International students require a Canada Study Permit (and accompanying student’s visa) in order to study in any of Canada’s Designated Learning Institutions (DLIs). Canada is the best and most desirable destination for many international students from all over the world. If you are interested in studying in Canada, you will need to be well informed about the Canada study permit and the processes. You may also be able to work part time in Canada while studying.
There are many steps involved with applying for a Canadian study permit and the processes vary from country to country. Our step-by-step instructions will guide you on how to apply for a Canadian study permit. It will inform you of the processing times, as well as other useful information necessary for a successful application.
In this article
- What is Canada Study Permit?
- Documents requirements for Canada Study Permit, 2022
- Apply for Study Permit from Outside Canada
- Apply Study Permit from Within Canada
- Extend Study Permit In Canada
- Obtaining Work Permit After Study In Canada
- How to study in Canada navigation table
- FAQs about Canada Study Permit
- 9 Best International Recruitment Agencies in Canada
- Proof of Funds: Minimum Amount to Study in Canada, 2022-23
- Write a Letter of Explanation for Canada Study Permit
- 9 Best Pre-med Programs in Canada, and top 11 schools
- Best 8 Mobile Phone Plans in Canada, 2022
- Working Two Full-Time Jobs In Canada – Right Or Wrong?
- How to Become a Licensed Tattoo Artist in Canada, 2022
- How to Migrate to Canada as a Teacher in 2022
- 10 Best Cities in Canada for Immigrants with Family
- Immigrate to Canada as a Doctor or Specialist Physician – Full Guide
What is Canada Study Permit?
Basically, a Canadian study permit is a document usually issued to international students who come to study in any designated learning institution in Canada. This document grants you legal authorization or permission to study in Canada.
In addition, when applying for a permit, you should be aware that there are certain conditions and requirements that must be met when submitting the application for a study permit. Hence, before applying you need to make sure all documents are ready and intact.
You should also know that your Canadian study permit is not a Canadian visa. A student visa authorizes you to come to study in Canada. While, on the other hand, a study permit gives you the authorization to stay in the Country. It also depends on your country of origin. If your country is included in the Visa Exempt Countries, you do not require a visa to enter Canada. A foreign student can also extend a study permit whenever it expires. You are given an extra 90 days to either apply for an extension or leave Canada.
Documents requirements for Canada Study Permit, 2022
In order to obtain a Canadian study permit, a prospective foreign student must:
- Have obtained a Letter of Acceptance from a Designated Learning Institution in Canada.
- Show prove of an adequate fund to cover tuition fees and other living expenses.
- Prove to the Canadian immigration officer that will leave Canada at the end of their authorized stay.
- Be admissible to Canada. In other words, they must have a clean criminal and/or medical records. The applicant may also be required to provide a police certificate to prove their status.
There are other additional requirements, depending on the student’s circumstances or country of origin.
Apply for Study Permit from Outside Canada
No matter where you are staying, you might be able to apply for a study permit from outside Canada.
Although, the COVID-19 crisis has affected travel plans for most foreigners including international students. Canada has put in place special measures to help students begin their studies outside Canada while travel restrictions are in place.
To apply for a Canadian study permit, you may need to visit any Canadian visa office close to you. But first, you must get a letter of acceptance from a Designated Learning Institution (DLI).
The acceptance letter must be issued by the Canadian institution (e.g. college, university, etc.) on official letterhead, indicate the exact amount of tuition fees you need to pay, the expected starting and finishing dates, and the date by which you want to register.
Once you have your letter of acceptance, you can complete and submit an application for a study permit.
Apply Study Permit from Within Canada
You can apply for a study permit from within Canada. In some cases, you can apply when you arrive in Canada at the port of entry (POE). You can also apply as a visitor. It is however advisable to apply online as it is processed faster and you get updates and information on the application status directly in your online account.
When you apply, you should submit the following documents:
- the acceptance letter issued to you by the DLI you will be attending.
- as many of the documents required for a complete application as possible.
- a letter of explanation for any missing documents due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
If you can not apply online because of issues that may be relating to disability, you can apply on paper. The application processes for foreign students living abroad and for those residing in Canada are generally the same.
Extend Study Permit In Canada
For renewing or extending a study permit, foreign students need to have a valid study permit. If in case, your study permit expires before completion of your studies (program) then you need to apply for a renewal of your study permit. Normally, you should apply at least 30 days before your current study permit expires. Candidates can lodge their applications via mail or online.
If on the other hand, you have completed your study program, you may be eligible to apply for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP). You may check our resource page on applying for PGWP.
Some students may also decide to change their status to a visitor if they are no longer studying or apply for PGWP. But do take into account that, there’s a timeframe for these processes, which is usually 90 days, after which you can no longer renew your status.
Obtaining Work Permit After Study In Canada
If you plan to stay in Canada after your graduation, there are a number of programs that you can apply for.
Basically, a post-graduation work permit (PGWP) will allow you to obtain valuable work experience in Canada, which in turn boosts your chances for a Canadian Experience Class (CEC) visa. The PGWP can be issued for the length of your program of study, for up to three years duration.
For instance, let’s say you completed a two-year master’s degree program, you could be eligible for a three-year work permit if you meet the conditions. If you completed an eight-month certificate program, you may be qualified for a Canadian work permit that is valid for no more than eight months.Get visa to study in Canada
The Canadian Experience Class visa gives international graduates the opportunity to make a smooth transition from temporary to Canadian permanent residence.
This is open to candidates who understand Canadian society and can contribute to economic growth. Knowledge of English or French, as well as qualifying work experience, is very essential.
FAQs about Canada Study Permit
A. You only apply for amendments if there is an error made on your study permit, maybe a visa officer.
If for instance, you were eligible to work when you entered Canada but your permit did not state that you “may work”, you will need to correct or amend your permit before you can work in Canada. As quickly as possible you have to apply for an amendment if you are eligible.