemeni Students
Certainly, Canada has ten (10) provinces and three (3) territories. However, the following are the most popular Canadian provinces for Yemeni students.
Ottawa is a small city in the province of Ontario. It is a popular city for international students as it is one of the best city in terms of its vibrancy, lower cost of living, and the educational options offered. It is a great place for students who intend to work part time while studying.
The province of Quebec is a very huge Francophone Canadian province consisting of several cities. Additionally, Quebec is the largest province in Canada, followed by Ontario.
British Columbia (BC)
Located in Western Canada, British Columbia is the third populous province in Canada.
The Canadian province of Ontario is a thriving, populous and commercial province located in central Canada. Besides, Ontario holds the largest portion of Canada’s population…
Types of Programs Yemeni Students can Study in Canada
These programs are for you if you just graduated from high school and want to study in Canada from Yemen.
These programs enable you to earn credits to further your graduate studies.
Of course, there are varieties of Master’s Degree programs availed by Canadian institutions. These include MSc, MA, MPH, MLA, MFA, MSM, MPA, MSW, etc.
Master in Business Administration degree seems professional than other masters programs. For the most part, MBA study lasts for up to two (2) years.
PhD is the highest degree you can get in a post-secondary institution. Besides, Doctorate degree programs usually last for a minimum of 3 years.
Average Tuition Fee for International Students
However, universities in Canada set their own fees and these vary depending on several factors: what program you are studying, whether you are studying at an undergraduate or postgraduate level.
Below are the average tuition fees for undergraduate and postgraduate Canadian post-secondary institutions.
- Undergraduate program: CAN $15,000 to CAN $22,000
- Graduate program: CAN $10,000 to CAN $25,000
Minimum personal support amount in Canada
As a student studying in Canada, you are required to set aside a minimum of CAN $10,000 (2,025,661 YER) as allowances, which includes cost of flight, housing etc.
Who can Sponsor Yemeni Students to Canada?
You can get sponsorship to Canada from any of the following:
- Parent, guardian or any member of your family
- Friend and so on.
Study loan for Yemeni students in Canada
International student who desire to study in Canada from Yemen are also entitled to student loans in Canada.
Additionally, international students at a Canadian university may have limited resources available to them.
Students can also get loans through private lenders, and each lender will have their own requirements and rules on eligibility.
It is important to research your options and find a lender that will offer you a loan that meets your needs.
Other costs to think about to study in Canada from Yemen
You need to make some other payments apart from your tuition. Examples of these payments include flight fee, health coverage, housing, feeding etc.
Thus, below are the estimated costs for each of these fees.
- Flight fee from Yemen to Canada: ranges from CAN $400 to CAN $900
- Health insurance coverage: CAN $950
- Textbooks & supplies: may cost up to CAN $700
- Student Services fees: CAD $400
General Eligibility for Scholarships
Scholarships in Canada are strictly awarded to students based on their academic performance.you need a pass mark not less than 70% before a scholarship can be awarded to you based on merit.
Organizations that offer Scholarships to Yemeni Students
The following organization offer scholarships to Yemeni students
Canadian Government Scholarships: These are awards offered by the government to encourage students to study in Canada.
Non-Government Scholarships: Offered by various different trusts, foundations, and organizations to students pursuing a specific course stream to encourage participation and development in the said field.
Institutional Scholarships: Offered by universities or colleges in Canada to students who are pursuing education in the school.
How to apply for scholarship to study in Canada from Yemen
If you wish to apply for a scholarship, the fist thing you need to do is to visit the college or university’s official website for directives on available application guidelines.
However, you can also apply for graduate teaching assistanceship as a postgraduate student.
Full vs. partially funded scholarships
Fully funded scholarships covers 100% of your tuition fee until you graduate from school including housing, feeding and more.
Partial-funded scholarships only covers part of your tuition fee.
Minimum academic requirements
As a prospective student, you must meet the requirements specified by the school before you can be offered admission to the school. These requirements varies from one institution to another.
Firstly, you must have graduated from high school if you want to apply for an undergraduate or postgraduate program in Canada.
Furthermore, postgraduate applicants need to have previously completed an undergraduate program from an accredited institution and get their transcripts ready.
However, you need to attain a minimum admission average of 70%.
English/French language requirements
Canadian educational institutions accept the test results of several proofs of language skills.
Besides, the language requirement of each Canadian post-secondary institution is different from the other.
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
- Michigan English Test
- Canadian Academic English Language (CAEL) assessment and so on.
Other requirements includes
Letter or statement of purpose: Statement of Purpose (SOP) gives an account of your experiences that motivates your enthusiasm to further study a specific field and pursue a career in it.
A well-written SOP has the potential to get you the scholarship or to score an admission in college or university.
Reference letters: A Letter of Recommendation for Scholarship is a letter created by someone who is in a position of authority that can give attestation to the capacity of an applicant to be granted a scholarship.
Academic teachers and school counselors should write letter of Recommendation.
Steps to Apply for Admission from Yemen
Below are steps that can help you complete the application process for study in Canada from Yemen.
The general process of admission to Canadian universities is as follows:
Firstly, decide which university and program you want to study. You will have to choose between
- French-taught or English-taught program.
- Level of study, i.e. Bachelors, Masters or PhD program.
- Different provinces in Canada, if location is an important factor to you.
Secondly, once you have narrowed down your preferences, you must visit the college/university website and learn about the application process, deadlines, admission requirements, scholarship options, etc.
Thirdly, register on the particular university portal and fill in the application form with your personal details, then pay the application fee. Make sure to submit your application before the deadline.
Fourthly, upload the required documents before the document submission deadline.
Fifthly, apply for any scholarships in Canada if you meet the respective eligibility criteria.
Afterwards, the university will contact you with an admission offer, most likely via email. You must then confirm your acceptance in order to be admitted to the university.
The next step is to apply for a study permit in Canada, if the program you have enrolled in has a duration longer than 6 months.
Note that you need the acceptance letter from the university (which must be a Designated Learning Institution) in order to apply for the study permit.
Self-application vs. use of Consultants/Representatives
You can apply for study in Canada from Yemen by yourself or through a representative.
However, using a representative has great benefits since they are mostly accredited by the institution’s itself.
Simply by downloading, completing and submitting the Use of a Representation Form, you can hire a consultant/representative to assist you for your applications.
Study Permit Canada Requirements
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) require all international students to meet certain conditions in order to study in Canada from Yemen or any country.
With this in mind, it is important that you satisfy the following requirements
- You are qualified for Canadian study permit if you have received a Letter of Acceptance from any of IRCC’s Designated Learning Institution (DLI).
As an international student, Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) will expect you to be able to finance your studies in Canada on your own.
- Secondly, you may be required to undergo a medical test to prove your wellness.
- Thirdly, you may need a police certificate in order to prove that you are not involved in any crime and not an ex-convict.
Above all, it is necessary for you to prove to the visa/immigration officer that you will not stay in Canada after the expiry of your study permit.
Study Permit Canada Fees
All students who are planning to study in Canada from Yemen must pay for their Canadian study permit application.
Therefore, you need to pay a sum of CAN $150 in order to apply and process your study permit.
Study Permit Canada Document Checklist
If you intend to study in Canada from Yemen, you need to submit the following documents and credentials.
- Proof of identity such as a valid passport or traveling document, as well as two (2) new passport photos with your full names and date of birth written on it.
- Letter of Acceptance (LOA) received from an accredited Learning Institution (DLI) for admission into an academic program.
- Proof of funds through a Canadian bank account, tuition receipt, recent bank statements, Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC), financial aids or student loan documents, among others.
- English Language Proficiency Exam Score where required
- Statement of Purpose for Travel from Yemen to Canada
- Credit Card.
Study permit Canada processing time
Indeed, you need to wait for about 15 days before you can get your study permit to study in Canada from Yemen.
By then, your Canadian study permit application will have gone through complete processing.
Note: Do not book flights from Yemen to Canada until the visa has been granted.
Paper vs. online application
If you are contemplating whether to apply online or on paper to study in Canada from Yemen, it is best that you apply online for convenient and quick application.
Thus, ensure that your documents and credentials are in PDF format.
You also need an internet-enabled computer with up-to-date browser as it facilitates hassle-free application process.
Study visa application offices in Yemen
Unfortunately, there is no Visa Application Center in Yemen but you can contact the Canadian Embassy in Yemen.
How to check study permit application status
There are two (2) different ways of checking your Canadian study permit application status online.
- You can access your application status using your username and password.
- On the other hand, you can also view your application status by signing in via your online Canadian banking information.
You must have created an online bank account with any of the following Canadian banks.
- National Bank
- Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce (CIBC)
- Royal Bank of Canada
- Tangerine Bank
- Toronto Dominion Bank
- Scotia Bank
- The Bank of Montreal (BMO)
- Conexus Credit Union, among others
What is the age limit for Canada student visa fromYemen?
Yemeni students must be between 18 years of age and 35 years of age.
Is an interview required for a Canadian student visa application?
Yemenis are not required to have an interview as part of their Canada Student Visa application.
Is the medical for Yemeni students applying for a Canada Study Visa compulsory?
The medical examination is compulsory for all Yemenis applying for a Canadian student visa.
When should I apply for my Study Permit?
Yemeni applicants should apply as soon as the letter of acceptance (LOA) is received from the education provider.
As a Yemeni international student, can I get Canadian Permanent Residence?
Students from Yemen convert their Canada student visa to full Canadian Permanent residency via Canadian Experience Class Visa. This is the main reason why individuals study in Canada from Yemen.