Thompson Rivers University Admission Requirements
To guarantee fulfillment of your wish to study at Thompson Rivers University, you need to meet specific criteria and fill out its application form with your personal information, program choice, education history, and agency information. Ultimately, you must satisfy the Thompson Rivers University admission requirements to improve your chances of admission.
Thompson Rivers University offers admission to both domestic and international students to provide a veritable ground for students to achieve their life’s goals and succeed academically; this Thompson University holds dear as its priority.
Thompson University empowers its students to reach and surpass their goals through either on-campus or online learning options. The institution offers customized student services, hands-on learning opportunities, and a diverse and inclusive learning environment.
About Thompson Rivers University
Thompson Rivers University commonly referred to as “TRU,” is a publicly designated teaching and research university granting undergraduate and graduate degrees alongside vocational training. Its main campus is located in Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada.
It is named after the rivers which converge in Kamloops, the North Thompson, and South Thompson rivers. The institution operates a satellite campus in Williams Lake, British Columbia, and a distance education division called TRU-Open Learning. In addition to several international partnerships through its TRU World division.
Thompson Rivers University offers 140 on-campus programs and nothing less than 60 online or distance programs through its Open Learning division, with trades apprenticeships, vocational certificates and diplomas, bachelor’s and master’s degrees, and law.
Faculties and Departments at Thompson Rivers University
TRU grants degrees, diplomas, certificates, and apprenticeships in 140 on-campus and 60 online programs at both campuses. These programs are offered through its many faculties and schools listed below:
- Faculty of Adventure, Culinary Arts and Tourism
- Arts Faculty
- Education and Social Work Faculty
- Law Faculty
- Science Faculty
- Student Development Faculty
- School of Business and Economics
- Trades and Technology School
- School of Nursing
Thompson Rivers University Rankings
TRU is one of the top colleges in Canada. Several national and international ranking agencies have ranked it at the top. TRU rankings are granted with regards to several ranking criteria, including; employment rate, research excellence, funding and endowment, reputation, etcetera. Below are some of Thompson Rivers University rankings published by varying ranking agencies:
- Ranked as Canada’s No.1 Platinum-ranked sustainable university.
- No. 51 in the world for Political Science degree by QS World University Rankings.
- 46 in Canada by UniRank.
- Ranked No. 1493 in the world by UniRank.
- Winner of the Desire2Learn Awards in the years 2018 and 2020.
Undergraduate Tuition And Fees
Thompson Rivers University tuition fees depend on the program types and student category, international or domestic. TRU also offers financial assistance through its various scholarships and bursaries. Thus, the average tuition fee for degree programs is $18,369 for international students at TRU.
TRU tuition fees depend on programs and course types. However, both graduate and undergraduate programs are offered in an array of different disciplines, which includes; business, criminology, engineering, accounting, etc.
International students undergraduate fees fall between $6,900 to $19,750. Meanwhile, Graduate fees for international students are between $14,000 to $33,630.
Find below the average tuition fees for international students at different levels of study:
|I AM A||TUITION (FULL TIME)||STUDENT FEES||TOTAL PER YEAR|
|Degree, diploma or certificate student||$4,399*||$1,090||$5,489|
|Trades (foundation) student||$412/month||$185/month||$597/month|
|Books and Supplies||$1,000 – $2,000|
|Residence||$5,310 – $8,400|
|Medical and Dental (can opt out if you have comparable coverage)||$248|
|Degree Type||Tuition Fees|
Annual Average Cost of attending Thompson Rivers University
Thompson Rivers University’s other necessary fees comprise books & supplies, accommodation, meal services, and monthly expenses. At TRU, the residence is provided to over 800 students within its campus. Other fees required to be paid by international students are:
- Supplies and Books: $1,700
- Residence: $5,180
- Transportation, Food, and Miscellaneous: $4,835
- Health Fee: $75/ month
Average Annual Tuition Fees: $18,369
Average Accommodation: $7,730
Application Fees: $100
Overview Of Thompson Rivers University Admission Requirements
- TOEFL Requirements: Min. 88
- IELTS Requirements: Min. 6.5
Accepts Direct Application: yes
Accepts Common Application: No
Total Applications: Nil
Undergraduate Admission AT TRU
General Admission Requirements
TRU programs, on a norm, require a British Columbia high school graduation certificate or equivalent.
The equivalent of BC high school graduation, which is accepted that you may have completed, is thus;
- British Columbia Adult Graduation Diploma (Adult Dogwood), or formally the ABE Provincial diploma
- General Education Diploma (GED)
Under some circumstances, certain programs will accept students who do not have high school graduation, usually under mature student status.
International Student Admission Requirements
Students must satisfy the minimum English language proficiency criteria for direct entry into academic programs.
This condition may be met by either supplying an acceptable English language proficiency test score (TOEFL, IELTS, etc.) or scoring a qualifying score on the TRU English Placement Test (EPT). Nevertheless, applicants are strongly advised to complete an acceptable test before arriving to make course selection options; however, it is not mandatory.
English Language Proficiency Requirements
Anyone who does fail to obtain the results for direct entry into academic programs will be placed in an appropriate English language study level as indicated below.
|Direct entry to academic programs||88+ with no section below 20||570+ TWE 4.5+||230+ Essay 4.5+||6.5+ with no bands below 6.0||110+||81+||4.5+ with no component score below 4.0||Overall 70+
No subtest below 60
|Direct entry into Level 5 ESL||80+||550-569 TWE 4.0+||213-229 Essay 4.0+||6.0+ with no band below 5.5||100+||77+||4.0+ with no component score below 4.0||Overall 60+
No subtest below 50
|Direct entry into Level 4 ESL||71+||530-549||197-212||5.5+ with no band below 5.0||92+||74+||4.0+ with no component score below 3.5||Overall 50+
No subtest below 40
|Direct entry into Level 3 ESL||61+||500-529||173-196||5.0+||82+||69+||3.5+||Overall 40+|
Note that a candidate must fulfill or exceed the required level in all areas to be at any specific level. For instance, for TOEFL, direct entry applicants must score overall 88+, with all sections at a minimum of 20.
Therefore, when sub-scores are calculated, an outstanding mark in one area will not make up for a poor mark in another. Therefore, it is recommended that applicants who do not satisfy the requirements for direct entry undergo the TRU placement test to determine their appropriate level in ESAL.
Important Notice: TRU is accepting Duolingo as proof of English Proficiency Requirements, which is applicable to applications received before August 31, 2023.
Japanese English Language Proficiency Test — STEP
- The STEP First Grade will only be considered at TRU for direct entry into academic programs. TRU will also consider STEP Pre-First Grade Level equivalent to TOEFL 500+ for placement purposes.
Common European Framework of Reference for Languages
- TRU will accept CEF C1 and C2 for direct entry into academic programs. The institution will also consider CEF B2 and B2+ equivalent to the IELTS 5.0+ for placement purposes.
- The CAE (Certificate in Advanced English) and CPE (Certificate of Proficiency in English) will be considered at TRU for direct entry into academic programs. Also, the FCE (First Certificate in English) will be considered for the IELTS 5.0+ placement purposes.
Pearson Test of English
- The Pearson Test of English (PTE) will be considered for direct entry into academic programs having an overall test score of 58 or higher, with no communicative skills scores less than 55.
General admission requirements
TRU’s admission requirements vary; however, all TRU programs for academic admission require secondary school completion. In addition, the minimum age of TRU’s students at application must be at least 17 years.
How To Apply
Admission Process for Graduate Admissions
Each program often has specific guidelines for online, domestic, and international students. Below is a step-by-step procedure for application at TRU.
Read through program requirements.
- Ensure to read through all the pages on the program’s site. You must be aware of your requirements and note that each program has different requirements.
- By reading it up, please know your application process on your program’s site. However, almost all applications will be conducted online at educationplannerbc.ca.
- Your open Learning applications can be made through the school portal.
- You may contact gradad[email protected] for questions regarding the application process.
Note: Documents are to be sent separately upon completing the online process.
Send in other documents after the online process.
- Upon submitting your online application through educationplannerbc.ca, you can submit your documents.
- Required documents will include reference letters, transcripts, English language test scores, etc.
- After completing your application, you will be sent an email from Graduate Admissions with further instructions on submitting the necessary documents to complete your application.
Application is complete
- After completing steps 1-3, TRU will contact you about the offer.
See Also: Admission Requirements At ABM College Of Business And Technology
Thompson Rivers University Scholarships
General Undergraduate Entrance Scholarships
To be eligible, you must:
- Satisfy the minimum academic requirement of 80% average based on grades in the best four academic Grade 12 courses, including English Studies 12.
Deadline: March 1 (for scholarships only)
Alvin & Lydia Grunert Entrance Scholarship
Scholarship valued: $30,000 (over four years, renewable)
No. of Recipients: 1
Description: This Entrance Scholarship recognizes documented good leadership and community service in conjunction with a sound academic standing based on secondary school averages in core subjects.
TRU Ambassador’s Entrance Scholarship
Scholarship Value: $23,000 (equates to a four-year degree of tuition & fees)
No. of Recipients: Minimum of 6 awards
Description: The Ambassador’s Entrance Scholarship recognizes documented outstanding leadership and community service accompanied by sound academic achievements based on secondary school averages in core subjects.
TRU Leadership Entrance Scholarship
Scholarship Value: $5,000 each (applied to two semesters of tuition & fees)
No. of Recipients: Minimum of 15 awards.
Description: This Scholarship recognizes documented sound leadership and community service in addition to a solid academic standing as regards your secondary school averages in core subjects.
TRU President’s Entrance Scholarship
Scholarship Value: $2,000 to $4,000 each (applied to two semesters of tuition & fees)
No. of Recipients: Minimum of 20 awards.
Description: TRU President’s Entrance Scholarship recognizes excellence based upon admission averages in the top four Grade 12 academic courses, with academic English; note, however, that the equivalent Grade 11 academic subject will be used in each case where a Grade 12 course is in progress.
TRU Relocation Top-up Scholarship
Scholarship Value: $500
No. of Recipients: 15 awards
Description: These will be granted to entrance scholarship students who live significantly far away from Kamloops and must need to re-locate to attend TRU.
For further inquiries on scholarships at Thompson Rivers University, please visit Thompson Rivers University Scholarships.
In conclusion, Thompson Rivers University admission requirements are extensive, but if you have a robust application and can meet all the needs, your chances of admission are high. Be sure to submit all required documents early to maximize your chance of being accepted.
Finally, remember that many factors contribute to an applicant’s admission decision, so don’t be discouraged if you don’t receive a response immediately – keep applying, and you’ll eventually be successful.