Here, we cover everything you need to know about how to study in Canada from Zambia and options to Work and Study in Canada as a Zambia Citizen.
We will provide you with information and a guide to help you apply for study in Canada from Zambia.
With this information, you will learn about the reasons and benefits of studying in Canada, popular Canadian provinces, average tuition, student loan, study permit requirements, fees, scholarships, and academic programs, among others.
In this article
- Why Study in Canada from Zambia?
- Types of Programs Zambian Students can Study in Canada
- How to Apply for Admission in Canada from Zambian
- Self Application vs. Use of Consultants/Representatives
- Minimum Academic Requirements
- English Language Requirements
- Other Requirements
- Applying for Canada Study Visa From Zambia
- What is a Study Permit in Canada?
- Study Permit Canada Requirements
- Study Visa Application Offices Zambia
- Scholarship for Zambians Students in Canada
- Eligibility for Scholarships
- Organizations that Offer Scholarships to Zambians
- Benefits of Canadian Scholarships for Zambian Students
- How to Apply for a Scholarship to Study in Canada from Zambia
- Full vs. Partially-Funded Scholarships
- Cost of Studying in Canada from Zambia
- Tuition Fees Vary by Program and School
- Frequently Asked Question
Why Study in Canada from Zambia?
The choice to study in Canada from Zambia could be one of the best decisions to make to secure a better future.
It is, however, no doubt that Canada is considered one of the most friendly and multicultural countries in the world, with a very considerate cost of living, world-class universities, and many opportunities for permanent residency.
Canada has one of the most generous immigration programs in the world. This level of open offerings for people from Zambia to gain entry, permanent residency, and Canadian Citizenship are unsurpassed.
Here are reasons why you may want to study in Canada:
- access to some of the best educational institutions in the world
- ability to work as a Zambian Citizen in Canada
- a simple process of application open to Zambian students
- a clear and popular path to long-term visa options for permanent residency in Canada.
- Studying in a Canadian institution puts you ahead of immigration to Canada.
- The post-secondary institutions in Canada avail scholarships to international students more than the institutions in other foreign countries, including Zambia.
Very few student visa offerings are so generous. With all these benefits, Canada should be considered a viable option for applicants from Zambia.
Types of Programs Zambian Students can Study in Canada
A diploma is a document issued by an educational institution, such as a vocational and training institution, community colleges, and some colleges and universities, to demonstrate that a student has completed a course of study.
A diploma certificate also demonstrates that you are knowledgeable in a particular subject. You can use your diploma to boost your job prospects by including it on your resume and demonstrating your skill level to potential clients and employers. To complete and get a diploma, it usually takes 12 to 18 months of full-time study.
Many Zambian students arrive in Canada yearly to start undergraduate degree programs in many universities and colleges.
A full-time bachelor’s degree program in Canada lasts four years full-time, depending on the course and specialty.
In Canada, the provincial government is in charge of education, while the federal government supervises its overall operation. As a result, international students are welcome in public and private educational institutions, universities, and colleges.
Master’s degree programs are popular among Zambian students studying in Canadian schools. Students who have finished postgraduate study in a specific field of study or professional practice and demonstrated a high level of competence during the process are awarded a master’s degree.
A master’s degree certifies that students have completed advanced coursework in their field of study.
Students having a bachelor’s degree can enroll in this program, which typically takes one to two years to finish. However, most Zambian students complete their MS program in between 1-2 years.
The doctorate in Canada, like in other countries, is usually conferred as a final ‘terminal degree,’ or the most outstanding level of academic certification a student can acquire after completing an undergraduate Bachelor’s degree and a postgraduate Master’s degree.
Along with the traditional academic Ph.D., a variety of doctoral degrees are offered, including professional doctorates such as the Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) and Doctor of Education (EdD).
Most courses require at least three years of full-time study and research, while some students enroll for up to six years.
How to Apply for Admission in Canada from Zambian
To apply for admission in Canada, you need vital information such as academic requirements, language requirements, a statement of purpose, and a reference letter.
Self Application vs. Use of Consultants/Representatives
You can apply for study in Canada from Zambia or through an educational consultant or representative.
Moreover, using a consultant or representative has excellent benefits since the institution mainly accredits them.
Minimum Academic Requirements
You must graduate high school to apply for an undergraduate program in Canada.
Furthermore, graduate study applicants need to have previously completed an undergraduate program from a recognized institution.
However, you need to attain a minimum admission average of 70%
English Language Requirements
Canadian educational institutions accept the test results of several proofs of language skills.
Besides, each Canadian post-secondary institution’s language requirement differs from the others.
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
- Canadian Academic English Language (CAEL) assessment
- Michigan English Test
- Pearson Test of English (PTE)
- Duolingo English Test
- Reference letter: The educational institution may request you to provide a letter of reference (s) from an academician, clergy, etc.
- Completed Application form
- Essay/s or writing sample
- Statement of Purpose required for graduates and optional for undergraduates
- Resume for MBA Students
- Official score reports of SAT/TOEFL/GRE/GMAT to be sent by ETS
- Letter from Bank stating – funds available for study
- Affidavit of Financial Support, i.e., letter signed by sponsor or parent
- Transcripts and Mark sheets from College or University
- Certificates of Extracurricular Activities
Applying for Canada Study Visa From Zambia
If you want to study in Canada, you will need a study permit before you can study in any part of Canada.
What is a Study Permit in Canada?
A Canadian Student Visa or Educational Visa is called a Canadian Study Permit. The study permit is a document the Canadian Government issues that allow international students from Zambia to study at designated learning institutions (DLI)’s in Canada.
Study Permit Canada Requirements
The following are the documents needed to apply For a Canada Student Visa as a Zambian Citizen:
- Valid Zambia Passport. (make sure it is valid beyond the term of the visa you seek)
- Proof of Acceptance by a Designated Learning Institution in Canada.
- Proof of Funds in Zambia (see below for the minimum fund requirements)
- Passport Size Photographs.
- An Immigration Medical Examination (IME)
- English Language Proficiency Exam Score where required
- Statement of Purpose for Travel (being to study)
- Credit Card
Study Visa Application Offices Zambia
Office Locations & Contacts:
The Director General of Immigration
Kent Building, Long Acres
Haile Selassie Avenue
P.O. Box 50300
- Public Relations Office: +260 211 255282
- Customer Service Center: +260 211 252622
- Switchboard: +260 211 251725,+260 211 252669, 0955659493, 0962172550, 0971718499
Fax: +260 211 254393/252831/252008
Scholarship for Zambians Students in Canada
To some extent, the cost of studying in Canada is very high. However, you can check if you are eligible for scholarships to lower the expensive cost.
Eligibility for Scholarships
Scholarships in Canada are merit-based and are awarded to students based on their academic performance.
You only need to attain an entrance average of not less than 70% before a scholarship can be automatically awarded to you.
Organizations that Offer Scholarships to Zambians
- John Crook Scholarship for Undergraduate and Masters Students.
- MasterCard Foundation Scholarships
- ETH Zurich Excellence Masters Scholarships
- United World Colleges Scholarship Opportunities in Zambia
- EU Merit Scholarships in Zambia
- National Health Research Authority Junior Researcher Awards in Zambia
- Scholarship from the Government of Quebec
Benefits of Canadian Scholarships for Zambian Students
A Free Scholarship covers a lot of benefits. These range from:
- Tuition Fees
- Accommodation fees
- Books Allowance
- VISA and Travel Fees
- Feeding Allowance
- Any other Expenses
How to Apply for a Scholarship to Study in Canada from Zambia
Suppose you desire to apply for a scholarship before leaving Zambia. In that case, you need to visit the college or university’s official website for directives on available financial aid and application guidelines on how to apply for a Canadian scholarship.
Full vs. Partially-Funded Scholarships
Generally speaking, fully-funded scholarships cover 100% of your tuition fee for an academic year, while partial-funded scholarships only cover part of your tuition fee.
Cost of Studying in Canada from Zambia
The Tuition fee costs tend to rise steadily year after year. Therefore, using the previous year’s data as a guide is beneficial. The tuition fee structure to study in Canada from Zambia is similar to that of international students from other countries.
Tuition Fees Vary by Program and School
The average tuition charge for an international student in Canada is estimated to be roughly US$20,000 per year. This works to $60,000 for a three-year degree and $80,000 for a four-year degree.
A topic in the arts or humanities, such as Geography, Philosophy, English, or Social Sciences, will most likely have a lower tuition fee.
Business courses, on average, cost roughly US$20,000 per year, which is comparable to the national average.
Frequently Asked Question
Can I Work and Study in Canada as a Zambian Student?
There are two categories of visa for students wishing to study in Canada from Zambia
1- The study work visa for students is the SW-1 visa or study permit. It is given to students with compulsory work, internship, or co-op programs within their nominated study program.
2 – the S-1 Visa or study permit is for all other students in standard education programs with an optional work or co-op program or none at all. This is the study permit given to most Zambia Students looking to study in Canada.
What is a Canadian Study Permit Number?
A Canadian Study Permit Number is a document number that appears on official immigration documents and your Zambian Passport. For study permits. It is usually printed in black ink with the letter “F” (for study permits) followed by nine numbers.
What is the difference between a study permit and a student visa?
A Student Visa allows you to enter Canada as a Zambian Citizen. And the Study Permit permits you to stay in the country. So that is why you will be issued a student visa and a Canadian Study Permit.
What is the cost of the Canadian Student Permit from Zambia?
CAD 150 per person