Are you looking to visit Turkmenistan? If yes, you should know that Turkmenistan visa requirements are pretty strict. In addition, the country has recently introduced new rules regarding visas for foreign citizens.
Turkmenistan is a Central Asian republic located between Afghanistan and Uzbekistan. This landlocked nation borders China to the north, Iran to the east, Azerbaijan to the south, Russia to the west, and Uzbekistan to the northwest.
Turkmenistan has some of the most burdensome visa rules in the world. Foreigners who want to enter the country must obtain a visa before traveling. This is because the government wants to prevent illegal migration from other countries. Before you apply for these visas, learn about the different requirements for the type of visa you’re using in this article.
In this article
- What is Turkmenistan Visa?
- Turkmenistan Visa Policy
- Who Needs a Visa to visit Turkmenistan?
- Types of Turkmenistan Visas
- Requirements for Turkmenistan Visa
- Turkmenistan Business Visa Requirements:
- Work Visa Requirements for Turkmenistan:
- Turkmenistan Study Visa Requirements:
- Personal Visa Requirements:
- Family Visa Requirements:
- How Do I Obtain a Turkmen Visa?
- Following receipt of the Turkmen Letter of Invitation
- How Much Are Turkmen Visa Fees?
- How Long Does it Take to Get a Turkmen Visa?
- What is the length of a Turkmen visa?
- Frequently Asked Questions
What is Turkmenistan Visa?
Turkmenistan visas allow you to enter, exit, and stay in Turkmenistan for a set period. You can also work and study in Turkmenistan with this visa.
To apply for a Turkmenistan visa, you must have a passport valid for at least six months from the date of travel. Two passport-sized photographs and a completed application form are also required.
Turkmenistan Visa Policy
Turkmenistan has a visa policy that requires all visitors to apply for a visa ahead of time. Visas come in various forms, including business, tourist, and student visas. Each type of visa has different requirements, but all require an application fee and proof of travel insurance. Visitors who do not obtain a visa ahead of time may be denied entry into Turkmenistan.
Who Needs a Visa to visit Turkmenistan?
Visitors to Turkmenistan must obtain a visa before entering the country. Visitors from certain countries can obtain a visa on arrival, but most must apply for a visa ahead of time. In any case, the following countries are visa-exempt:
Holders of service or diplomatic passports from the following countries:
- The Czech Republic
- South Korea
- UAE (United Arab Emirates)
Holders of diplomatic passports issued by the following countries:
Types of Turkmenistan Visas
Generally, Turkmenistan visas come in various forms, each with its requirements and restrictions. Of course, the most common type of visa is the tourist visa, which allows visitors to stay in Turkmenistan for up to 30 days. The following are the main types of Turkmen visas:
- Turkmenistan Tourist Visa. To travel to Turkmenistan as a tourist, you must arrange a tour through a licensed travel agency.
- Turkmenistan Transit Visa. When traveling to another country requires passing through Turkmenistan. The only kind of visa that can be acquired without a sponsor is this one.
- Turkmenistan Business Visa. For brief business trips.
- Turkmenistan Work Visa. For foreign nationals who have worked for a Turkmen company. The organization serves as a sponsor.
- Turkmenistan Private/Personal Visa. For visitors who are not Turkmen nationals or residents.
- Turkmenistan Family Visa. For the family members of foreign nationals on work visas in Turkmenistan.
- Turkmenistan Student Visa. For international students studying in Turkmenistan.
Requirements for Turkmenistan Visa
Turkmenistan, a Central Asian country, has several visa requirements for visitors. All visitors must have a passport, and you must obtain the visas before arrival. Some countries’ citizens can obtain a visa on arrival, while others must apply in advance. The following documents are required for a Turkmen visa:
- Visa Application Form for Turkmenistan (3 copies). The application form can be downloaded from the Turkmen Migration website.
- Your travel itinerary.
- A copy of your passport and identification.
- Cover letter outlining the purpose of your trip.
- A recent passport-size photograph.
- Your sponsor obtained a letter of permission for you to travel.
Turkmenistan Business Visa Requirements:
- Request letter from inviting company or government agency/ministry
- Documents demonstrating the primary operation of the inviting company.
Work Visa Requirements for Turkmenistan:
- Request a letter from the sponsoring organization or government agency/ministry.
- Documents demonstrating the primary operation of the inviting company.
- Documents demonstrating the company’s willingness to sponsor you.
- A copy of your employment contract.
- Your medical certificate.
- A list of all the employees in the company.
- Translation and sealing of your qualifications.
Turkmenistan Study Visa Requirements:
- A written request from Turkmenistan’s Educational Offices.
Personal Visa Requirements:
- Passport photocopy of the sponsor
- a copy of a document demonstrating your relationship
- Evidence that your sponsor has the right to live in Turkmenistan.
Family Visa Requirements:
- Obtain a copy of your sponsor’s passport.
- a photocopy of your sponsor’s visa
- Documents proving your family ties
Note: Please remember that this is not an exhaustive list of requirements. Sometimes, your sponsor and the Embassy where you will apply will inform you of the conditions for the LOI and visa application based on your specific circumstances.
How Do I Obtain a Turkmen Visa?
Turkmenistan is a country in Central Asia. Turkmenistan’s government requires all visitors to obtain visas before entering the country.
You can apply for a Turkmen visa at an Embassy or Consulate; however, you must first obtain a Letter of Invitation (LOI) from the Turkmen State Migration Service.
Thus, you must have a sponsor in Turkmenistan who can obtain the letter of intent on your behalf. Your patron could be:
- A travel agency.
- An individual is already residing in Turkmenistan.
- A Turkmen organization or company.
- An educational institution.
So, if you are only traveling for tourism, your tour agency will handle a large portion of your visa application. They will have all the relevant documentation and requirements for the invitation letter.
A Letter of Invitation application can take up to 20 working days, or nearly a month. However, once you have the Letter of Invitation, applying for a visa becomes considerably more accessible, as the LOI is the most significant aspect of the visa application.
Following receipt of the Turkmen Letter of Invitation
You can apply for a visa at the nearest Turkmen Embassy or Consulate once you have received the Letter of Invitation. Turkmen diplomatic representation offices can be found here.
- Inquire with the Embassy/Consulate about the application process. Some offices may accept applications by mail or online.
- The Letter of Invitation, your passport, and any other required documents must be submitted.
- Pay your visa fee.
- Allow time for the visa to be processed.
If your country does not have a Turkmen representation, you can apply for a Visa on Arrival at Ashgabat’s airport or land borders.
How Much Are Turkmen Visa Fees?
The cost of a Turkmen visa varies depending on the type of visa and the applicant’s nationality. Turkmen visas are priced as follows:
- USD 20 for a 10-day single-entry visa.
- USD 30 for a 20-day single-entry visa.
- USD 40 for a one-month single-entry visa.
- For stays of more than one month, the monthly fee is USD 30. (single-entry)
- USD 60 for a one-month multiple-entry visa.
- Long-term stays cost USD 40 per month (multiple-entry)
- USD 20 for a single-entry 5-day transit visa.
- USD 40 for a 5-day transit visa with two entries.
You must also pay a processing fee in addition to the visa fee for Turkmenistan. This varies depending on the country.
How Long Does it Take to Get a Turkmen Visa?
A Turkmenistan visa takes ten days to process from the time the Embassy receives your completed application. However, the Turkmen State Migration Service may take up to one month to send you a Letter of Invitation.
As a result, if you plan to visit Turkmenistan, you should contact a travel agency and plan your trip well in advance.
Because there is no LOI for a Turkmen Transit Visa, your visa may take several weeks to process.
What is the length of a Turkmen visa?
The length of a Turkmenistan visa is determined by the reason for your visit, the length of your tour, and your nationality. They can be issued for single, double, or multiple entries and have a validity period of 10 days to one year.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I get a visa for Turkmenistan?
The best way to proceed is to contact the Turkmen Embassy or consulate in your home country and inquire about the process. Please provide specific information about your travel plans and reasons for visiting Turkmenistan. The Embassy may also request additional documentation, such as a letter of invitation from a Turkmen host.
What requirements are needed for a visa?
You will need to meet a few requirements to obtain a visa. To begin, you must have a valid passport. Second, you must have a sponsor, who can be a family member, employer, or educational institution. Finally, proof of financial stability, such as a bank statement or income tax return, will be required.
Who can enter Turkmenistan?
Turkmenistan is a country in Central Asia. Kazakhstan borders the country to the northwest, Uzbekistan to the north and east, Afghanistan to the southeast, and Iran to the south and southwest.
How do I get a Turkmenistan invitation letter?
There are several ways to obtain a Turkmen invitation letter. First, you can contact either a travel agency specializing in Turkmenistan travel or the Turkmen Embassy directly. You may also be able to locate someone who has previously visited Turkmenistan and is willing to provide you with an invitation letter.
To summarize, Turkmen visa requirements are not overly complex. You should have no trouble obtaining a visa if you have the necessary documentation and demonstrate that you are a responsible traveler. So, whether you are visiting Turkmenistan for business or pleasure, do your research and apply for your visa well in advance.