USA Students Exchange Visa Application Procedure

The United States opens her gates to international citizens who come into the U.S. to take part in exchange programs. Before applying for a visa, all exchange visitor applicants are required to be accepted and approved by an authorized program sponsor. When accepted, the applicant will receive from the educational institution or program sponsors the necessary approval documentation to be submitted when applying for a visa.


A J-1 visa is a non-immigrant visa issued by the United States to research scholars, professors and exchange visitors participating in programs that promote cultural exchange, especially to obtain medical or business training within the U.S.A. You may also see how to apply for US student visa.

The exchange visitor program’s J visa is planned to promote the inter-activity of persons, knowledge, and skills in the fields of education, arts, and sciences. Participants include students at all academic levels; trainees obtaining on-the-job training with firms, institutions, and agencies; teachers of primary, secondary, and specialized schools;

Also professors coming to teach or do research at institutions of higher learning; research scholars; professional trainees in the medical and allied fields; and foreign visitors coming for the purpose of travel, observation, consultation, research, training, sharing, or indicating specialized knowledge or skills, or partaking in organized people-to-people interactive programs.

Spouses or unmarried children under the age of 21 who wish to complement or join the principal visa holder of a J-1 visa to the United States for the duration period of his/her stay must have J-2 visas. Spouses or children who do not intend to reside in the United States with the principal visa holder, but who will visit for vacations only, may be eligible to apply for visitor (B-2) visas.

The spouse and/or child of an exchange visitor in the U.S. may not work while holding a J-2 visa unless they have filed Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization. U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) must have reviewed the Form I-765 and given approval to the J-2 holder to work.

A Step-By-Step Guide On How To Apply For

USA Students Exchange Visa Application (J1 Visa)

  1. Find a J Sponsor. When applying for a J1 visa, you will need to find a designated sponsor to accept you into their program. The United States Department of State has the official list of designates sponsor organization
  2. Apply for the DS-2019. Once you have applied and been approved by a designated sponsor organization, the next step is to submit the DS-2019 Form, also known as the “Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J-1) Status”
  3. Pay Your Fees. You will be required to pay a SEVIS I-901 fee to the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) as part of your J-1 visa application – or this fee may already be part of your program fees to your sponsoring organization. Another fee you will be required to pay is the Non-immigrant Visa Application Processing Fee, which is $160 and can be paid by visiting the Department of State’s fee for visa services.
  4. Interview with a U.S. Embassy or Consulate. In order to have your J-1 visa application accepted, you will need to have final approval by a consular officer at a US embassy or consulate. Depending on where you are located, waiting times to get an appointment can vary so it’s important to schedule early to ensure that you have sufficient time before your program begins.

When applying for a J1 visa, you will need to submit the following documents to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate:

  • DS-2019 Form, Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor Status
  • DS-702 Form, A Training/Internship Placement Plan (for exchange visitor trainees or intern visa applicants)
  • Form DS-160 Online Non-immigrant Visa Electronic Application
  • A passport valid for travel to the U.S with validity six months after the intended period of stay in the US
  • One 2×2 photograph

It’s important to check with your particular embassy or consulate to confirm the necessary documents when applying for a J1 visa. How to apply for a J-1 visa will be determined based on your embassy or consulate, as well as your personal situation, so it’s important to make sure you’ve read about what you need to do prior and during your interview.

For further information or questions bothering on “USA Students Exchange Visa Application Procedure” please visit USA Study Visa Application Steps.