The government, through Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship (IRCC) created the Canada Super Visa Program for parents and grandparents of foriegn workers in Canada. Canadians realize that it is often very important for families to keep in touch, notwithstanding the distance that might be separating them. This is also true of parents who have children who have immigrated to other countries in search of greener pastures and opportunities to better their living and that of their family. This type of separation often lingers for years unending, with most parents not been able to physically see their beloved children in such a long periods, this usually takes a huge toll on the aging parents and / or grandparents who will want nothing more than see their children physically again face to face.
For this reason, and for the sake of the socio and mental wellbeing of both parents and children, the Canadian government introduced the Canada super visa as part of the many means in which foreign nationals can visit temporarily or immigrate to Canada permanently.
Understanding what Super Visa is
The Super Visa is a type of visa that is created and meant precisely for the parents, grandparents and guardians of Canadian citizens and permanent residence permit holders. It is a temporary resident permit that allows the parents and / or grandparents of citizens and permit residents to visit and stay for up to two (2) years in Canada at every visit. It is however, only valid for ten (10) years, with this the parents can have entry into Canada as many times as possible within the ten years validity period, the visit period is between 6 months and 2 years and not more than 2 years per visit.
A super visa is different from a multiple entry visa. While both are valid for up to 10 years, the super visa allows a entry duration of 2 years maximum per visit, while, the multiple entry visa has a status that allows a maximum duration of 6 months per visit and any wish to stay longer than this at any particular time, the individual would need to apply for an extension and pay the extension fee.
The super visa program has come as an alternative to applying for a permanent residence, many family’s instead of seeking a permanent residence status rather wish for a Canadian visit visa which allows them the freedom to go in and out of the country after a maximum stay of two years and can be stretched or valid to a 10 years period as the super visa offers.
Super Visa Approval Statistics
Statistics shows that the super visa type of immigration into Canada has become extremely popular amongst parents, grandparents and guardians across the world. The visa type has seen about 89,000 parents and grandparents of Canadian citizens and residents welcomed to Canada since its inception in 2012. Since the inception, more than one-third of the super visas has been awarded to Indian families, almost a total of 36,000 in figure, followed by China, Pakistan, Philippines, and Bangladesh as the top five awardees.
What is the Processing Time for a Super Visa?
The super visa processing time ranges between 8 days to 50 days, also, your country of residence may also impact on the processing time duration. This can also depend on your nationality or the country you are applying from. Some may be shorter or longer.
Super Visa Application Fees
A super visa single or multiple entry to Canada cost $100 per person. This is also the same as part of a visitor visa application. Application for an extension of a visitor visa (super visa) is $100. Renewing a super visa will cost you $200 application fee.
Sponsor your parent or grandparent
Sponsorship fee ($75), principal applicant processing fee ($475) and right of permanent residence fee ($500)
Sponsor your parent or grandparent (without the right of permanent residence fee)
Sponsorship fee ($75) and principal applicant processing fee ($475)
Include the spouse or partner of your parent or grandparent
Processing fee ($550) and right of permanent residence fee ($500)
Include the spouse or partner of your parent or grandparent (without the right of permanent residence fee)
Processing fee ($550)
|Include a dependent child of your parent or grandparent||150(per child)|
For more inquiry into the financial implications of super visa application and any other Canadian type of visa, check visa fees here.
Super Visa Eligibility
To apply for a super visa, a parent or grandparent must first be eligible for a Canadian visit visa.
To be eligible to apply for a super visa, you must meet the following criteria:
- Be a parent or grandparent or guardian of a Canadian citizen or that of a permanent resident.
- Provide a letter of invitation from your child or grand child, which will include with it a:
- A commitment of financial support for the duration of your stay.
- A list of the number of individuals in the household of the citizen or resident.
- A copy of the persons Canadian citizenship or permanent resident documents.
- You must have a medical insurance from a Canadian insurance company and it must be valid for atleast one year from the date of entry, with a finance coverage of atleast $100, 000 and with a valid proof that the medical insurance has been paid.
- Application for a super visa must be done from outside Canada
- You must be eligible to enter Canada. That is not a person of interest for crimes or immigration related offenses.
- Take an immigration medical examination.
Note: That other dependents may not be included in the application.
Proof of funds for Canada Super Visa
The Canadian citizen or resident inviting you over must be able to prove that his or her household meets the minimum necessary income standard. The income table below can be used as a guide to access their ability to meet the funding and income requirement to apply for a super visa.
|Size of Family Unit||Minimum necessary gross income|
|1 person (your child or grandchild)||$25,921|
|More than 7 persons, for each additional person, add||$6,985|
Documents which can be used as proof of funding are listed below:
- Employment insurance stubs.
- Employment letter showing salary and employment date.
- Notice of Assessment or T4/T1 for the most recent tax payment year.
- Pay stubs.
- Bank statements.
Other requirements are also highlighted before your application can be considered. These include the following:
- Your reason for visiting Canada and whether you will leave by choice at the end of your visa validity or expiry of the stipulated time.
- Your ties to your country, whether you have a reason pressing and important enough to return back.
- Your family and finance.
- The overall economic and political situation of your home country.
Super Visa Insurance
A medical insurance is one of the major requirement for the application for a super visa to Canada, without a proof of a medical insurance you application will be denied. A sufficient medical insurance is a legal requirement for a super visa applications. The minimum medical insurance covers atleast a year with a minimum cost of $100,000. This is because the free Canadian medical health care does not extend to visitors and foreign nationals who are neither citizens or permanent residents. Thus, health care insurance is important to ensure the wellbeing of such aged visitors. The insurance helps to pay for medical care, prescription drugs, hospital stays and repatriations. Super visa insurance policies provides a coverage of between $100, 000 to $1,000,000 worth of medical care.
The cost of a super visa insurance for a single person traveling to Canada for a year is between a $100 and $200 per month. However, the cost is much more cheaper for couples or any two individuals applying and traveling together.
How to Apply for a Super Visa
To apply for a super visa, you must apply from outside Canada. you can apply online or on paper. to apply on paper and in person you should visit a visa application centre (VAC). It is however, more beneficial and easier to apply online as this eliminates many bottlenecks that comes with logistics. These the facts that:
- Your application is instant. No need for courier and mailing fees
- Online applications are processed more quickly, as compared to mail delivery time.
- Avoid processing delays. Incomplete applications are returned to you instantly by mail and easily corrected
- Applying online ensures that your application is complete before you submit.
- More documents can easily be submitted online should they be required.
- You get instant updates on the status of your application in your online account.
For more information on how to apply for super visa online, see IRCC website.
Necessary Things to do before you Apply
- Get your documents ready: 1. A letter of invitation; that includes sufficient financial support, number of household persons, copy of citizenship or permanent resident permit.
- Financial proof of minimum necessary income.
- Proof of medical insurance payment.
- A medical examination document proof.
Note: If you are from a visa – required country you will need to do a biometric capture as part of the application process. This entails going to a visa application centre near you to have you digital photo taken and to have your fingerprints captured.
FAQs about Canada Parents and Grandparents Visa