WES Provides New Guidelines To Expedite Educational Credential Assessment

World Education Services (WES) has provided new guidelines for applicants who are pursuing immigration to Canada. The new guidelines makes it easier for immigrants to expedite Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) for Canada immigration.

WES is designated by the Canadian immigration authorities to provide educational assessments. An ECA is very important for many immigration pathways into Canada, including Express Entry.

WES has earlier announced in December that in most cases it only requires immigrants to submit their highest academic credential.

The only two exceptions to the new process are French-language and Indian credentials.

Under the new guidelines, sending in all of the academic credentials in addition to the highest one may now actually slow down the evaluation process.

“As of November 2020, WES applicants need to lodge only their highest completed academic credential for an Educational Credential Assessment,” the organization’s website says. “If you send additional credentials to WES, it may delay the completion of your report.”

Foreign nationals needs to expedite Educational Credential Assessment when they completed their education outside of Canada and wish to:

  • be qualified as the principal applicant for Express Entry, or;
  • earn points for education they obtained outside Canada.

Foreign nationals can also acquire more points for their spouse’s education if they are also coming to Canada with them.

Exceptions To New ECA Rules

WES’ change to its process for ECA dovetails with new guidance from the Canadian immigration authorities.

On its webpage, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) now also states: “In most cases, you only need an assessment for your highest level of academic education.”

That means that a foreign citizen with a master’s degree only needs an ECA for that degree and not his or her bachelor’s degree.

“There are currently four exceptions,” WES states on its webpage. “Those exceptions apply to individuals with a master of engineering, master of education, master of philosophy, or master of technology degree.”

Applicants for Canadian immigration do not need to get an Educational Credentials Assessment from organisations designated by Citizenship and Immigration Canada if they:

  • Have Canadian post-secondary education credential of at least one year or;
  • Can prove that they have personal net worth of $50 million CAD or more acquired through lawful, investment activities or private sector business and have applied for exemptions.

All ECAs need to:

  • have a date of issue on or after the date on which the organisation was designated by Citizenship and Immigration Canada;
  • be less than five years old on the date that IRCC receives the application and;
  • demonstrate that the completed foreign credential equate to a completed Canadian post-secondary credential of at least one year.

These ECAs must be issued from an organization or a professional body designated by IRCC.

There are five designated bodies to produce these Credential assessments in Canada, including:

  • World Education Service
  • Comparative Education Service – University of Toronto School of Continuing Studies
  • International Credential Assessment Service of Canada
  • International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS)
  • International Credential Evaluation Service

Professionals coming to Canada will have their academic credentials evaluated by their respective professional bodies in Canada.

ECAs for doctors and physicians, for instance, are done by the Medical Council of Canada. Pharmacists’ ECAs are assessed by the Pharmacy Examining Board of Canada.