To guarantee fulfillment of your wish to study at Thompson Rivers University, you need to meet certain criteria, as well as to fill out its application form with your personal information, program choice, education history, and agency information. Ultimately, it is vital that you satisfy the Thompson Rivers University admission requirements to improve your chances for admissions.
Thompson Rivers University, offers admission to both domestic and international students in an effort to provide a veritable ground for students to achieve their life’s goal and succeed academically, this Thompson University holds dear as its priority.
Thompson University empowers its students to reach and surpass their goals through either on-campus or online learning options. The institution offers customized student services, hands-on learning opportunities, and a diverse and inclusive learning environment.
Table of Contents
- 1 About Thompson Rivers University
- 2 Faculties and Departments at Thompson Rivers University
- 3 Thompson Rivers University Rankings
- 4 Undergraduate Tuition And Fees
- 5 Annual Average Cost of attending Thompson Rivers University
- 6 Overview Of Thompson Rivers University Admission Requirements
- 7 Undergraduate Admission AT TRU
- 8 International Student Admission Requirements
- 9 How To Apply
- 10 Thompson Rivers University Scholarships
About Thompson Rivers University
Thompson Rivers University, commonly referred to as “TRU” is a public designated teaching and research university granting undergraduate and graduate degrees alongside vocational training. Its main campus is located in Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada.
It is named after the two rivers which converge in Kamloops, the North Thompson and South Thompson rivers. The institution operates a satellite campus in Williams Lake, British Columbia and a distance education division called TRU-Open Learning. In addition to several international partnerships through its TRU World division.
Thompson Rivers University offers 140 on-campus programs and nothing less than 60 online or distance programs through its Open Learning division, with trades apprenticeships, vocational certificates and diplomas, bachelor’s and master’s degrees and law.
Faculties and Departments at Thompson Rivers University
TRU grants degrees, diplomas, certificates, and apprenticeships in 140 on-campus programs and 60 online programs at both of its campuses. These programs are offered through its many faculties and schools listed below:
- Faculty of Adventure, Culinary Arts and Tourism
- Arts Faculty
- Education and Social Work Faculty
- Law Faculty
- Science Faculty
- Student Development Faculty
- School of Business and Economics
- Trades and Technology School
- School of Nursing
Thompson Rivers University Rankings
TRU is one of the top colleges in Canada. It has been ranked at the top by several national and international ranking agencies. TRU rankings are granted with regards to several ranking criteria including; employment rate, research excellence, funding and endowment, reputation, etcetera. Below are some of Thompson Rivers University rankings published by varying ranking agencies:
- Ranked as Canada’s No.1 Platinum-ranked sustainable university.
- No. 51 in the world for Political Science degree by QS World University Rankings.
- 46 in Canada by UniRank.
- Ranked No. 1493 in the world by UniRank.
- Winner of the Desire2Learn Awards in years 2018 and 2020.
Undergraduate Tuition And Fees
Thompson Rivers University tuition fees are dependent on the programs types and student category That is; international or domestic. TRU also offer financial assistance through its various scholarships and bursaries. Thus, at TRU, the average tuition fees for degree programs is $18,369 for international students.
TRU tuition fees depends on programs and courses types. However, both graduate and undergraduate programs are offered in an array of different disciplines which includes; business, criminology, engineering, accounting, etc.
International students undergraduate fees fall between $6,900 to $19,750. Meanwhile, Graduate fees for international students is between $14,000 to $33,630.
Find below the average tuition fees for international students at different levels of study:
|I AM A||TUITION (FULL TIME)||STUDENT FEES||TOTAL PER YEAR|
|Degree, diploma or certificate student||$4,399*||$1,090||$5,489|
|Trades (foundation) student||$412/month||$185/month||$597/month|
|Books and Supplies||$1,000 – $2,000|
|Residence||$5,310 – $8,400|
|Medical and Dental (can opt out if you have comparable coverage)||$248|
|Degree Type||Tuition Fees|
Annual Average Cost of attending Thompson Rivers University
Thompson Rivers University other necessary fees comprises books & supplies, accommodation, meal services, and monthly expenses. At TRU residence is provided to over 800 students within its campus. Other fees required to be paid by international students are:
- Supplies and Books: $1,700
- Residence: $5,180
- Transportation, Food and Miscellaneous: $4,835
- Health Fee: $75/ month
Overview Of Thompson Rivers University Admission Requirements
Total Applications: Nil
Undergraduate Admission AT TRU
General Admission Requirements
TRU programs on a norm require British Columbia high school graduation certificate or its equivalent.
- British Columbia Adult Graduation diploma (Adult Dogwood), or formally the ABE Provincial diploma
- General Education Diploma (GED)
Under some circumstances, certain programs will accept students who do not have high school graduation, this is usually under mature student status.
International Student Admission Requirements
Students are expected to satisfy the minimum English language proficiency criteria for direct entry into academic programs.
This condition may be met by either supplying an acceptable English language proficiency test score (TOEFL, IELTS, etc.) or by scoring a qualifying score on the TRU English Placement Test (EPT). Nevertheless, applicants are strongly advised to complete an acceptable test before arriving to make course selection options, this however, is not mandatory.
English Language Proficiency Requirements
Anyone who does fail to obtain the results for direct entry into academic programs will be placed in an appropriate English language study level as indicated below.
|Direct entry to academic programs||88+ with no section below 20||570+ TWE 4.5+||230+ Essay 4.5+||6.5+ with no bands below 6.0||110+||81+||4.5+ with no component score below 4.0||Overall 70+
No subtest below 60
|Direct entry into Level 5 ESL||80+||550-569 TWE 4.0+||213-229 Essay 4.0+||6.0+ with no band below 5.5||100+||77+||4.0+ with no component score below 4.0||Overall 60+
No subtest below 50
|Direct entry into Level 4 ESL||71+||530-549||197-212||5.5+ with no band below 5.0||92+||74+||4.0+ with no component score below 3.5||Overall 50+
No subtest below 40
|Direct entry into Level 3 ESL||61+||500-529||173-196||5.0+||82+||69+||3.5+||Overall 40+|
Note that a candidate must fulfill or exceed the required level on all areas to be at any specific level. For instance, for TOEFL, direct entry applicants must score an overall of 88+ with all sections at a minimum of 20.
Therefore, when sub-scores are calculated, an outstanding mark in one area will not make up for a poor mark in another. It is recommended that applicants who do not satisfy the requirements for direct entry undergo the TRU placement test to determine their appropriate level in ESAL.
Important Notice: TRU is currently accepting Duolingo as proof of English Proficiency Requirements, applicable to applications received before August 31, 2022.
Japanese English Language Proficiency Test — STEP
- The STEP First Grade will only be considered at TRU for direct entry into academic programs. Nonetheless, TRU will also consider STEP Pre-First Grade Level as equivalent to TOEFL 500+ for placement purposes.
Common European Framework of Reference for Languages
- CEF C1 and C2 for direct entry into academic programs will be accepted by TRU. The institution will also consider CEF B2 and B2+ as equivalent to the IELTS 5.0+ for placement purposes.
- The CAE (Certificate in Advanced English) and CPE (Certificate of Proficiency in English) for direct entry into academic programs will be considered at TRU. Also, the FCE (First Certificate in English) will be considered for the IELTS 5.0+ for placement purposes.
Pearson Test of English
- The Pearson Test of English (PTE) will be considered for direct entry into academic programs having an overall test score of 58 or higher, with no communicative skills scores less than 55.
General admission requirements
TRU’s admission requirements vary, however, secondary school completion is required by all TRU programs for academic admission. The minimum age of TRU’s students at application must be at least 17 years.