Who Needs An ETA Canada Travel Document?

The Canadian government introduced Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) travel documents last year as new criteria for travelers from visa-exempt countries. But, what is an ETA? An Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) is a new entry requirement for visa-exempt foreigners or migrants coming to or transiting through Canada.

Only travelers from countries who don’t require a visa to come to Canada are required to obtain eTA, and that’s if only they are traveling to Canada by air. If you are from a visa-exempt country coming to Canada by land, you do not require an eTA. Likewise, anyone who has a Canadian visa, Canadian citizenship or Canadian permanent residence, does not require an eTA travel document to enter Canada.

Classes of People Who Needs An ETA Canada Travel Document

Students and Workers:

If you are from a visa-exempt country and have been issued a work permit or study permit, IRCC will automatically give you an eTA when they accept your work or study permit application.

But, if you are from a visa-exempt country and got your work or study permit before August 1, 2015, you may have to apply for an eTA if you want to leave and re-enter Canada by air.

U.S. Citizens And Permanent Resident:

United state’s citizens do not need an eTA or a visa to travel to Canada. Typically, if you are a U.S. citizen, you can visit or come to Canada with your valid U.S. passport.

However, U.S. Green Card holders or permanent residents must obtain an eTA to travel to Canada, as well as their Green Card.

Dual Citizens:

If you are a dual citizen, or you hold Canadian citizenship and at least one other citizenship of another country, you don’t require an eTA to visit Canada. But, if you are coming to Canada by air, you should be traveling with a Canadian passport.

Canadian Permanent Residents:

If you are a Canadian permanent resident, you do not need an eTA to re-enter Canada. You will need your valid Permanent Resident Card (PR Card) or confirmation of Permanent Resident or Travel Document to return to Canada.

How To Apply For An ETA

Its pretty easy to apply for an eTA if you wish to do so. You can apply online through the Government of Canada website, and the application costs around $7 CAD. But, the application normally only takes a few minutes and, if issued, the eTA is valid for up to five years. Since that eTA is electronically tied to your passport number. You will not be issued a physical document from the Government of Canada.