Skilled trade jobs are in demand in Canada. This is among the reasons why skilled trade workers get high earnings, and can immigrate to Canada through FSTP. However, this article examines our collection of the top ten (10) highly paid skilled trade jobs in Canada.
Table of Contents
- 1 What are skilled trades in Canada?
- 2 Top 10 highly paid skilled trade jobs in Canada
What are skilled trades in Canada?
Skilled trades in Canada cover several sectors such as agriculture, construction, transportation, manufacturing, etc. Besides, you can find skilled trade jobs under National Occupational Classification (NOC) Skill Level B.
In addition, there are hundreds of skilled trade jobs available to foreign nationals in Canada. You can use also the Express Entry Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP) to immigrate to Canada if you qualify.
Examples of skilled trade jobs in Canada include hairstylists, precision metal fabricators, chefs, millwrights, plumbers, painters, bricklayers, electricians, welders, industrial mechanics and millwrights, transport and truck mechanics, etc.
Moreover, you are mostly required to have completed an apprenticeship or a diploma program from a college.
Skilled trades under Canada’s National Occupational Classification (NOC)
Below are the groupings of skilled trades under NOC.
NOC Major Groups:
- 72, industrial, electrical, and construction trades
- 73, maintenance and equipment operation trades
- 82, supervisors and technical jobs in natural resources, agriculture, and related production
- 92, processing, manufacturing, and utility supervisors and central control operators
NOC Minor Groups:
- 632, chefs and cooks
- 633, butchers and bakers
Top 10 highly paid skilled trade jobs in Canada
Everyone’s wish is to do jobs that offer more financial rewards. Skilled trade jobs in Canada are sought-after by many Canadian employers who are willing to pay higher salaries to eligible workers.
You also need to possess certain skills as stated by the employer or employment agency in Canada.
However, below are the top ten (10) highly paid skilled trade jobs in Canada
- Truck drivers (up to CAD $350,000 yearly)
- Plumbers (up to CAD $200,000 yearly)
- Chefs (up to CAD $156,000 yearly)
- Welders (up to CAD $150,000 yearly)
- Carpenters (up to CAD $120,000 yearly)
- Electricians (up to CAD $110,000 yearly)
- Hairstylists (up to CAD $93,000 yearly)
- Industrial mechanics and millwrights (up to CAD $90,000 yearly)
- Transport and truck mechanics
#1 Truck drivers
Undoubtedly, truck drivers are among the top ten (10) highly paid skilled trade jobs in Canada. You need to have a valid Canadian driver’s license before you can take any driving job in Canada.
Moreover, there are many job opportunities open to truck drivers in Canada, which includes garbage truck driver, delivery driver, truck drivers supervisor, fuel truck operator, water truck operator, etc.
Additionally, the hourly income of truck drivers in Canada is estimated at a range of CAD $20 to CAD $105. Besides, truck drivers can earn up to CAD $350,000 yearly.
Below are some of the establishments that employ truck drivers in Canada.
- Coca-Cola Canada Bottling Limited
- PCL Construction
- Waste Connections
- Via Logistics Inc.
- Bluewater Recycling Association
- Babal lehra trucking ltd.
- Junior Sekhon Trucking Ltd
- Suncor Energy Services
- Shri Guru Arjun Dev Transport Limited
- AYR Motor Express Inc
- Bevcon Construction & Paving Ltd.
- All Rig Towing Service Ltd, etc.
If you are a foreign national with plumbing skills, you can always get jobs involving you to install, repair, and service pipes, drains, fixtures, sewers, water heaters, and more, in Canada.
Besides, plumbers earn an average of $20 Canadian Dollars to $65 Canadian Dollars per hour in Canada. They get many jobs due to their comprehensive range of services.
However, you may even earn a whooping sum of up to $200,000 Canadian Dollars every year.
Below are establishments that hire the services of plumbers in Canada.
- Sullivan Mechanical Ltd
- Eastman Plumbing
- Akal Demolition & Excavating
- Nunavut Excavating
- Abe Cohen Plumbing & Heating Inc.
- Peak Construction Group Ltd
- North America Construction Ltd
- GSP Custom Homes Ltd
- Haven Fire Protection Ltd
- PDG Mécanique
- Intense Mechanical Ltd
- GAD Systems Ltd, and so on
You will be able to earn largely working as a chef/professional cook/head cook in Canada. Besides, chefs earn an average of CAD $15 to CAD $57 per hour working in Canadian restaurants, hotels, and resorts.
Furthermore, chefs in Canada may earn a yearly income of as much as CAD $156,000.
Below are some employers of chefs in Canada.
- Ninkasi Bar & Bistro
- Landsea Camp & Catering Services Ltd.
- Virtuous Pie (Victoria)
- Hilton Hotels & Resorts
- Indo-Canadian Food Services Inc
- Shahi Catering & Restaurant
- RPB Hotels and Resorts
- Natural Spice Multi-Cuisine
- 1001 Nights Shawarma
- Port 701 Marina Side Dining and Lounge
- Lotus Fine Indian Cuisine
- Marshlands Inn
- Promenade Restaurant
- Piri-Piri Grill
- Hester Creek Estate Winery Ltd., etc
The services of welders are often required in Canada in joining several metals together by welding.
Hence, numerous construction companies, shipyards, as well as steel industries employ welders in Canada.
Furthermore, welders earn an average of CAD $20 to CAD $95 per hour. They may also earn up to CAD $150,000 on a yearly basis.
Welders have many employers in Canada as stated below.
- Vancouver Shipyards
- Trackless Vehicles Ltd
- Peace Way Trucking Ltd.
- Charlottetown Metal Products
- Ocean Steel & Construction Ltd.
- MacDougall Steel Erectors Inc.
- Matrix Construction Services Ltd
- BC Equipment Services Inc
- Innova Public Utility Products Inc.
- RAE Engineering and Inspection Ltd.
- Graf Mechanical Ltd.
- Milltech Solutions Ltd, and so on.
The services of carpenters are always required at places where construction is going on. Additionally, working as a carpenter makes you a furniture maker or a person who repairs wooden products.
Simply by making and repairing furniture like desks, chairs, shelves, etc., you will be able to earn high wages ranging from CAD $20 to CAD $65 each hour.
Moreover, plumbers are able to earn a large amount up to CAD $120,000 every year.
Below are businesses or establishments in Canada that hire carpenters.
- PCL Construction
- GSP Custom Homes Ltd
- Rai Star Custom Homes Ltd
- Orchard View Builders Ltd.
- GA Construction Group
- Skona Design Inc.
- Pagnotta Industries Inc.
- Silver Facade Construction Inc.
- Prebilt Structures Ltd
- Northern Tropic Homes Ltd.
- Sea to Sky Siding and Gutter Ltd.
- RT Woodart Ltd.
- La Fabrique Entrepreneur General Inc.
- Ottawa Classic Stairs & Bannisters Inc.
- ICR General Contractors Limited, and so on.
Installing, repairing, as well as maintaining electrical equipment and wiring is quite costly in Canada. Thus, you will be able to earn up to CAD $25 to CAD $75 every hour.
Moreover, electricians earn an average yearly income of CAD $110,000.
Here are some of the employers of electricians in Canada.
- Abby Electric
- Parker Drilling Company
- Wattsource Electrical
- Ultimate Electrical Ltd
- A.D. MacKay Electric
- A.G. Electric Ltd
- Econ Energy Group Ltd.
- PTW Energy Services
- Zee Electrical Ltd
- Baruch Electric Contracting Ltd
- Southern Ontario Railway Ltd.
- Sahjog Sign & Electrical Services
- Professional Electrical and Controls Ltd, among others
You can work in Canada with your hairstyling skills by helping people to cut and beautify their hair in various styles.
As a hairstylist in Canada, you are likely to earn an hourly income ranging from CAD $15 to CAD $70 per hour.
Moreover, you may earn up to $93,000 yearly if you work in any of the leading hair salons in Canada.
The following are some establishments that hire hairstylists in Canada.
- AXIS Hair Salon
- Touch & Shine Beauty Hair Salon
- Best Look Hair & Beauty Salon Ltd.
- SE Hair Salon
- Chaloos Unisex Hair Design
- Bob’s Hair & Beauty Bar Ltd.
- Sonu Hair Cut Ltd.
- Chiquicuts Kids Hair Salon, etc.
#8 Industrial mechanics and millwrights
Working as an industrial mechanic and millwright requires varieties of skills. You mostly need to install, repair, service, as well as uninstall machinery on behalf of manufacturing plants and facilities.
Moreover, industrial mechanics and millwrights have an hourly estimated wage that ranges from CAD $25 to CAD $53 per hour. On a yearly basis, you will be opportune to earn up to $90,000 per year.
Industrial mechanics and millwrights have several employers in Canada, which includes;
- General Motors of Canada Company
- Northeast Machine Works Inc
- Les Industries Associées de l’Acier Ltée
- Ice River Springs Water Co. Inc.
- JPB Fabrication Service
- ATS Automation Tooling Systems Inc.
- Quantum Lifecycle Partners LP
- Richmond Plywood Corporation
- Commercial Spring and Tool Company Limited
- Lamko Tool and Mold Inc.
- APL Machine Tool Ltd.
- Coast Mountain Hydro Services Inc., among others
As one of the top ten (10) highly paid skilled trade jobs in Canada, bricklaying requires your masonry skills in constructing various kinds of building structures using bricks.
Examples of these building structures include homes, offices, churches, etc.
More so, bricklayers in Canada are paid an hourly wage ranging from CAD $20 to CAD $56.
You can apply for bricklaying jobs in any of the following establishments.
- Highbury Stone Inc
- Nordic Shore Construction Inc.
- Millennium Masonry Ltd.
- Modern Styles Home Ltd.
- Brick Warriors Inc
- Martins Masonry
- Faion Landscaping
- Nusens Niche Contracting Services Inc., etc
#10 Transport and truck mechanics
As a transport and truck mechanic, you can work with companies that help logistics and truck owners maintain their vehicle performance.
Besides, transport and truck mechanics run diagnosis, repairs, and services buses and trucks.
In addition, transport and truck mechanics earn an average hourly wage of CAD $20 to CAD $58 in Canada.
The following are some Canadian employers list that hires transport and truck mechanics.
- Kingpin Trailers Ltd.
- Akal Diesel Truck & Trailer Repair LTD.
- R.S. Express Ltd
- Crosco Truck Shop
- Simon Transportation Ltd
- Acme Transport Ltd
- Goodrich Transport Ltd.
- Rob’s Truck Service & Hydraulics Ltd.
- H. A. Mechanical & Welding Ltd., etc