The United Arab Emirates is a Dream destination for many people across the world. The country offers a luxurious lifestyle, tax-free salaries, and fantastic work opportunities to foreigners with a UAE Work Visa.
Interestingly, the country has a rapidly growing economy and needs skilled workers in many industries. However, you should note that the UAE is an Islamic country with some cultural differences that need to be respected while in the country.
In addition, there are eligibility criteria and requirements you must meet to secure a UAE work visa in the country. So relax and read through this guide to grab all that will help you get the work visa without hassle.
About the United Arab Emirates (UAE)
The United Arab Emirates, a country located in the southeastern region of the Arabian Peninsula, is an impressively modern and wealthy country. It comprised seven emirates, or states, with Abu Dhabi as the largest and most populous emirate, followed by Dubai, Sharjah, Ajman, Umm Al Quwain, Ras Al Khaimah, and Fujairah.
The UAE has the seventh largest economy in the world and one of the most diversified economies. The UAE is a major tourist destination and home to a large number of expatriates. It is also a major tourist destination and a hub for trades. Its beaches and desert landscapes attract visitors from all over the globe for tourist activities.
So with your UAE work visa, you will promote from imagination to a real-time beneficiary of all the country has to offer.
What is UAE work visa?
It is a legal document that enables visitors to work and reside in the country. It is also a type of residence visa and is valid for up to three years. Unlike other types of UAE visas you can apply for in the embassy, the work visa application starts when you arrive in the country. The General Directorate of Residency and Foreigners Affairs (GDRFA) in UAE is the agency issuing work visas to foreigners in the country.
Meanwhile, a UAE work permit allows you to visit the country for up to thirty days for your employer to process your UAE work visa.
In the meantime, let’s take you through the UAE working policies before discussing work permits and visa application processes.
UAE working policies
There are rules and regulations employers and employees must adhere to enjoy the favorable working policies of the UAE. The rules are:
- Employees must be at least eighteen years
- Your employer must have a valid and genuine. UAE license
- You should ensure your skills are related to the company that employs you.
- You can get a job in UAE even above sixty years
- You should not engage in any jobs outside if the temperature is above forty-four degrees Celsius
- You are to bargain on wages or salaries with your employer because the country has no minimum wage
- You can work for eight hours a day or six days a week except you are an essential worker
In addition, the Ministry of Human Resources and Emiratisation (MoHRE) categorize foreign workers into three levels.
- Level one employees must possess a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in a related job role.
- Level two employees should have a diploma certificate from recognized institutions.
- Level three employees are to obtain a high school certificate.
UAE Work permits application steps
To apply for a work permit, your UAE employer should assist you with the requirements to get it. The application procedures are:
- The employer should visit the official website of the Ministry of labor Tas’Heel to fill out the application form and print it out.
- The employer proceeds to pay the work permit application fee.
- Attach all the required documents to the application form and submit it
- Ministry of Human Resources and Emiratisation (MoHRE) will review the application and process if everything is in order.
- The next thing is for the Labour Ministry to mail the work permit to your employer’s email address for download.
- Finally, your employer will mail you the electronic work permit so that you can print it. You should leave for the United Arab emirate to apply for your UAE work visa as soon as possible.
Application fee for UAE work permit
The employer in UAE pays the application fee for the work permit application fee. The amount to pay depends on the level the foreign worker belongs to; find below the fees accordingly.
- The initial work permit request fee for all levels is 200 Arab Emirates Dirham (AED)
- Approval fee for
- Level one foreign workers are 300 AED.
- Level two
- Category A is 600 AED
- Category B is 1500 AED
- Category C is 2000 AED
Level three is for foreign workers above the age of sixty-five years, and the application fee is 5000 AED.
- Level two foreign workers are subdivided into categories concerning several skilled and unskilled workers the employer has.
- It takes up to five working days for the Ministry of Human Resources and Emiratisation (MoHRE) to process your work permits.
- You can extend the work permit through your employer for another thirty days before it expires. You and your employer have this period to make all necessary moves to secure the UAE work visa and the Emirates ID, and your Labour Card.
Documents required for a UAE work visa
Now that you have all it takes to obtain a work permit in the UAE, let’s discuss the work visa.
You should take along with you the documents below and other necessary ones to apply for a UAE work visa.
- A genuine traveling passport and its photocopy should be valid for a minimum of six months.
- A recent passport photograph with UAE recommended specifications.
- An employment letter from a licensed UAE company or organization
- A medical certificate of fitness from government-approved health facilities in the. UAE
- Original and copies of your academic credentials. These documents must be certified by the UAE mission and the ministry of foreign affairs in your country.
More so, your employer will also provide the required documents for employers, like a license, Emirate identity card, and others.
How to apply for a UAE work visa
Once you arrive in the United Arab Emirates, your employer will begin the process of your residency visa for work purposes. The procedures are for your employer to the following:
- Log in to the official website of the General Directorate of Residency and Foreigners Affairs in the emirate to create an account.
- Select the service. Required in the case of a work visa application
- Fill out the application form correctly.
- Upload all the required documents
- Pay the application fee.
- Submit the work visa application
The General Directorate of Residency and Foreigners Affairs will affix a UAE work visa on your passport if your application is successful. You will receive an Emirates Identity number valid for the same duration as the work visa. Also, Labour Card will be issued to show that you are permitted to work in the UAE.
UAE work visa application fee
You or your employer will pay the following fee to have your work visa considered for processing and approval.
- Application fee 1200 AED
- The urgent service fee is AED 100
- Innovation fee AED 10
- The printing fee is AED 100 (in case of submission through (ZAJEL Courier Center)
Find below the General Directorate of Residency and Foreigners Affairs in each emirate of the UAE.
- Abu Dhabi
- Al Khaimah
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can I renew my UAE work visa?
Yes, your employer can apply for a renewal of your work visa through the GDRFA in your emirate. Note that the renewal should be done a few days before it expires.
How do I need to survive monthly in the UAE?
The amount you need depends on your lifestyle and location in the country. Nevertheless, you budget a minimum of 4000 AED to cover your accommodation, feeding, and other utilities.
What are the best places to live in the UAE?
There are many great places to live in the UAE, depending on your preferences; if you care for a bustling, cosmopolitan city, Dubai is the best place for you. Abu Dhabi is also a great option, offering a more relaxed pace of life while still providing plenty of amenities and entertainment. If you are searching for something even more laid-back, Al Ain is a perfect choice for you. Whichever city you choose, you will have a great experience living in the UAE!
What are the high-paying jobs in the UAE?
There are several high-paying jobs in the UAE, including in the oil and gas industry, banking and finance, and real estate. Salaries in these sectors can be very high, often exceeding $100,000 per year. There is also a growing demand for highly skilled professionals in the healthcare and IT sectors.
What is the cheapest means of transportation in the UAE?
There are a few options for cheap transportation in the UAE. The most popular is the bus, which costs around 1-2 AED per ride. There are also taxis, which are a bit more expensive but still relatively affordable. For longer distances, you can take the train or fly on one of the many budget airlines in the country.
In conclusion, the UAE work visa is a perfect way to live and work in the United Arab Emirates. The requirements are not too difficult to meet, and the documentation is relatively simple. The work visa is valid for two years and can be renewed for additional two years.