Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal and Calgary are the most famous cities in Canada. In this article, we shall be doing a comparison between these cities for a better understanding of their nature and peculiarity, especially for the traveller, explorer or immigrant who wishes to visit or relocate to Canada as the case may be.
Therefore, to better understand the peculiarities of these cities, comparisons will be made based on the following areas:
- The cost of living
- Popular job sectors
In this article
Cost of Living
It is obvious that many people would be interested in this area. The cost of living is a very important place to begin from, this indicates what it takes for individuals to survive and thrive in the city, it measures the ability or to what degree the city can sustain its citizens conveniently.
I’m sure quite a good number of people would be interested to know which of these cities is the most expensive one and which is the most affordable.
numbeo.com will give you good information in detail of the cost of living for each of these cities in Canada and every other city around the world.
Toronto: Monthly Cost, Rent and Expenses
- The estimated monthly cost for a family of 4 is C$4,534.05 without rent.
- The estimated monthly cost for a single person is C$1,248.87 without rent.
|Apartment (1 bedroom) in City Centre||C$2,132.23||1,850.00 – 2,500.00|
|Apartment (1 bedroom) Outside of Centre||C$1,765.87||1,500.00 – 2,000.00|
|Apartment (3 bedrooms) in City Centre||C$3,471.86||2,900.00 – 5,000.00|
|Apartment (3 bedrooms) Outside of Centre||C$2,708.11||2,100.00 – 3,700.00|
Montreal: Monthly Cost, Rent and Expenses
- A family of four estimated monthly costs will be C$3,936.39 without rent.
- Single individual estimated monthly costs will be C$1,074.60 without rent
|Apartment (1 bedroom) in City Centre||C$1,284.84||995.00 – 1,650.00|
|Apartment (1 bedroom) Outside of Centre||C$838.08||700.00 – 1,200.00|
|Apartment (3 bedrooms) in City Centre||C$2,257.26||1,800.00 – 3,000.00|
|Apartment (3 bedrooms) Outside of Centre||C$1,464.71||1,100.00 – 2,000.00|
Vancouver: Monthly Cost, Rent and Expenses
- The estimated monthly cost for a family of four is C$4,352.32 without rent.
- For a single person monthly estimated cost is C$1,181.52 without rent.
|Apartment (1 bedroom) in City Centre||C$2,055.28||1,800.00 – 2,500.00|
|Apartment (1 bedroom) Outside of Centre||C$1,576.88||1,200.00 – 1,900.00|
|Apartment (3 bedrooms) in City Centre||C$3,706.09||3,000.00 – 5,000.00|
|Apartment (3 bedrooms) Outside of Centre||C$2,855.26||2,400.00 – 3,500.00|
Calgary: Monthly Cost, Rent and Expenses
- A family of 4 monthly estimated costs is C$4,243.61 without rent.
- A single person monthly estimated cost is C$1,193.93 without rent.
|Apartment (1 bedroom) in City Centre||C$1,217.99||1,000.00 – 1,500.00|
|Apartment (1 bedroom) Outside of Centre||C$1,022.84||850.00 – 1,200.00|
|Apartment (3 bedrooms) in City Centre||C$2,148.77||1,750.00 – 3,000.00|
|Apartment (3 bedrooms) Outside of Centre||C$1,625.79||1,400.00 – 2,100.00|
Popular Job Sectors
Job is one very important factor for which people relocate or migrate from one place to the other, as it is the only avenue by which an individuals livelihood is secured.
This brings us to jobs as a source of earning income in order to have a source of sustenance and in addition create a standard of living. Thus, what are the popular job sectors in the four cities?
There are a lot of jobs sectors in these four popular urban cities, which are also the top high ranked cities of Canada; however, this is only a list of some of the key job sectors which drive the economies of these cities.
Popular job sectors in Toronto are as follows:
- Tourism and
- Life sciences
Toronto is the economic seat and hub of Canada, the city contributes about 20% to the GDP of Canada. Therefore, Toronto is a very significant economic city in Canada.
Key sectors in Montreal are:
- Textile Manufacturing
The Province of Vancouver is also another economic hub of Canada, with key industries like
Popular job sectors in Calgary are:
- Air space
- Financial services
- Life sciences
- Toronto is located towards the south of Ontario.
- Montreal on the other hand is only an overnight journey from Toronto and towards the south of Quebec.
- Vancouver sits southwards of British Columbia.
- Calgary also is located in the province of Alberta.
- Toronto is by far the largest city in Canada and by extension the largest city in Ontario as well.
- Meanwhile, Montreal is the second-largest city in Canada, however, the largest city in Quebec.
- The third-largest city in Canada is Vancouver, nevertheless, it is the largest city of the province of British Columbia.
- Also, Calgary is the fourth largest city in Canada, however, the largest city in Alberta.
River or Lakes
- The city of Toronto is enclosed by lake Ontario, Humber, don, and rough rivers.
- Saint Lawrence and Riviera des Prairies rivers are located in Montreal
- Surrounding Vancouver is the English Bay, Burrard inlet, and Fraser river.
- Calgary has bow and elbow rivers.
- Toronto has mostly flatlands.
- Montreal on the other hand is flat and hilly
- Vancouver in the same vein is also flat and hilly.
- Calgary it’s quite hilly, however, not very flat.
- You will definitely love Toronto because of its lovely beaches.
- There are no beaches in Montreal.
- Vancouver definitely has many beautiful beaches.
- Calgary like Montreal has no beaches either.
- If you are a mountain-loving or climbing person, Toronto will disappoint you.
- However, Montreal won’t, as it’s got many beautiful mountains.
- Vancouver and Calgary in addition, do have beautiful mountains too.
All four cities are urban cities, which are nonetheless very rich with natural beauties as well.
- Toronto has a long stretch of lakeshore.
- If you enjoy the French lifestyle and architecture, then you would love it in Montreal.
- Vancouver has been attributed to be supernaturally beautiful and scenic.
- Calgary is a city surrounded by beautiful craggy mountains.
These cities present you with an actual urban lifestyle that you are certain to enjoy and natural beauties that are eye-catchy and awesome.
Weather or climate at large is certainly one of the most crucial options to consider when deciding about the city you want to live in, especially if it’s Canada. Canada is world-famous for its harsh and often extremely cold weather.
Weather in Toronto
- In Toronto, from November to February the temperature is usually very low. The temperature here can sometimes fall even to minus 20 degrees Celsius.
- In the month of July, the temperature can go up as high as 35 or 36 degrees Celsius.
Weather in Montreal
- The weather in Montreal is quite harsher compared to Toronto, this is because in winters, in February the temperature can go down to around minus degrees Celsius marks.
- While in summers, especially in May, it can be up to 37 degrees Celsius high. It experiences such a huge fluctuation in temperature within a couple of months.
Weather in Vancouver
- The best temperature amongst the four cities is probably that of Vancouver, especially during winters. However, the normal temperature in Vancouver is about zero degrees or sometimes, – 1 to – 2 degrees Celsius.
- The general temperature of Vancouver in summers is between 24 – 26 degrees Celsius.
- In addition, the maximum temperature is not up to 30 degrees. Thus, Vancouver boasts such lovely weather, particularly in summers.
Weather in Calgary
- Alberta in which province Calgary is located; is famous for its cold weather. It can get brutally cold in the months of January and February.
- It can be as low as – 32 degrees in the month of January.
- Also, beginning from starting October to March, it can be super cold in Calgary.
- However, summers present some really good weather.
A very good public transportation infrastructure is very important for a city. This is because when a city has good transportation infrastructure the people would prefer to use public transport rather than personal cars or other vehicular means of transport.
Here, in this regard, all four cities have really great public transportation infrastructure. Each has trains, which can take you to and from the cities and into other cities in Canada. In addition, they have local buses.
These four cities have real-time updates on apple maps and google maps.
- There is an old metro service in Toronto, however, this is the lifeline of Toronto.
- A sky train which is a very automated service is located in Vancouver.
- In Montreal, there are metros as well.
- Calgary have a C train which is also a metro service
- There is a really good streetcar system in Toronto, this covers almost every part of Toronto and it’s really fun to travel in.
- There are no streetcars in Vancouver and Montreal.
- The C trains or metros in Calgary also serves as a streetcar, this goes underground and also on the streets as well.
- Toronto has ferries, which can take you from downtown Toronto to Toronto Islands.
- Similarly, there is a sea bus in Vancouver, which can take you from the coastal Vancouver areas to several islands in Vancouver.
- Montreal also has ferries for navigating across its rivers.
- Calgary does not have any water transport.
- According to ranking, Montreal is the best city amongst the four for study. The number one university city in Canada in Montreal, which is located in Quebec.
- This means that the primary language in the province is French, Nevertheless, there are a number of English speaking schools in Montreal, this includes one of the top-ranked universities in the world, “The McGill University.”
- Followed by Vancouver in second position and Toronto in the third position.
- According to Mercer’s annual Cost of Living Survey and the 27th annual survey, Vancouver has been dubbed the most expensive place to live in Canada, the city has risen one spot to 93rd place in the world and consequently is the most expensive city in Canada to live in.