If you’re looking for things to do in Granby, you’ll find enough activities and attractions to keep you busy throughout your stay. Granby is brimming with exciting activities to enjoy all summer long for both residents and visitors. This charming city in southwest Quebec is known for its world-class zoo, 40 city parks, and the country’s largest French-language music festival.
To live in Granby is to enjoy an exceptional quality of life. So, let’s go through the best things to do in Granby as well as all the good places to be during the weekend,
In this article
- Where is Granby located?
- How Many People Live in Granby?
- Neighboring cities near Granby
- Things to do in Granby – For Residents and Visitors
- #1. Visit of the Granby Zoo
- #2. Centre de Sante Eur-Spa
- #3. Cycling
- #4. Museum and Interpretation Centres
- #5. National park and Recreation Centres
- #6. Visit the sport facility
- #7. Delight for the Senses
- #8. Visit the public and Farmers Market
- #9. Ice Castles
- #10. watching the sun set in Granby
- What does a weekend look like in Granby?
- Where to stay in Granby
- #1. Domaine Jolivent
- #2. Au Loup, Bed & Boutique
- #3. Auberge West Brome
- #4. Auberge Knowlton
- Best restaurants in Granby
- Frequently Asked Questions
Where is Granby located?
Granby is a town in southwestern Quebec, located east of Montreal. The city is about 95 km from Montréal and 230 km from Québec. It is the second most populated city in Estrie after Sherbrooke. The town is named after John Manners, Marquess of Granby; today it is most famous for the Granby Zoo and its landmark fountain of Lac Boivin.
How Many People Live in Granby?
Approximately 66,222 people live in Granby with with immigrants making up nearly half of its population. Granby is the seat of La Haute-Yamaska Regional County Municipality. It is the second most populated city in Estrie after Sherbrooke.
Neighboring cities near Granby
Some of Granby’s neighboring cities include Burlington (Vermont), Quebec City, Montreal, Mont-Royal and Saint-cesaire. You may also want to consider exploring some of this neighboring cities when visiting or touring in Granby.
Things to do in Granby – For Residents and Visitors
Interestingly, there are so many things to do in Granby, This article covers few of the many activities and attractions that this vibrant city has to offer to residents and visities.
#1. Visit of the Granby Zoo
The Granby Zoo is one of the most important zoos in Canada and northeastern North America. It presents nearly 1,500 animals divided into more than 225 species. Visiting the zoo is more than a fabulous encounter with exotic animals.
#2. Centre de Sante Eur-Spa
Euro-Spa Health Centre is one of the first health destination centres in Quebec established for 25 years in the Eastern Townships, only 45 minutes from Montreal. Come discover different therapeutic baths scented with exotic essences from Europe, steam sauna, infrared and Finnish saunas as well as Kneipp tubs.
Offer yourself different types of beauty and body treatments and relaxation in our facilities with or without lodging as well as our European and Mediterranean cuisine at our bistro
Véloroute du lac Aylmer, 42 km circuit of intermediate level, showcases the majestic Lac Aylmer. It is accessible by the municipality of Stratford with the possibility of parking at Parc du lac Aylmer (formerly Domaine Aylmer). Some stops or lookouts can be found along the route in Stratford, Weedon, Beaulac-Garthby and Disraeli. A great family getaway.
#4. Museum and Interpretation Centres
Museum and Interpretation Centres is four attractions that tell the story of the municipality of Courcelles. The Bernier Mill, a tourist activity center where various exhibitions are presented, is of heritage interest for its historical value as a witness to the beginnings of the municipality. The viewpoint of the mill allows you to observe the waterfall and the Rivière aux Bleuets dam.
#5. National park and Recreation Centres
The Parc de la Gorge de Coaticook offers a wide range of activities. In summer, enjoy hiking trails, which includes walking on the longest suspended footbridge in North America, night-illuminated Foresta Lumina pathway, 182 campsites, mountain biking and a mini-farm. In winter, enjoy snowshoeing, walking, skating, snow biking and snow scooter.
#6. Visit the sport facility
Motion Park, located in Granby, at 1 hour drive from Montreal only, offers activities for the whole family! Through the structures of Ninja Warrior, the modular Parkour area, the Airbag area with the giant interactive game, children (5 years and over), adults and athletes are sure to have fun!
#7. Delight for the Senses
In the heart of the Eastern Townships, on a lakeshore, the St-Christophe Hotel Boutique & Spa is a choice four-star establishment touting European architecture. The room’s comfort and beauty will take you by surprise. Its restaurant, Le Bistro Le Picollo, will charm your palate with its fine Mediterranean cuisine, enjoy many tapas or a gastronomic table d’hôte while enoying one of their imported wine. Don’t forget to stop by the spa, where its qualified therapists and aestheticians will pamper you.
#8. Visit the public and Farmers Market
Come fall for the charm of the Sawyerville Villagers’ Market, one of the newest public markets in the area. A dozen producers teamed up to give locals access to their delicious products—and it paid off! With an offering ultra-fresh produce, the market attracts increasingly large crowds. Can we count you in, too?
#9. Ice Castles
These castles are made entirely of ice – yes, even the roof! They’re open during the winter months and feature a variety of sculptures, slides and tunnels to explore.
#10. watching the sun set in Granby
One of the best things to do in Granby is to watch the sun set. This beautiful city offers one of the best views in the world, and there’s no better place to watch the sun go down than on one of its beaches.
What does a weekend look like in Granby?
Get away for the weekend and enjoy the best of Granby! Whether you’re planning a romantic escape or a family-friendly adventure, the region has plenty of exciting experiences and activities to offer.
- Go for a romantic hike.
- Visit Granby’s Art Gallery and take in some of the city’s culture.
- Enjoy a scenic drive along the Sea to Sky Highway.
- Relax at one of the best spas or go for a couples massage.
- Check out one of Granby’s many bars or clubs
- Attend a concert
- Go on a hike through Parks.
- Explore the public market, shops, and restaurants.
- Go for a walk along one of its many trails.
Where to stay in Granby
Choose from some of the best hotels and country inns and check your worries at the front desk! These properties offer a wonderful combination of outstanding service, warm hospitality and picture-perfect settings.
#1. Domaine Jolivent
Located near Lake Brome, this inn offers you twelve quiet and comfortable rooms and suites. You’ll have access to six kilometres of trails on the site, as well as a private pond and massage therapy services. In the summer, you can enjoy the bistro terrace, Le Mistral.
In winter, the restaurant L’Alizé takes over with its gastronomical menu (deer loin, homemade linguine, Roman-style gnocchi…), you can savour by the fireplace while enjoying the relaxing ambiance here.
#2. Au Loup, Bed & Boutique
Having opened its doors in June 2021 in Waterloo, Au Loup Bed & Boutique promises a unique stay. This century-old home has four cozy and colourful rooms with private bathrooms. The common areas contribute to the friendly atmosphere of the inn. Also, it has a fully equipped kitchen is at your disposal, where you can have breakfast, an aperitif or dinner. If you fall in love with any of the artwork on the walls or the revamped antique furniture occupying the space, they are all available to you for purchasing!
#3. Auberge West Brome
Auberge West Brome offers countryside stays on a magnificent site set in the heart of the region. Different packages are available to meet your every need. Enjoy access to the indoor pool, a Finnish sauna and Jacuzzi, in addition to the treatments offered by Spa West Brome. Please note: you can combine two treatments and pay only $160.
#4. Auberge Knowlton
The oldest hotel in the Eastern Townships, the Auberge Knowlton has over 165 years of history. This inn, which has been in continuous operation since its construction in 1849, offers you to travel back in time as you enjoy all the comforts of a modern hotel.
The 12 recently renovated rooms and the regional cuisine of the restaurant Le Relais will totally charm you. Located in the heart of Knowlton, the inn is the perfect place to settle in and immerse yourself in the life of the town.
Best restaurants in Granby
As a highly excellent gourmet destination, Granby is home to several exceptional restaurants;
- Auguste Restaurant: Auguste is a bistro-type restaurant open for lunch and dinner. It is located right in downtown Sherbrooke. Here, they offer refined dishes, local cuts of meat and tables d’hôte with terroir flavours. All this, set within a rustic-chic decor and a friendly ambiance. You can even see the chefs at work in the restaurant’s open concept kitchen
- Le Hatley restaurant at Manoir Hovey: The cuisine at Le Hatley, reflects the passion for the region’s history, its bounty, and its natural beauty. In summer, dishes are garnished with Quebec aquatic plants such as sea asparagus, sea spinach and fresh sea weeds.
- Chardo – Restaurant and wine bar:It’s on the Shefford Street in the old village of Bromont that you will find this lovely restaurant and wine bar.
- Le Riverain Restaurant: The Ripplecove’s Le Riverain restaurant will charm you with its magnificent view overlooking Lake Massawippi and its innovative terroir flavoured menu. Its elegant decor and its exceptional service make the Riverain the perfect place for a unique and succulent outing. All this within the magical Ayer’s Cliff setting. Bon Appetit!
- Le Cellier du Roi restaurant: Le Cellier du Roi is considered as one of the gastronomical references in the Eastern Townships. Here you are offered a divine cuisine to enjoy in an enchanting setting with a view of the Royal Bromont golf course, and the region’s mountains in the background. It is the place of choice to eat a meal filled with rich flavours in a natural and appeasing environment.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Granby a nice place to live?
To live in Granby is to enjoy an exceptional quality of life: The proximity of services, the availability of employment, the great outdoors, wonderful parks along with a healthy and safe environment for your family.
Where is Granby Located?
Granby is a town in southwestern Quebec, located east of Montreal.
what is the population of Granby?
The population as of Granby is approximately 66,222.
We hope you find this guide on fun things to do in Granby Interesting! If you have suggestions, feel free to leave them in the comments below.