Video game production, as well as the film and TV industry, saw a major decline in revenue in 2020 in light of the COVID-19 shutdowns. But, since reopening, these sectors have been thriving.
Voice acting, casting, and motion capture for video games, as well as film and TV productions, may continue to be in operation as long as health and safety measures remain firmly in place.
Workers in these industries understand the importance of maintaining physical or social distancing and following safety procedures as much as possible. This is to ensure that COVID-19 cases do not increase as a result of their operation, which may spark further lockdowns.
In addition, the film and TV sector is also doing exceptionally well.
Many productions are underway, including Moonfall starring Halle Berry and directed by Roland Emmerich. The film and TV industries are projected to boom in the year 2021.
How can video game workers immigrate to Canada for work?
Talented individuals who would like to work in the Canadian video game industry may have different options to choose.
If you have a job offer, your Canadian employer will be required to get a neutral or positive Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA). This would demonstrate that there is no permanent resident or Canadian citizen available to carry out the duties of the job. However, some occupations may not need an LMIA.
If the job offer is in Quebec province, you will also have to get a Certificat d’acceptation du Québec (CAQ). This document, sent out by Quebec’s immigration ministry, will allow you to work in Quebec.
The employer will then provide a copy of the LMIA letter to you as well as a job offer letter. These two letters will be needed when you apply for a work permit from Canada’s immigration department.
The work permit will be given at the port of entry you enter Canada through.
What Is The Global Talent Stream?
This is a Canadian workstream that enables employees from across the globe to attain a work permit within the period of two weeks so that they can join the respective company with immediate effect and contribute to the success of the institution. Work permits are generally not granted so swiftly so this definitely comes as a boon to companies.
Who Can Apply For This And How Much Does It Cost?
Every company cannot expect that their overseas employees will get this work permit within two weeks. This initiative is designed with the intention of serving high-end companies that require specific high-end personnel from overseas to function and grow. This is indeed a very useful service. However, it always comes at a fair price per position. So it is only when it’s completely necessary that companies opt to do this.
General Criteria For The Global Talent Stream:
Foreign Workers will be qualified for priority processing by IRCC with a target of two-week processing – a service standard to be met by IRCC 80% of the time – if the foreign national meets the following criteria:
- Applicants must have submitted their work permit by e-application on June 12, 2017, or later
- Applicants must be applying outside of Canada; and,
- Has been identified within ESDC’s Global Talent Stream.
Please note: Once the foreign worker applies to IRCC, the two-week standard for work permit processing begins. Therefore, workers that have received a positive LMIA are expected to apply in a timely manner.
Specific Requirements Includes:
Applicants must meet the following in other to successfully apply for the two-week work permit processing:
- Applicant must submit a complete application
- Self-identify for Global Talent Stream in the Come to Canada Wizard during the application process.
- Applicants whose Diploma and Marriage certificate (if married) is not in English are required to translate legally to English before submission
- Applicants are required to submit medical exams upfront (where required by the Act and Regulations).
- Applicant must get Employer Reference Letter online. Template.
- At the time of e-application, applicants are required to submit a biometric fee at the time (where required by the Regulations)
- Must obtain biometrics prior to the two weeks elapsing from time of application
- The foreign worker will not need to additionally apply for an Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA), it will automatically be issued as part of the application process where applicable.
- The foreign worker will need a visa (where required by the Regulations), the visa will be issued as part of the work permit process.
Applicants must meet the above criteria to enable IRCC officers to finalize the application decision within the period of two weeks.