Withdrawal Of Sponsorship Application For Canada Immigration

Proper timing is key for the successful withdrawal of family or spousal sponsorship applications.

Withdrawal of sponsorship application is necessary for permanent residence applicants when they see a reason to do so. Sometimes things don’t always pan out the way we planned.

Relationships or Family ties can be broken or put to an end. Marriages can end prematurely. Physical distance, language barriers, financial pressures can all put to an end an existing relationship.

What do you do when your relationship, marriage, or family ties are broken after you have submitted your sponsorship and undertaking for Canada immigration? “How do I withdraw my family or spousal sponsorship?”.

Sponsorship Application

Any eligible spouse or family member can sponsor any of their spouse, partner, or dependent children to become permanent residents of Canada. Once you are eligible, you can sponsor them to become permanent residents in Canada. Whenever you are sponsoring anybody, you must be able to

  • support them financially
  • make sure they don’t need social assistance from the government


The fee a sponsor will pay to support a spouse, partner ranges from $1,050, and for a child, it ranges from $150

Processing time?

The processing time for sponsoring a spouse, a partner is about 12 months. To sponsor a child depends on the country of residence of that child.

Before you sponsor any person, the person may need to give biometrics after they have applied to quicken the whole process. The time used in submitting the biometrics is included in the processing time.

Who you can sponsor for an application?

Once you are eligible to sponsor someone to Canada, You are free to sponsor your spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner, or dependent children.

Who is your spouse?

When you talk about spouse, it does not mean the opposite sex, the person can be either sex but must be

  • legally married to you
  • at least 18 years old

Who is your common-law partner?

A common-law partner is different from a spouse because your common-law partner

  • isn’t legally married to you
  • can be either sex
  • is at least 18 years old
  • has been living with you for at least 12 consecutive months, this means that both of you must have lived together in the last year without separation having a conjugal relationship. You can stay away only for a few moments within the year.

If you must stay away from your common-law partner, the time frame must

  • short
  • temporary

Whenever you or your common-law partner wants to end the relationship depends on you, but once done, the IRCC considers the relationship to be over.

You must be able to give proof of your common-law relationship to be eligible to sponsor him or her.

Who is your conjugal partner?

Your conjugal partner is different from both your spouse and common-law partner. A conjugal partner

  • isn’t legally married to you
  • isn’t in a common-law relationship with you
  • can be either sex
  • is at least 18 years old
  • has been in a relationship with you for at least 1 year
  • lives outside Canada
  • can’t live with you in their country of residence
  • marry you because of significant legal and immigration reasons

You must be able to give proof that you could not live together or get married in your conjugal partner’s country to be able to sponsor him or her for permanent residence in Canada.

Who are your dependent children?

Children who qualify as dependants must meet both of these requirements below

  • they’re under 22 years old
  • they don’t have a spouse or common-law partner

Children who are 22 years old or older can qualify as dependants if they meet both of these requirements:

  • they are unable to financially support themselves because of a mental or physical condition
  • they have depended on their parents for financial support since before the age of 22

A dependent child must continue to meet the above requirements until the application has been processed. The only exemption is age.

If they qualify as a dependent child, you can sponsor

  • your own child
  • your spouse’s child
  • your grandchild
  • your common-law partner’s child

Eligibility of the people you’re sponsoring

All the people you want to sponsor must be eligible and to show that they meet the eligibility requirements to be sponsored for Canada permanent residence, your spouse, partner, dependent child, and their dependent children must provide the following documents

all required forms and documents with their application

any additional information we request during processing, including

  • medical exams
  • biometrics

The person you want to sponsor must be admissible into Canada. The person must have a clean criminal record and sound medical history.

How to apply

Two applications are necessary when you are  applying to sponsor your spouse, partner, or child, there are 2 applications:

  • First of all, you must apply to become a sponsor.
  • Then your spouse, partner, or child must apply for permanent residence in Canada

After filling both applications, they must be sent at the same time to IRCC.

You must follow the following four steps to sponsor your spouse, partner, or child to get Canadian permanent residence

Step1: Get the application package

  • The application package includes the following
  • document checklist for you and the persons you want to sponsor
  • forms you and the persons you want to sponsor need to fill out
  • instruction guide to help you and your family members fill out the forms correctly

Then you must make sure that

  • you’re eligible to sponsor before you apply
  • you list all your family members
  • all the information on your application is true
  • your application is complete

Step 2. Pay your application fees

You must pay your application fees for the application to be processed. The application fees may include:

  • processing fees for you, the persons you’re sponsoring, and their dependants
  • the right of permanent residence fee
  • biometrics fee

These fees must be paid online.

Biometrics fee

You must be ready to pay a biometrics fee for both fingerprints and photos when you submit your application.

If you don’t pay your biometrics fee, expect your application to be delayed until you pay. The biometrics fee covers the cost of collecting fingerprints and a digital photo.

Third-party fees

You may also be required to pay third-party fees if you make use of them. The fees may include

  • your medical exam
  • a police certificate

Step 3. Submit your application

The mailing instructions to be used in submitting your completed application are included in the application guide.

There are options for you to choose from while mailing your application. You can make use of a courier service to submit your application.  Or You can also choose to use the regular mail.

Your application may be returned to you if:

  • it’s incomplete
  • fees are missing

Step 4. Send us additional information during processing

During processing, you may be asked to send additional information about the person you’re sponsoring. The information to be submitted may include

  • medical exams
  • police certificates

Withdrawal Of Sponsorship Application- How To Process It

Proper timing is key for the successful withdrawal of family or spousal sponsorship applications. The withdrawal of sponsorship must be done before the sponsored family member or spouse receives their permanent residence as a result of the sponsorship.

It must also be done before the actual processing takes place i.e before the immigration officer reviews the application and evidentiary submission or issued medical instructs etc.

The sponsor can withdraw without any financial penalty attach and without attracting any additional legal obligations vis-à-vis the sponsor’s spouse/family member or the Minister of Citizenship and Immigration.

Bear in mind that the individual that is sponsored cannot appeal a withdrawal since no approval was made on his or her permanent residence application.

In a situation where the sponsor is found but requests from Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) to withdraw the undertaking and sponsorship before processing has begun, the application and the processing fee are normally returned, minus the sponsorship cost recovery is refunded.

How to Withdraw Your Application

To initiate withdrawal of sponsorship, log on to the IRCC website and submit your withdrawal request by filling a web form.

You will be asked to fill in details such as your full name, date of birth, the date that the application was submitted, the type of application you wish to make, and the reason for withdrawal of sponsorship.

Please note that Sponsorship withdrawal requests should be carried out properly, and not be taken lightly.

A failure to properly cancel or withdraw sponsorship can leave the sponsor with an onerous three-year undertaking obligation and a significant Crown debt.

Why Canada sponsorship applications are withdrawn

Many people have different reasons for withdrawing sponsorship applications for Canadian immigration.

For instance, a family member who has received a permanent residence permit does not need another permit to live in Canada, so, if a sponsor has included the person in an application, the person’s application must then be withdrawn.

There are several other reasons for the withdrawal of family sponsorship applications like divorce. An applicant can withdraw an application if they have separated from their partners or spouses.

When to expect a refund when withdrawing sponsorship application

You may get a refund during withdrawal of sponsorship application for Canada immigration but the amount to be refunded depends on the progress already made with your application.

  • If your sponsor’s application process has not started, you will get all fees back.
  • If the application process has started, then, you will not get the C$75 sponsorship fee back but you will be refunded all other fees.
  • the application process has been concluded, but the permanent residence processing has not started, then, you will not get the C$75 sponsorship fee back. You will get all other fees back.
  • the processing of the sponsor’s application has been concluded and the permanent residence application for the sponsored person has started, you will get the Right of Permanent Residence Fee (C$490 per person) back, if applicable.
  • If your application was refused: You will not get any fees back.

Frequently Asked Questions About Withdrawal of Sponsorship Application

Q. How do I withdraw my sponsorship application?

Ans. To withdraw a sponsorship application for Canadian immigration, you have to fill a withdrawal form and fill in the following information

  • Your name,
  • Your date of birth,
  • complete address,
  • The date the application was sent,
  • Your client ID number (if available),
  • The type of application (for example, sponsorship of my spouse),
  • The reason for the withdrawal

Q. Will i get a refund if I withdraw my sponsorship application for Canada immigration?

Ans. Yes, you will get a refund if you apply for withdrawal of sponsorship application for Canada immigration. The refund will depend on the state of the application process. But if your application was rejected, you won’t get a refund.