Working In The UK As An Expatriate
Home » Working In The UK As An Expatriate

Working In The UK As An Expatriate

Are you interested in working in the UK as an expatriate? The UK and London is an attractive destination for foreign employees and global companies. This article offers you a rundown of the real aspects of working in the UK, from entry permits to British business etiquette.

Many foreign nationals are fluent in at least one more language than many British citizens. This is a significant advantage if you consider working in the UK as an expatriate. There is usually a high demand for speakers of foreign languages from engineers to teachers, and local government officials to sales personnel. Also, highly-skilled migrants fluent in traditional languages spoken by migrant communities in the UK are seriously sought after.

The UK labor force reached over 32.7 million in 2014. Europe’s financial capital attracts a lot of international business, and most multinational companies have a London branch.

You may also like How to get PR from a temporary worker…

Getting Work Permit to Work in the UK

With the demand for foreign language speakers, English remains an essential requirement for all working in the UK. If you want a permit to work or an entry clearance in the UK as an expatriate, English language skills are a must. This doesn’t apply to foreign nationals of most EU/EEA member states.

Work permits are given on a points-based system. If you enter the UK on an expat assignment, an Intra-Company Transfer, or have employment in the UK, your employer must act as your sponsor. They will apply for a work permit for you. However, it is your responsibility to meet the requirements for working in the UK.

For persons intending to work in the UK as an expatriate whose English requires brushing up, there are several language schools and British universities (also online) which provides language courses. The University of Cambridge’s ESOL (English for speakers of other languages) program provides varieties of certificates and professional English exams, such as Business English Certificate (BEC).

Another is CIELT (Certificate in English Language Test), offered by the College of Excellence; and two long-standing testing systems; IELTS and TOEFL, which are provided by the British Council among many institutions around.

You may also like IELTS for Canadian Immigration…

Share this update:

Similar Posts