What Visas You Need To Come To Canada For Conferences And Conventions

What documentation you will need as a speaker or attendee, as well as what to do if you have a criminal record.

In the face of the continuing epidemic, event planners are already preparing to host conferences and conventions in person in 2022.

For the autumn, several people have already returned to in-person programs.

Citizens and permanent residents of the United States can already visit Canada as tourists. The border is anticipated to open to fully vaccinated travelers from the rest of the globe by September 7.

As Prime Minister Justin Trudeau predicted, it will be closed to unvaccinated non-essential travelers for a long time.

The federal government decides on public health measures for overseas travelers, which are then implemented across the country.

Provinces, on the other hand, develop their own public health policies based on the COVID-19 condition in their area.

You should verify the latest measures before traveling to Canada at any moment throughout the epidemic.

Federal policies may be found on this government website, while provincial limitations can be found here.

The Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) also has a checklist for the paperwork and other things you’ll need when crossing the border.

Here’s everything you need to know about visitor visas, work permits, and overcoming criminal inadmissibility:

Attendees And Presenters Require Different Documents

A person who wishes to attend a conference in Canada must first get authorization to enter the country, such as an eTA or a visitor’s visa.

There is no need for a work permit. Citizens of the United States can get permission at the border.

Everyone else will require an electronic travel authorization (eTA) or a visitor’s visa.

Electronic Travel Authorisation (eTA):

You may acquire one by filling out an online form. It takes only a few minutes to finish.

The price is $7 Canadian. Most eTAs are issued within minutes of submitting an application.

However, some may take several days to process. The eTA is valid for a period of up to five years.

It allows for multiple visits to Canada for stays of up to six months each.

An eTA may only be obtained by a permanent resident of the United States or a citizen of one of the countries on the list.

There are around sixty nations that are currently qualified. The United Kingdom, France, and Australia are among the members of this group.

Temporary Resident Visa (TRV):

In all other instances, a visiting visa must be applied for. A temporary resident visa is another name for this type of visa.

Most visiting visas are good for six months, although they can be extended.

You may apply for a visiting visa online, much like the eTA. A person who is traveling to Canada to speak at a five-day or less work conference also needs permission to enter the country.

They do not need to get a work permit but will be treated as business visitors.

Depending on which country they are traveling from, they will still require a visiting visa or an electronic travel authorization (eTA).

A person who is traveling to Canada for more than five days to present at a work conference needs entry authorization as well as a work permit.

Crossing the border with a criminal record

Your ability to go to Canada will be hampered if you have a criminal record. Each individual’s scenario will be unique.

Several criteria will determine whether or not a person is criminally inadmissible to Canada, including:

  • the type and number of crimes;
  • jail sentence length, if any; and
  • how long has it been since the phrase was completed? (jail, probation, fine, etc.).

There are three possible ways to get around inadmissibility.

Temporary Resident Permit (TRP):

This is the sole option if a person is inadmissible due to a serious crime and less than five years has gone after their sentence was completed.

A TRP can last anything from a day to three years. It might be one-time usage or allow for numerous submissions.

The applicant must have a compelling cause for wanting to immigrate to Canada.

They must also show that the advantages of their visit exceed the dangers.

Criminal rehabilitation:

This is the process through which a person who was previously ineligible gets re-admissible.

It is permanent, unlike a TRP. This implies that a person does not need to reapply for rehabilitation every time they visit Canada.

Individual rehabilitation is a term used to describe when a person applies for it.

Some persons who have served at least five years of their sentence are eligible for this option. Rehabilitation is also an option.

The latter form occurs naturally. It only applies to those who have committed less serious crimes and have served at least 10 years of their sentence.

Legal Opinion Letter:

A legal opinion letter is a document that a lawyer drafts. It discusses the client’s criminal history and how it has affected him.

A legal opinion letter can explain why a client is not inadmissible or why a TRP or rehabilitation is warranted.

People who have been accused of a crime but have not yet been convicted may find the letter useful.

Furthermore, it can provide police with information on the client’s circumstances.