The University of British Columbia scholarships are detailed in this article for those wanting to study in Canada using fully funded scholarship offers.
Founded in 1908, the University of British Columbia (UBC) is one of the top 40 universities in the world. UBC has two campuses, which include Vancouver Campus and Okanagan Campus.
If you’re an international student at the University of British Columbia Canada, you can also take advantage of their co-op programs and undergraduate research to enhance your potentials.
As soon as UBC presents you with an offer of admission, you’ll become automatically eligible for scholarships.
More so, UBC is widely known as the oldest university in the province of British Columbia. Their Vancouver Campus is nearby to Downtown Vancouver and has over 44,000 undergraduate students. It also has close to 10,000 graduate students.
Furthermore, the University of British Columbia Okanagan Campus has over 9,120 students within Okanagan – Kelowna, throughout Canada, as well as in 99 foreign countries.
Besides, UBC is a public research Designated Learning Institution that offers admissions of vast programs to international students from different nations of the world.
The University of British Columbia tuition fees for international students are quite higher than the payment required of their local students.
Due to this, you might need a scholarship as a means of financial support.
Table of Contents
- 1 University of British Columbia ranking
- 2 University of British Columbia programs
- 3 University of British Columbia Scholarships for International Students
- 4 Awards for UBC graduate and postdoctoral students
University of British Columbia ranking
As stated by US News, The University of British Columbia is ranked No. 31 in Best Global Universities.
With regards to other reputable sources, UBC is ranked No. 2 among the top three universities in Canada.
University of British Columbia programs
UBC has up to 41 undergraduate degrees on its 2 campuses. Their academic programs include;
- Applied Animal Biology
- Art History
- Art History and Visual Culture
- Asian Area Studies
- Asian Language and Culture
- Bachelor + Master of Management Dual Degree
- Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- Chemical Engineering
- Chemical and Biological Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Cognitive Systems (BA)
- Cognitive Systems (BSc)
- Computer Science (BA)
- Creative Writing
- Cultural Studies
- Education: Indigenous Teacher Education Program (NITEP)
- Education: West Kootenay Teacher Education Program (WKTEP)
- Electrical Engineering
- Engineering Physics
- Environmental Chemistry
- Food and Resource Economics
- Freshwater Science
- Gender and Women’s Studies
- Geographical Sciences
- Indigenous Studies
- Integrated Engineering
- Kinesiology: Multidisciplinary Science
- Kinesiology: Social and Behavioural Sciences
- Manufacturing Engineering
- Materials Engineering
- Mathematical Sciences
- Mathematics (BA)
- Mathematics (BSc)
- Microbiology and Immunology
- Mining Engineering
- Music: General Studies
- Nutritional Sciences
- Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Philosophy, and so on.
University of British Columbia Scholarships for International Students
On a yearly basis, the University of British Columbia sets aside more than $30 million to support international students from 150+ countries of the world.
Thus, the funding covers awards, scholarships, and other financial assistance for the benefits of UBC international students.
Moreover, the University of British Columbia avails numerous in-program scholarships, which range in the financial values of the awards.
Additionally, University of British Columbia scholarships are awarded to students on the basis of merit, which implies that they are merit-based.
There are various scholarships available for international students at The University of British Columbia which are.
Karen McKellin International Leader of Tomorrow Award
As an international undergraduate student at UBC, this award acknowledges your top-notch academic performance, leadership skills, as well as your involvement in community service and student affairs.
Donald A. Wehrung International Student Award
This award is offered to notable international undergraduate students from penurious or war-ridden places. However, before you can be acknowledged with this award, you will be examined if you were successful in your studies during the trying times.
Vantage One Excellence Award
Vantage One Excellence Award is a product of UBC Vantage College for international students who have remarkable academic performance but failed to pass the English language admission standard.
Additionally, Vantage One Excellence Award for international students comes in different amounts. Hence, if you’re being offered this award, you’ll be provided with funds that cover the full cost of your program, including your allowances.
Awards for UBC graduate and postdoctoral students
These awards have a yearly value of $15,000. Here are some University of British Columbia awards that are available to students in their graduate and postdoctoral studies.
- Elizabeth Henry Scholarship for Communities and Environmental Health
- Flaherty Research Scholarship
- Canada Graduate Scholarship Michael Smith Foreign Study Supplement
- Spring Graduate Awards Competition Applicants
- Rick Hansen Man In Motion Fellowship Part of Spring Graduate Awards Competition
- Mary B. Jordan YVR Scholarship for Women in Business
- Robert Bertram Doctoral Research Awards
- Vancouver Korean-Canadian Scholarship Foundation Scholarship (VKCSF)
- Douglas McRorie Memorial Scholarship
- Kappa Kappa Gamma Foundation of Canada Scholarship for Canadian Women
- Dan David Prize Scholarship
- EduCanada Study in Canada Scholarships
- Killam Doctoral Scholarships
- Canada Graduate Scholarships Doctoral (CGS D) Program
- Canada Graduate Scholarships Master’s (CGS M) Program
- Mackenzie King Memorial Scholarships
- Scholarships for Exchange Students
- China Scholarship Council Doctoral Scholarships
- Linda Michaluk Scholarship, etc.
UBC International Tuition Award
At the University of British Columbia, international graduate students like you are automatically considered for an award without any prior application.
Furthermore, UBC international tuition awards are only offered to international students who are undergoing a Master’s or Doctoral degree in UBC.
If you’re an international graduate student in UBC, you can receive up to $3,200 yearly if eligible.
Besides, International Tuition Award is usually partly paid on 3 different occasions. The first installment will be paid at the beginning of each term.
You’ll receive September and January installments by the end of each year’s August, while the May installment will be paid nearly to the end of each year’s April.
Moreover, you need to be registered as a full-time student in a research-oriented program.
Eligibility requirements for UBC International Tuition Awards
You are required to satisfy certain conditions before you can qualify for UBC International Tuition Award. Such conditions include;
- At first, you should be registered to a full-time graduate program that is eligible for an international tuition award
- Secondly, if you’ve previously received external tuition funding from any agency whatsoever, you’ll be considered ineligible if the funding is equivalent to or more than the international tuition award.
On the other hand, if you have external tuition funding with a lower value to UBC’s international tuition award, you’ll be considered eligible but will be offered the award with lesser value to the amount of the external funding.
- Ultimately, you must be charged international tuition fees. You’re also allowed to review your tuition assessment by signing in to UBC Student Service Centre.
Application procedures for UBC International Tuition Awards
Here are your responsibilities in securing the University of British Columbia’s International Tuition Awards.
- Through the Student Service Centre, you must confirm that you’re eligible for UBC international scholarships
- There is no process involved in applying for UBC International Tuition Awards. If you’re offered the award, you can verify it by signing in to UBC Student Service Centre.
- If you believe that you were supposed to be assigned the International Tuition Award by the beginning of the term, you can reach out to your faculty
More so, your email should contain your student number if you choose to contact the faculty via email
- If you’re a Canadian permanent resident who is enrolled at UBC, you need to provide a copy of your Record of Landing to the registrar’s office.
International Major Entrance Scholarship (IMES)
IMES is assigned to outstanding international students who are entering UBC for an undergraduate program. You’ll be awarded an IMES after entering your first year at UBC. It is renewable for a maximum of 3 years.
Moreover, IMES are awarded annually to international students on the basis of the available funds
Eligibility requirements for IMES
Before an IMES can be awarded to you, you are expected to meet some criteria such as;
- You must be a new student at UBC and should be entering directly from a secondary school or tertiary institution
- It is necessary that you have a valid Canadian study permit
- You mustn’t be nominated for a need-and-merit-based International Scholars award
- In addition, you’re required to showcase excellent academic accomplishments, intellectual commitment, strong impression beyond regular academic curriculum, and community engagement.
Outstanding International Student (OIS) award
OIS award is usually offered to international students on a single occasion. It is a merit-based scholarship, which is awarded to eligible entering students
Eligibility for Outstanding International Student award
You are mandated to meet the following conditions in order to be eligible for an OIS Award.
- OIS requires you to have a valid Canadian study permit
- Also, you need to be a new student at UBC and should be entering directly from a secondary school or tertiary institution
- You must not be nominated for a need-and-merit-based International Scholars Award
- More so, you are required to exhibit excellent academic performance, as well as a strong impression beyond the regular academic curriculum
FAQs about the University of British Columbia Scholarships for International Students
Q . Does UBC have scholarships?
Ans. UBC has different scholarships. The scholarships serve as incentives for your academic and extracurricular performance
Q . Does the University of British Columbia offer scholarships for international students?
Ans. Yes, the University of British Columbia makes provisions for various scholarships to international students
Q . Does UBC offer merit scholarships?
Ans. Yes, UBC offers several merit-based scholarships, which include; Outstanding International Student (OIS) award; International Major Entrance Scholarships (IMES); Karen McKellin International Leader of Tomorrow Award; Vantage One Excellence Award; and Donald A. Wehrung International Student Award.