Are you an international student planning to study in one of Canadian provinces or territories? Learn about top universities and colleges in Yukon territory. Yukon has an estimated population of 43,000 people as at 2021.
Yukon university, until it formal establishment in the year 2020 was known to be Yukon Vocational and Technical Training Centre, it is currently the only university available in the Yukon territory of the north.
The most interesting aspect is that university has it twelve (12) campuses spread across the territory with the main campus situated in the Yukon capital, Whitehorse.
Furthermore, Yukon university is ranked 110th in the country, 1981th position in the North America and 7495 position in the world according Web metrics.
Yukon University is a founding member of the University of the Arctic, “a cooperative network of universities, colleges, research institutes and other organizations concerned with education and research in and about the North.
Also, the university has more of international students mostly from Asian continent (India and Japan) with an average of about 150 international students on yearly enrolment.
In this article
- Yukon University Governance
- Yukon Education Program of Studies
- Yukon University and College Programs
- Open Studies:
- Continuous studies:
- Trade courses:
- Professional and personal development courses:
- Tuition fee At Universities and Colleges in Yukon
- Other required fees
- Admission Requirements At Yukon University
- Admission Process At Universities and Colleges in Yukon
Yukon University Governance
The board of governors of Yukon university are responsible for managing and formulating policies for the smooth running of the university and they are empowered by the University act.
The board of governors include Chancellor, President/vice chancellor, Board Chair members from the university administration, faculty representatives, public representative, First nation Representative, Senate Representatives, Rural communities representatives and students Representatives.
Yukon Education Program of Studies
The Yukon Native Teacher Education Program (YNTEP) is part of the education curriculum which is offered by University of Reginald in collaboration with University of Yukon.
The programs offer the students the opportunities to take courses in Northern Studies, Native Language, and Cross-Cultural Education Methods, as well as other Education and Arts courses. It is more like practical classes with experienced teachers.
Yukon University and College Programs
The Yukon university values the mental stability of the students, convenience and flexibility, this made the university to have different learning opportunities like open studies, continuous studies, distance learning and international which are all embedded in their degree, diploma, Certificate, Notice of completion and graduate programs.
This offer you the opportunity to take credit courses without been enrolled into the main program of the university.
The areas in which you can take the courses include professional development, upgrading post-secondary qualifications and general interest. The open studies is available to all students, it has three terms which are summer, fall and winter.
The university offer continuous studies in the following courses:
- Accounting and finance
- Conflict resolution
- Customized learning solutions Ed2Go – online
- Learning First aid Food safe Human resources.
- Industrial safety training
- Micro learning workshops
- Older Workers Program.
- Personal interest and enrichment Professional development
- Project management
- Skillful Management
- Seminars Trades
- Non-credit Water and Wastewater Operator
The courses are offered across the different campuses in the territory so you don’t need to be in the white horse campus but in the community where your is been taken.
These are the trade courses offered by Yukon university below:
- Core Competencies for First Line Supervisors
- Driller’s Helper
- Electrical, Environmental Monitoring Certificate.
- Heavy Equipment Technician
- Oil Burner Mechanic
- Pipe Trades (Plumbing and Gas Fitting)
- Underground Mining and Introduction to Surface Mining Operations/Heavy Equipment
- Operations are not available for application
Professional and personal development courses:
- Decision Making for Climate Change
- First Nations Governance-Building Workshops.
- First Nations Leadership Training
- Northern Institute of Social Justice
Tuition fee At Universities and Colleges in Yukon
The Yukon University tuition fees ranges from between $6,000 and $14,400 depending on the course and nature of program you are applying for or course you are being offered.
The tuition is non-refundable unless your study permit application is rejected by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)
However, in the case of rejection of admission, You must provide the University with a copy of the letter of rejection from IRCC, within three months of the date of receipt, to enable the university process and refund your tuition deposit.
The refund will be processed within six to eight weeks after International Office receives all required information.
The final amount paid to you will be reduced by a $300 processing fee, and any other applicable charges such as courier fees or bank processing charges. It is very important to note, Tuition fees are not transferrable to other institutions.
In addition, your accommodation fee is divided into different categories as shown below:
- Campus housing range between $2,100.00 – $5,800.00 per term
- Campus housing damage deposit ranges between $250.00 -$900.00.
- Campus housing application fee is $30.00 and it non-refundable.
- Homestay (includes meals) is $800.00 monthly.
- Homestay deposit is $800.00.
- Homestay application fee is $200.00 and it non refundable.
Other required fees
- Technology fee $105.00 per semester
- Student Union fee $55.00 per semester
- Activity fee $31.00 per semester
- Health insurance $565 Annual Fee
- Accuplacer $15.00
Admission Requirements At Yukon University
The Yukon University has the following admission requirements for her prospective students.
- The applicant must be either 19 years of age or have graduated from high school in his or her home country.
- If you are a High school graduate you will be required to submit high school graduation certificate, translated into English.
- An official evaluated transcript by an agency such as International Credential Evaluation Service (ICES) in British Columbia or International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS) in Alberta to confirm the program admission requirements.
- English Language Proficiency Requirements for the different programs are as follow:
Bachelor’s Degree programs: IELTS 6.0 (in Academic Testing. No lower than 6.0 in each section) or iBT TOEFL – 79. PTE Academic 46 (no lower than 46 in each section).
Diploma and Certificate programs: IELTS 6.0 (in Academic Testing. No lower than 5.5 in each section) or iBT TOEFL – 79 PTE Academic 46 (no lower than 36 in each section)
Culinary Arts, Office Administration and Trades programs: IELTS 5.0 (in Academic Testing. No lower than 5.0 in each section) or iBT TOEFL – 45 PTE Academic 29 (no lower than 29 in each section).
- IELTS full meaning is International English Language Testing System.
- TOEFL full meaning is Test Of English as a Foreign Language.
- PTE full meaning is Pearson Test of English.
These English Language Proficiency test are international based tests to be registered online and written in their accredited centers globally as major criteria for applying to study outside the shores of your country.
Admission Process At Universities and Colleges in Yukon
If you are wondering on how to apply to study in the Yukon university then worry no more as this article will simplify the procedure for your application process. The procedures are as follow:
1. Apply online: If you are applying as an international student , you will be required to log into their official portal https://www.yukonu.ca/international/future-students/apply to fill in all necessary details or information.
2. Submit transcripts: You will be required to submit your transcripts through mail or email directly from your previous school to the address or email address below.
3. Admissions Office
500 University Drive, PO Box 2799
Whitehorse YTY1A 5K4
email address [email protected]
4. Accommodation: If you are requesting accommodation through Yukon University you will , email your completed Homestay application to [email protected] or apply for Campus Housing.
5. Notice of acceptance: This is an official communication you will receive from the school after the review of your submitted documents and you are eligible for admission, this could take up to four weeks.
6. Receive Letter of Eligibility (If you are applying for academic/ career programs).
7. Pay Tuition Deposit (If you are applying for academic/ career programs).
8. Apply for student visa
10. Receive confirmation for the accommodation of your choice.
11. Proceed to book your flight for departure.
Visit the Yukon University and proceed with other registration procedures.
What is Yukon University known for?
Yukon University is known for academics, vocational training and trades programs typically
found in Canadian colleges.
Is Yukon university privately owned?
No, the University is a publicly-funded institution.
is there light in Yukon?
Yukon enjoys 24 hours of daylight during summer solstice and 6 hours during winter solstice.
Is there any financial award offered in Yukon university?
Yes, financial rewards are available for both Canadians and international students.
Is there airport in Yukon?
Yes, In total there are 5 airports in Yukon.